Bills to start Josh Allen; Peterman era over

wackywabbit

I was never an Allen fan to begin with.   Thought he was a mid round talent at best, and thought his best chance of success was going to a team where he would have time to sit and learn behind a good QB for AT LEAST a year and a team that knows how to add talent, at least on offense (i.e...Patriots, Steelers, Saints).   However, he went to a team that was, at best, going to have AJ McCarron starting, a mediocre OLine and just meh weapons on offense.

I never say never....Allen COULD become something.....but I didnt like him in general, and he went to possible one of the worst situations a QB like him couldve went to.

I do hope he succeeds though.   Ive always had a soft spot for the Bills.

27 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

What?  Has Peterman or Allen been traded to Cleveland?

In fairness you can make a strong case that Buffalo has been just as much as a QB graveyard as Cleveland since Jim Kelly.

Buffalo:

Todd Collins
Alex Van Pelt
Doug Flutie
Rob Johnson
Drew Bledsoe
JP Losman
Kelly Holcomb
Trent Edwards
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Brian Brohm
EJ Manuel
Thad Lewis
Jeff Tuel
Kyle Orton
Matt Cassel
Tyrod Taylor
Nathan Peterman

Cleveland:

Tim Couch
Ty Detmer
Doug Pederson
Spergon Wynn
Kelly Holcomb
Jeff Garcia
Luke McCown
Trent Dilfer
Charlie Frye
Derek Anderson
Brady Quinn
Ken Dorsey
Bruce Gradkowski
Colt McCoy
Jake Delhomme
Seneca Wallace
Brandon Weeden
Thad Lewis
Brian Hoyer
Jason Campbell
Connor Shaw
Johnny Manziel
Austin Davis
Josh McCown
Robert Griffin III
Cody Kessler
DeShone Kizer
Kevin Hogan
Tyrod Taylor

Ok nevermind, the Browns are clearly worse. But Buffalo comes in a close second, I'd have to imagine.

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

In fairness you can make a strong case that Buffalo has been just as much as a QB graveyard as Cleveland since Jim Kelly.

Buffalo:

Todd Collins
Alex Van Pelt
Doug Flutie
Rob Johnson
Drew Bledsoe
JP Losman
Kelly Holcomb
Trent Edwards
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Brian Brohm
EJ Manuel
Thad Lewis
Jeff Tuel
Kyle Orton
Matt Cassel
Tyrod Taylor
Nathan Peterman

Cleveland:

Tim Couch
Ty Detmer
Doug Pederson
Spergon Wynn
Kelly Holcomb
Jeff Garcia
Luke McCown
Trent Dilfer
Charlie Frye
Derek Anderson
Brady Quinn
Ken Dorsey
Bruce Gradkowski
Colt McCoy
Jake Delhomme
Seneca Wallace
Brandon Weeden
Thad Lewis
Brian Hoyer
Jason Campbell
Connor Shaw
Johnny Manziel
Austin Davis
Josh McCown
Robert Griffin III
Cody Kessler
DeShone Kizer
Kevin Hogan
Tyrod Taylor

Ok nevermind, the Browns are clearly worse. But Buffalo comes in a close second, I'd have to imagine.

Hey, Flutie was the man in Buffalo.  His stats may not have been the greatest, but he went 21-9 in 3 years in Buffalo where in the games he didn't start, they went 8-10.  The playoff drought started after Flutie, that's when the hopelessness started for the Bills.

Allen is doomed. Probably the only way to save his career is to fake his death or have an attack of selective amnesia wherein he forgets that he ever played football or was drafted by the Bills, but still remembers the way out of the ADPRO Center parking lot.

19 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Of the guys you listed only Peyton, Stafford, and Alex Smith had a really poor supporting cast. And all of them except Smith found success in some form their rookie seasons. And I'm not sure 49ers fans would think Smith was worth the first pick for them. And it's not just confidence -there's also working on mechanics that are harder to develop when a quarterback is actively playing and health factors to consider. The Bills are a dumpster fire on offense... I'm not sure if any first year starter you listed were even close. If they had some decent blockers or receivers, this would be a different story. But that's not the case, he will have no help. And there's certainly a lot of potential harm that can be done by throwing in a QB that everyone knew was raw in the first place. I'm not saying it can't work out, but I definitely don't think the Bills are putting him in the best position to succeed by starting him now.

You may have forgotten that Steve Young broke into the NFL with the Buccs....definitely a poor supporting cast. Bill Walsh traded picks to get Steve and it was not a popular move. Bill was the only one who wanted him.

How can you sit there and start Peterman weekly knowing hes trash, while you have a 1st round pick sitting on the bench? Josh Allen is either going to make it or break, he wasn't going to be good just because he sat behind Peterman on the bench. He needs to play at some point. If hes mentally tough, he'll be able to go through it, if hes mentally weak he was never mentally strong to begin with and was always destined to bust. 

1 minute ago, NYJets4716 said:

How can you sit there and start Peterman weekly knowing hes trash, while you have a 1st round pick sitting on the bench? Josh Allen is either going to make it or break, he wasn't going to be good just because he sat behind Peterman on the bench. He needs to play at some point. If hes mentally tough, he'll be able to go through it, if hes mentally weak he was never mentally strong to begin with and was always destined to bust. 

This is so off the mark. Some QB's do legitimately need to develop off the field and rework fundamentals. Aaron Rodgers was a prime example, he would not be the QB he is today if he was thrown into the fire off the bat. McCarthy needed to rework his entire game. If he was starting every week you were never going to get him to change habits that much and be as ready as he was in 2008, he'd need to just figure out how to make it work with the flaws. He was far better for sitting. Allen is another example of that where he has raw talent but needs big fundamental adjustments. He is not going to have that development when he has to focus on gameplans and winning every week and he's just going to stay in his old habits. Not to mention he will be behind a terrible line and is basically going into a situation where he has no shot of winning, which is also a major issue for a young QB. 

This idea that every QB is going to turn out however they were going to turn out whether you develop them or throw them into the fire right away is asinine. Geno Smith for your team was a great example of that. He had the physical talent but needed to learn the game better, acclimate to it's speed, lose the tunnel vision and have more accurate throwing mechanics. An injury thrusted him into the starting spot and despite some bright flashes he never got over his flaws because he was never given the time to develop. 

This is just a self fulfilling prophecy. No it's not true that if Allen can't make it work now he never would have been able to. Some QB's need the time. 

2 hours ago, tom cody said:

I know Peterman is bad but way to soon to be starting Allen. As others have said the Bills should have kept Taylor. 

I honestly didn't mind them trading away Tyrod.  They got the 1st pick in the 3rd round for him and got rid of his $18 million contract.  That was too much of a deal to pass up. 

Where they goofed was ONLY signing AJ McCarron.  They should have picked up another QB at the very least for the duration of the preseason in case of injury.  One might say that was hindsight, but who didn't see this coming from a mile away with that swiss cheese oline which lost starters from last season and was masked at how poor they really were from Shady and Tryod's scrambling ability.

29 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

While mental toughness is indeed important for a QB, I don't think it's a requirement. Tbh, I consider both Rodgers and Brady to be divas at times and they're the best two signal callers in football. Cam Newton would also fit in this category. I think all 3 would  retire before playing for Buffalo.

Archived