Which 1st round QB since 2016 would you most like to have on your roster?

Kiwibrown

which QB  

99 members have voted

1. 1. ??

I get that its been an amazing 2 games for Mahomes statistically and he has definitely shown that he can pretty much (physically) make most all the throws. He has a cannon. No doubt. 

But...HE HAS PLAYED 2 GAMES. Theres absolutely 0 chance he sustains this level of play. 

People are just insanely inept to becoming prisoners of the moment. I mean, 2 regular season games and suddenly Mahomes is the best young QB, yet I havent seen many mentions at all of Jimmy GQ or Watson, who both would have been two of the top candidates (behind Wentz obvi) 2-3 weeks ago before the season began.

So I guess now suddenly 2 games are enough of a sample size to determine amytning about any player. ?

Also, I admit Mahomes has proved me wrong about him so far, but I still have my doubts about him and think he could crash back down to earth hard. 

I heard a stat via Ryan Russillo on theringer.com that only 9 percent of Mahomes' completions have been "contested" throws. NINE percent. That's ridiculous. So over 90 percent of his completions so far this year have literally been to guys who were already open. Really, it says more about Andy Reid's ability to scheme around his guys on offense and how KC has done such a good job of building this offense in the exact way they envisioned it with Mahomes at QB. And of course it speaks to how talented Hill and Kelce are, as well as Watkins, Conley (someone I loved coming out of UGA and am glad to see him putting it together bc hes so athletically gifted) etc. 

Im sorry but right now theres absolutely no way that, If I had the choice for some reason,  am taking Mahomes as my teams QB over either Wentz or Goff. 2 NFL games vs 29 and 27 respectively. I dont count last years meaningless week 17 game.

On 9/17/2018 at 7:42 PM, Riftty said:

Wentz and Goff are a tie for me. Can't really choose one or the other. Wentz reminds me of Rodgers with his ability to stretch plays and make some crazy throws. Goff reminds me of Peyton Manning with his pre-snap line control and mind for the game. Both will win a Superbowl or two.

We are on the same page. I remember an article I read that the reason Snead/Fisher moved up in the 2016 draft to put themselves in position to get either Goff or Wentz is because they thought those two guys were better than the 2017 draft class of QBs (Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson). I am a fan of Mahomes and Watson but Goff and Wentz are on another level. Goff has that "above the neck" approach to the game. Him and McVay are a perfect match. The same can be said with Wentz and Pederson. I was listening to Dilfer talk about how Goff has a great intermediate passing game (10-20yds) and other than Akili Smith, Goff is the best deep ball thrower that he has every seen. Wentz can kill you with his arm as well as his legs. Both QBs are tough as nails and are competitors that dont let anything phase them. Goff can make all the throws and is really accurate. What has impressed me the most about Goff since McVay became HC, Goff has only thrown 3ints on the road. He was tied for the NFL lead in tds thrown on the road. He has a bigger arm than people give him credit. Since last season, Mahomes is 1st is distance travel with a throw. Goff is 2nd. Wentz i believe is also in the top 5. So yeah Ill take Goff and Wentz over all the QBs drafted since 2016.

I'm going with deshaun watson.  I feel like of all the QBs he has the best mindset.  leadership, quiet confidence, even keeled demeanor,  rises to the occasion.  his pure throwing ability isn't near Goff or some of the others but once he can be respectable in his accuracy and decision making, his intangibles will guide him to the promisedland.

On 9/13/2018 at 1:07 AM, BAConrad said:

People who think Wentz has an "injury problem" are so completely and utterly misinformed. 

The guy played the entire 2016 season. Why the hell do you care about preseason?

And in college, he had the one wrist injury. And last year of course the ACL. 

He isnt Andrew Luck. Or DeShaun Watson, whos torn the same ACL twice I believe? 

Wentz has played in 29/33 regular season games. Lol. But omg his injury history is such a concern!!!!

My grades are just fine. I mean... I failed most of my classes last year, the year before, and a few summer classes in 2016, but who cares about summer classes? It's not like I have a 1.0 GPA like some other kids.

Wentz is probably one of the most talented QBs in the NFL but he is without a doubt an injury prone player.

21 hours ago, jjab360 said:

My grades are just fine. I mean... I failed most of my classes last year, the year before, and a few summer classes in 2016, but who cares about summer classes? It's not like I have a 1.0 GPA like some other kids.

Wentz is probably one of the most talented QBs in the NFL but he is without a doubt an injury prone player.

wow. Great attempt at a terrible analogy.

Wentz tore his ACL last season.

And broke his wrist in 2014 in college, missing 10 games. 

He played his entire rookie season. All 16 games. And followed that up by playing 13 games before the incredibly fluky ACL tear. 

So your definition of injury prone would mean that Tom Brady is also injury prone. He did after all miss all of 2008. 

And you obviously would call Rodgers injury prone then too yes? And Philip Rivers? And Roethlisberger? 

On 9/19/2018 at 7:15 PM, BAConrad said:

I heard a stat via Ryan Russillo on theringer.com that only 9 percent of Mahomes' completions have been "contested" throws. NINE percent. That's ridiculous. So over 90 percent of his completions so far this year have literally been to guys who were already open.

Sounds like he's a good decision maker.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Sounds like he's a good decision maker.

Absolutely. So far in his short NFL career, Mahomes has pleasantly surprised me with his decision making.

At Texas Tech he tended to just air it out regardless of the WR being open or what ever. He seemed to be the definition of a gun slinger.

But this season, albeit a small sample size, Mahomes has really done a great job not forcing throws downfield or into too tight of windows.  Which is a very good sign that he hasa pretty good football IQ and mental makeup. 

Not trying to knock Mahomes down. I love that Chiefs offense.

But I just think people need to sloowww it down here. 

I cant remember a time ever where , essentially 2 starts into a QBs career, people on FF were legitimately saying that said QB would be the best QB in the NFL eventually without being laughed out of the forum.

This seems to be a rare case

On 9/22/2018 at 1:51 PM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Anything other than Wentz or Goff is wrong. The other guys haven’t had a full seasons worth of success yet. Let them play it out then revisit this.

I don't think rolling with Mahomes, Watson or Baker (you see that half!?) is necessarily "wrong"... but taking anyone besides Wentz or Goff is a considerably bigger gamble in my eyes.

If you loved Mahomes as a prospect but weren't too high on Wentz and Goff, it would be natural to want Mahomes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 12:51 PM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Anything other than Wentz or Goff is wrong. The other guys haven’t had a full seasons worth of success yet. Let them play it out then revisit this.

Lots of fun having to face each of these guys in successive weeks, on the road too.  :S

Archived