This guy had an Oustanding Game

RSkinGM

Our much maligned left guard, Shawn Lauvao. I just watched every play for him on replay. All you haters--if you do this, you have be happy/impressed. If he stays healthy he is more than adequate.

Guy gets so beat up on this board. I wanted to do a separate post to point out how well he played. He pass blocked and run blocked very well. Moved well. He's more an asset than liability. Watch it for yourself !

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Our much maligned left guard, Shawn Lauvao. I just watched every play for him on replay. All you haters--if you do this, you have be happy/impressed. If he stays healthy he is more than adequate.

Guy gets so beat up on this board. I wanted to do a separate post to point out how well he played. He pass blocked and run blocked very well. Moved well. He's more an asset than liability. Watch it for yourself !

He’s always been a good run blocker. Lauvao’s issue is that at times he gets beat badly in pass protection and when that happens it becomes a gif or whatever and people can’t move on past those few plays a game where he gets beat badly in pass protection to see that he’s serviceable to good the rest of the game. A few bad plays does not break a player or define him.

He’s not as bad as most people think he is. There’s a reason why he’s still here and there’s a reason why Callahan and Gruden like him and trust him. Callahan basically said he loved him when asked after they re-signed him after the draft. 

He did a good job sealing the DT for this Chris Thompson run.

Robbie D wants you to watch Roullier on this play which is definitely great but Lauvao also did a great job of pulling to the right side in this play and picking up Patrick Peterson.

Solid pass protection from the entire OL, including Lauvao on these plays.

23 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Alex Smith's (my adoptee) presence can make everyone around him better, even Lauvao. Insanity

This is true, Alex does make a difference, especially in the running game. John Kiem was pointing out on the The Team980 yesterday that they’re running a lot of different motion,  zone read fakes, RPO and different run formations because Alex is good at that and has always been since he learned it all in college at Utah while being coached by Urban Meyer.

Kiem also said that Alex Smith makes our running game more diverse in the way RG3 used to when he was healthy and playing in 2012, 13 & 14.

I noticed this too, Lauvao looked good. 

I’m still concerned about what happens when we face a team with strong interior pass-rush — I’m thinking about the Eagles of course, but the Panthers might give us an earlier test. The Cardinals didn’t have much of that to test us. We know Lauvao can run block when he’s healthy, it's been pass protection where he really struggles. And I’m still concerned that Roullier may get overpowered by a real stud DT. 

But for one game at least, the spots that are clearly the two weakest on the OL held their own and then some. That’s a great sign. Just stay healthy boys!

I looked over the entire Twitter thread that @turtle28 posted (not just the highlights) and I saw everything I have seen of him for the past five years.

As turtle said, he's good in the run game, but cannot pass block worth crap one-on-one. The only times that I saw him hold his ground in all of those snippets is when he was getting help from either Roullier or Wililams (on one of them, Roullier absolutely bails Lauvao out from getting pushed straight into Smith). Solid pulling guard, but unless Jay is going to commit to this running game for the entire season like he did against the Cardinals, Lauvao will be a liability down the line.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

I looked over the entire Twitter thread that @turtle28 posted (not just the highlights) and I saw everything I have seen of him for the past five years.

As turtle said, he's good in the run game, but cannot pass block worth crap one-on-one. The only times that I saw him hold his ground in all of those snippets is when he was getting help from either Roullier or Wililams (on one of them, Roullier absolutely bails Lauvao out from getting pushed straight into Smith). Solid pulling guard, but unless Jay is going to commit to this running game for the entire season like he did against the Cardinals, Lauvao will be a liability down the line.

I think that is what most expect though in pass protection. No teams have good to great 5 OL that rarely give up pressures. I think everyone has always seen the interior OL in this way, Scherff will handle one DT 1 on 1 and Roullier/Lauvao will handle the other DT together unless there’s a zero tech going right over Roullier or there’s a blitz in the A gap and they each have to block one guy.

I think all in all the interior pass blocking of Roullier and Lauvao won’t be as big of an issue as it was when Cousins was our QB and especially when RG3 was our QB because of Alex Smith’s pocket presence. Smith moves so well in the pocket and he has an elite ability to extend plays/move in the pocket and buy time to find open WRs downfield or take off for a short run when things are covered up downfield or he gets pressure right away. I think Alex alone makes both the run game and the pass protection better just because of that.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I think that is what most expect though in pass protection. No teams have good to great 5 OL that rarely give up pressures. I think everyone has always seen the interior OL in this way, Scherff will handle one DT 1 on 1 and Roullier/Lauvao will handle the other DT together unless there’s a zero tech going right over Roullier or there’s a blitz in the A gap and they each have to block one guy.

If it were an occasional loss of anchor, that would come with the territory. With Lauvao, it's every single time. He cannot anchor in pass protection.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I think all in all the interior pass blocking of Roullier and Lauvao won’t be as big of an issue as it was when Cousins was our QB and especially when RG3 was our QB because of Alex Smith’s pocket presence. Smith moves so well in the pocket and he has an elite ability to extend plays/move in the pocket and buy time to find open WRs downfield or take off for a short run when things are covered up downfield or he gets pressure right away. I think Alex alone makes both the run game and the pass protection better just because of that.

I hope you're right. However, from what I have seen, there won't be a pocket if Lauvao is expected to hold up 1v1 because he's going to be bull rushed right into the backfield.

Archived