One Game-2 To I R .

RSkinGM

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m guessing there must be ligament damage.

The other thing is that there’s just a roster crunch issue. 

With only 53 roster spots available, it’s really tough to keep guys in one of those spots when they aren’t going to be able to play for numerous weeks. That issue is exacerbated by the fact that this particular roster has about 5 guys (Apke, SDH, Adonis, Christian, maybe Dunn) who are essentially red-shirting this year and really can only see the field on ST or in a total desperation situation. 

Which is why we’ve already seen them go the IR route with guys like Byron Marshall and Anthony Lanier. When a guy is not likely to be an *impact* player when he returns, it’s hard to justify keeping that roster spot empty until he comes back. 

Chesson is essentially another Brian Quick. Big guy, quality blocker, potential core ST contributor. He played a big role on ST for the Chiefs last year, and he’s obviously familiar with Alex Smith, so I think that’s where you see him getting the nod over Simmie Cobbs (who is likely the better pure receiver). 

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The other thing is that there’s just a roster crunch issue. 

With only 53 roster spots available, it’s really tough to keep guys in one of those spots when they aren’t going to be able to play for numerous weeks. That issue is exacerbated by the fact that this particular roster has about 5 guys (Apke, SDH, Adonis, Christian, maybe Dunn) who are essentially red-shirting this year and really can only see the field on ST or in a total desperation situation. 

Which is why we’ve already seen them go the IR route with guys like Byron Marshall and Anthony Lanier. When a guy is not likely to be an *impact* player when he returns, it’s hard to justify keeping that roster spot empty until he comes back. 

Chesson is essentially another Brian Quick. Big guy, quality blocker, potential core ST contributor. He played a big role on ST for the Chiefs last year, and he’s obviously familiar with Alex Smith, so I think that’s where you see him getting the nod over Simmie Cobbs (who is likely the better pure receiver). 

The active rosters really need to be expanded in the next CBA, not by much but to at least to 60.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The active rosters really need to be expanded in the next CBA, not by much but to at least to 60.

I agree with you on this. I might keep it at 56 or 57, a 7-player increase would be a really big jump. And it would allow the good teams to hoard even more talent, keeping guys who can play from getting an opportunity elsewhere. 

But the fact that we had to IR a guy like Anthony Lanier — and can’t keep an actual FB, and several other complaints — is silly.  I don’t want to get to the point where teams have space to be keeping a long punter and a short punter or a designated Hail Mary QB or any other ridiculous level of specialization, but I do think they have to make some adjustments based on the increased frequency of injuries in the game today. And based on the desire to protect player safety by keeping them off the field when they’re hurt, instead of needing them to press them back into action before they’re fully healthy because of roster issues. 

38 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/trey-quinn-moving-ir-leaves-few-holes-redskins-fill

Hard to believe either has  a chance to return this year after having screws placed in two leg bones. 6-8 recovery seems way optimistic.  Hope it happens !

I don’t think there’s any reason to rush it with them. Preferably we can keep them on IR all year and then they can come back  healthy next April/May for OTAs & Minicamp.

Im more than comfortable with Harris and Brian Quick being the 4 & 5 guys and someone like Chesson or Cobbs being the 6th guy.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I agree with you on this. I might keep it at 56 or 57, a 7-player increase would be a really big jump. And it would allow the good teams to hoard even more talent, keeping guys who can play from getting an opportunity elsewhere. 

But the fact that we had to IR a guy like Anthony Lanier — and can’t keep an actual FB, and several other complaints — is silly.  I don’t want to get to the point where teams have space to be keeping a long punter and a short punter or a designated Hail Mary QB or any other ridiculous level of specialization, but I do think they have to make some adjustments based on the increased frequency of injuries in the game today. And based on the desire to protect player safety by keeping them off the field when they’re hurt, instead of needing them to press them back into action before they’re fully healthy because of roster issues. 

I just think it’s pretty obvious with all the injuries that if teams could keep 1 extra OL, DL, a 3rd QB again, a 4th TE & an extra LB that it would help out and that instead of having only 46 players be active on game day, that would be increased as well. Honestly, I frankly don’t understand why only 46 of the 53 are active on game day, IMO they all should be active. If that’s fixed, that would help with depth as well.

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He wasn’t a starter, or really close to being one. It’s a loss but not close to being a major one. He was the 5th WR on the team which, is essentially a 3rd string player.

It’s true he was the punt returner but we lose nothing in going from Quinn to Danny Johnson or Greg Stroman as our punt returner. My guess is it will be Danny Johnson who they had as the kick returner vs the Cardinals.

Every injury to a "3rd stringer" means that one of our "higher ups" has to take those reps in the game, risking injuries to them as well.

Injuries are never good things.

19 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

So crazy how anyone who gets hurt on this team needs surgery and is IRed. What happened to a nice high ankle sprain 2-4 weeks?

You ever think that Gruden is as wrong about his diagnosis? Gruden isn’t a doctor he bumbles and stumbles through injury reports like someone is pulling his teeth. 

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Every injury to a "3rd stringer" means that one of our "higher ups" has to take those reps in the game, risking injuries to them as well.

Injuries are never good things.

What higher ups have to take more reps in a game because Quinn and Sims got injured?

Archived