Jump to content
PapaShogun

Best goal line stands you remember.

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to think of some notable ones. As a 49ers fan, the game against the Eagles in 2001 was probably the best I ever saw. Eagles had 6 plays (thanks to a 49ers penalty on 4th down giving the Eagles a fresh set) inside the 2 yard line to score, and failed via a Donovan McNabb interception. 

The other would be in Super Bowl 16 against the Bengals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ones by the Bengals:  The Monday night opener against Baltimore.  They had like 8-9 plays inside the 8 yard line (after a penalty gave them a new set of downs on 3rd or 4th down).  Never scored a point.  Bengals won

 

Against us?  Easily Super Bowl 16.  Couldn't punch it in from the 2 yard line, despite going for it on fourth down, and not losing any yards along the way.  Just got stoned.  Maybe if that drive scores, the historical course of our team changes, if we would have beaten the 49ers..  San Fran's SB run started there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Against us?  Easily Super Bowl 16.  Couldn't punch it in from the 2 yard line, despite going for it on fourth down, and not losing any yards along the way.  Just got stoned.  Maybe if that drive scores, the historical course of our team changes, if we would have beaten the 49ers..  San Fran's SB run started there.

Dang, second post and you already stole my thunder heh as that's the one I was going to mention. 

The Giants vs Broncos SB had one too...Broncos were 1st and goal at the 1-yd line and couldn't get in. Even worse, they missed a short FG, so zero points. Coulda be a very different SB if they'd scored a TD, Denver would've gone up 17-7 in the 2nd quarter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Malcolm Butler.

Bias aside, SB XXXIV.

Are you talking about the one play that was inside the ten yard line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PapaShogun said:

Are you talking about the one play that was inside the ten yard line?

Yeah. It was technically near the goal line...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah. It was technically near the goal line...

 

Yeah. I guess everyone can have a subjective definition of what a goal line stand is. For me, I usually think of it as multiple downs inside the 5 to 1 yard line, usually ending on a turn on downs. Not really with the clock expiring. To each their own though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget the exact year but the Vikings stalling the Bears 4 straight plays from the 1 then Gus Frerotte hits a wide open Bernard Berrian for a 99 yard TD on Monday Night Football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, KOTN-93 said:

I forget the exact year but the Vikings stalling the Bears 4 straight plays from the 1 then Gus Frerotte hits a wide open Bernard Berrian for a 99 yard TD on Monday Night Football

That's the first one I thought. Would have been 2008, I think it was actually SNF though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giants vs Raiders in 2005. 

I can't remember a lot about it but I remember the Giants stalling the Raiders 4 straight times near the end of the game.

Edited by Jimmy Austin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 49'ers Ravens Superb Owl obviously come to mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

only one that stands out for the steelers was the 94 AFC title game against the chargers, lucky for me I was too young to care for it

Edited by August4th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Danand said:

The 49'ers Ravens Superb Owl obviously come to mind. 

Yep, this one and the Malcolm Butler INT are the two that pop into my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 7:39 AM, INbengalfan said:

Ones by the Bengals:  The Monday night opener against Baltimore.  They had like 8-9 plays inside the 8 yard line (after a penalty gave them a new set of downs on 3rd or 4th down).  Never scored a point.  Bengals won

 

Against us?  Easily Super Bowl 16.  Couldn't punch it in from the 2 yard line, despite going for it on fourth down, and not losing any yards along the way.  Just got stoned.  Maybe if that drive scores, the historical course of our team changes, if we would have beaten the 49ers..  San Fran's SB run started there.

I think the Bengals also had a goal line stand against the Cardinals in Week 1 of the 1988 season that was a springboard to SB XXIII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×