Bills to start Josh Allen; Peterman era over

wackywabbit

22 minutes ago, N4L said:

I watched the Bills Bengal preseason game. Allen was running for his life for the entire first half. 

I didn't bother watching any of the ravens bills game, how did their OL look?

What will the weather be like in Buffalo this weekend? 

Do you remember the Houston Texans circa 2002?

Kinda like that.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Peyton Manning? Steve Young? Jared Goff? Alex Smith? Matthew Stafford? Eli Manning? That’s not even bringing up marginal seasons like Derek Carr’s, Joe Flacco’s, Matt Ryan’s, or Carson Wentz’. Granted not all of those guys were being blocked by parking cones or throwing to mannequins, but there are certainly a fair share of QBs that were “fed to the wolves” or didn’t “enjoy success early in their career”.

I can't speak to Steve Young. He was before my time. Alex Smith is more the exception than the rule based on his early career. Goff, Manning, Stafford, and Eli were all much more developed QBs than Allen. Watching Allen in college, I thought the only chance he had is if he landed somewhere that would allow him to sit and work on his issues. I think this is a disastrous move.

5 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

That's never been what the team has said. 

I don't know about sitting and learning all season, but I'd heard multiple (generally well-informed) folks stating that the aim was to let Peterman serve as the Mayan sacrificial goat through the rough starting slate of games - at least through Week 4 and Green Bay - before tossing Allen in there.

44 minutes ago, The LBC said:

In before the Chargers find a way to make him look way more polished than he actually is.

Yeah. I don't have much faith in the D-line to generate consistent pressure without Bosa, even with how bad the Bills O-line is.

I would like to see Bradley utilize a lot of Blitz packages like the one we saw Derwin James get a sack on. I also think King is very good to use in blitz packages. This is probably our best bet at generating pressure until Bosa gets back. It's pretty easy to just double team Ingram and count on the fact that the other 3 guys on the D-line aren't going to do much.

I'm hoping that week 1 was just a bad showing against a team that seems to have their number and not a sign of (another) slow start.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I can't speak to Steve Young. He was before my time. Alex Smith is more the exception than the rule based on his early career. Goff, Manning, Stafford, and Eli were all much more developed QBs than Allen. Watching Allen in college, I thought the only chance he had is if he landed somewhere that would allow him to sit and work on his issues. I think this is a disastrous move.

Agreed, those guys weren’t the projects Allen is slated to be. 

Are there that many toolsy guys that come in, re-build/learn the fundamentals, and show out? Rodgers cleaned up a lot but I don’t think he was nearly the project Allen was.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Agreed, those guys weren’t the projects Allen is slated to be. 

Are there that many toolsy guys that come in, re-build/learn the fundamentals, and show out? Rodgers cleaned up a lot but I don’t think he was nearly the project Allen was.

There aren't a lot who come to mind. Mahomes is a recent example if he continues to play well, but I generally don't like those type of QB prospects.

36 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Yeah. I don't have much faith in the D-line to generate consistent pressure without Bosa, even with how bad the Bills O-line is.

I would like to see Bradley utilize a lot of Blitz packages like the one we saw Derwin James get a sack on. I also think King is very good to use in blitz packages. This is probably our best bet at generating pressure until Bosa gets back. It's pretty easy to just double team Ingram and count on the fact that the other 3 guys on the D-line aren't going to do much.

I'm hoping that week 1 was just a bad showing against a team that seems to have their number and not a sign of (another) slow start.

I'd just like to see him stop making excuses like "he doesn't have ideal experience in the scheme" to try to justify post-facto for boneheaded decisions, like spending a 2nd round pick on a linebacker who you then only give 2 snaps to despite the guy he's intended to replace/improve-upon getting his butt kicked all day long and putting up the lowest efficiency among any of the LB's that played for the defense.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

I'd just like to see him stop making excuses like "he doesn't have ideal experience in the scheme" to try to justify post-facto for boneheaded decisions, like spending a 2nd round pick on a linebacker who you then only give 2 snaps to despite the guy he's intended to replace/improve-upon getting his butt kicked all day long and putting up the lowest efficiency among any of the LB's that played for the defense.

I mean I agree. I'll never understand the love affair that the coaches seem to have with Emmanuel, he's pretty much terrible at everything other than setting the edge and defending the run. In coverage he is laughably bad. 

That having been said, that doesn't really change my point from what I originally said. I think we really need to utilize more blitz packages until Bosa gets back, whether it's Nwosu or Emmanuel getting the majority of snaps.

4 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Combination of Peterman absolutely sucking, and a division rival starting a rookie QB who looked pretty good forced the Bills to believe they might have something special too.

Oh Bills.

If you believe Darnold and the Jets factored into this decision you're either a weak troll or as smart as a bag of rocks.

12 minutes ago, Groink said:

No line and nobody to throw to.  This isn't looking good.

Allen actually played ok in limited action against the Ravens.  Tubby Kelvin dropped an easy td pass.

How much of this was at a point in the game where the Ravens felt more than comfortable in the result?  I'm not saying they eased up and went straight prevent, but they were likely leaning more towards playing contain and kill-the-clock than just plain "kill" once the shutout wasn't on the table anymore.  And it's worth noting that that drive down the field for the FG, while led by Allen, was on the back almost exclusive of his scrambling from shotgun and penalties, not from ball-movement via his arm (save maybe for the PI call Benjamin drew on Brandon Carr).

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

I don't know about sitting and learning all season, but I'd heard multiple (generally well-informed) folks stating that the aim was to let Peterman serve as the Mayan sacrificial goat through the rough starting slate of games - at least through Week 4 and Green Bay - before tossing Allen in there.

That I absolutely believe and agree with. The plan was definitely not to start him this early but obviously the coaching staff didn't think Peterman would fail so miserably. The trade of McCarron looks idiotic now because the coaching is left with no other option but to throw Allen against the Chargers, Vikings and Packers in a row which is awful. 

Archived