@mccloughanscot is on twitter and very active

Ghostnote

Scot McCloughan is on twitter and has been very active as of late. Nothing elaborate but answering fan questions with one word answers. The usual kind of things about scouting and would you take this guy over that, who would you start a franchise with etc...

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

He should just try to get an ESPN job. Less stress, and I feel like he'd be entertaining on TV

Nah, he'd be like a Mike Mayock with probably less personality. He'd be good for a 3 month window and that's about it.

4 hours ago, Brian23 said:

Nah, he'd be like a Mike Mayock with probably less personality. He'd be good for a 3 month window and that's about it.

give him the Sonny and Sam Treatment (they each had a bottle in the booth and Sonny's was usually gone by halftime before Sam stopped drinking) and he would be hilarious. But Sonny did fall alseep in the 4th quarter from time to time in the early 2000's which was also hilarious because we sucked so bad anyway

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Really hope the guy gets another chance, though I think the best move for his career, personally and professionally, is to continue the scouting services he offered.  Really build a scouting "empire" of sorts, with multiple people working for him.  

That's what he's doing right now, correct?

Someone asked McCloughan about the Matt Jones selection and he said that he felt Matt Jones is the most talented RB on our roster and that he'll be a good player someday or something like that, his words may have even been stronger.

He told people that he'd still take Scherff over Leonard Williams today and that Scherff is the better football player.

He also said that taking Jamison Crowder over Stephon Diggs was a no brainer - or something like that.

I asked him why he didn't take Eddie Goldman - a true NT - over Preston Smith and I don't think he answered that question for me or anyone else that I've seen. 

I personally have to question these opinions that he still has but it's pretty clear he's not going to admit on twitter that he ever made a mistake. He's on there to just explain to people why he feels he was right in the decisions he made.

What he said about Josh Doctson:

I mean, he said Scherff over L. Williams was a tough decision but he made the right choice. He still thinks Matt Jones is going to be a stud.

??;)

I didn't need another mention of Jarrett, dude got an extremely raw deal with his injury.  I also think he made the right choice taking Scherff over Williams, build that offensive line up!  In year two, Scherff was a Pro Bowl guard, and isn't playing tackle because he has a potential HOF guy on the left, and a guy on the right whose made huge strides since he felt the push when we drafted Scherff.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I didn't need another mention of Jarrett, dude got an extremely raw deal with his injury.  I also think he made the right choice taking Scherff over Williams, build that offensive line up!  In year two, Scherff was a Pro Bowl guard, and isn't playing tackle because he has a potential HOF guy on the left, and a guy on the right whose made huge strides since he felt the push when we drafted Scherff.  

Idk man.  I'm on the other side of that.  Build that Dline up!  Guards can be found in later rounds.  Is Scherff a good guard?  Yes.  Was he overdrafted?  Extremely.  

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Idk man.  I'm on the other side of that.  Build that Dline up!  Guards can be found in later rounds.  Is Scherff a good guard?  Yes.  Was he overdrafted?  Extremely.  

But they drafted him to be a tackle, and there was no way they could have anticipated the growth made by Morgan Moses, and we can't look back and complain about that now and how we drafted Scherff.  

At the end of the day, Scherff is a home run pick, the same as Leonard Williams.  

52 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

But they drafted him to be a tackle, and there was no way they could have anticipated the growth made by Morgan Moses, and we can't look back and complain about that now and how we drafted Scherff.  

At the end of the day, Scherff is a home run pick, the same as Leonard Williams.  

Was he drafted to be a tackle? I remember through the entire draft process people talking up his conversion to guard, much like Zach Martin. Same thing with a guy like Joel Bitonio, Cody Whitehair and Forest Lamp. Very good college tackles who are just better suited on the interior.

And with you guys on the Eddie Goldman vs Preston Smith thing. I think that pick is justified, Smith had all the makings of an impact pass rusher. I think that's more valuable than a "true" nose tackle more often than not. Smith just hasn't taken that leap yet.

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I definitely agree with you Mknight, I do really love Scherff but there's no doubt that we could have gotten a guard in round 2 or 3 or signed a stop gap. 

Leonard Williams was "that dude" in the 2015 NFL draft. At the time I would have even taken him over Jameis Winston because of his backage/immaturity and definitely Mariotta. I'm glad those Qbs seems to be working out for their teams - heck with the added weapons this year Jon Gruden thinks Winston may even be in the MVP mix - but as far as draft prospects go and talent go, Leonard Williams was the top prospect in the draft and he's proven to be a great defensive lineman. Also, considering position value, you should take the stud 3-4 DE/4-3DT over the OG if you consider their talent level to be equal, which they even aren't, because Williams is more talented.

I'll also say that yes we didn't know exactly what we had in Moses after his rookie year, but we did know that we had a guy we had drafted relatively high who had talent that we wanted to develop. It was plain as day very early on in camp that Moses was the better option at RT. 

I love that Scherff helped solidify our OL into one of the better ones in the NFL, no doubt that was important but I do believe we could have signed a FA to fill in at RG or had drafted another player in round 2 or 3 and probably have gotten similar results. Maybe that player wouldn't have been as great as Scherff is, but at worst they would have been serviceable.

Our defensive line has been in shambles since 2012 when Carriker and Bowen got hurt, and then the next two seasons Cofield battled injuries. 

I have to believe if we had drafted Leonard Williams instead of Scherff in 2015 that our defense would have been at worst around 20th and if we had a defense around 20th or even better in 2015 & 16, we probably would have won at least one more game in each season, if not 2 more games.

I'm glad we have Jonathan Allen now and have signed/drafted a few other DL to hopefully bolster this unit, but to me it will always seem like Leonard Williams is the one that we let get away that really could have helped our defense get back to what it was at the end of last decade.

I really don't think there is much debating that.

I'm very happy with him. He bring strength, toughness, and a mean streak to an OL that was finesse. We get zero push at left guard and RT unless Nsheke is in. Moses is a very good pass blocker- hope he develops into a better run blocker. LG is really hopeless this year

Archived