@mccloughanscot is on twitter and very active

Ghostnote

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

Was he drafted to be a tackle? I remember through the entire draft process people talking up his conversion to guard, much like Zach Martin. Same thing with a guy like Joel Bitonio, Cody Whitehair and Forest Lamp. Very good college tackles who are just better suited on the interior.

And with you guys on the Eddie Goldman vs Preston Smith thing. I think that pick is justified, Smith had all the makings of an impact pass rusher. I think that's more valuable than a "true" nose tackle more often than not. Smith just hasn't taken that leap yet.

On the surface yes, an elite OLB is more important than a true NT but when you are comparing the talent of the two players, Eddie Goldman was above Preston Smith. I like Preston Smith's potential but I always felt we overdrafted him, even on draft day. On top of that - just like with us drafting Moses in the 2015 draft - we had drafted and we're developing Murphy another OLB we had drafted in the 2nd round of the 2015 draft. 

This gets back to the Leonard Williams argument again, our biggest problem on our entire team since 2013 has been our inability to consistently stop the run. Every offseason everyone in the forum clamors we have to find an answer at NT, NT is one of the greatest needs on the defense, yada, yada, yada, and its true. Yet, McCloughan passed on the opportunity to get a versatile NT in the 2nd round of the 2015 draft who could not only stop the run but also had the quickness to rush the passer some. Goldman can be a 3 down player, he's more than just a run stuffer.

I don't know,  to me, you put Williams and Goldman on the DL the last two years with Baker and we are talking about it being one of the strengths of our team instead of it being a glaring weakness, that counts for a lot into making our entire defense better. 

The case for Goldman over Smith definitely isn't as solid an argument but I would have rather see us solidify the DL in 2015 and just remained average at ROLB with Murphy. I mean let's be honest, Smith found a hot streak at the end of 2015 against mostly back up LTs or playing against LTs which were injuried and he has been extremely inconsistent in both of his two seasons, both as a pass rusher and as a run defender. He hasn't had a consistent motor or become a consistent player for us yet, I do hope it happens this year.

With Goldman vs Smith, it's the same as Williams over Scherff. I would have rather seen us solved our NT issues in 2015 than to draft another 2nd round OLB who we hoped would fit into the position and get better but there was no guarantee he was a great fit for the position, just like with Murphy. Same as I would have rather seen us get an elite 3-4 DE/4-3 DT in Williams with our 1st round pick than to get a pro bowl guard. 

Scherff was projected to move inside by some, but it also depended on the team.  For the Redskins and Giants who were linked to him in the top 10, he was expected to play RT, as both teams at the time had a clear need for an offensive tackle.  For other teams that were set at tackle, he was a candidate to shift inside to guard.  The toughness and road grader mentality that he's brought has been huge for the offensive line.  Like a lot of people. I was upset about the Leonard Williams pick at the time.  However, the Redskins still got great value and a great talent who will ultimately take over as the leader on the unit, and I'm just as happy with him as I would be with Williams, and I actually think I'm happier with Scherff to be quite honest.  I think he is one of the biggest reasons our line play has improved and gone to the next level. 

Also, NT's barely play 50% of the team's snaps, and that is a player who can be found for sure later in drafts and free agency.  Personally, I think we are undersized to run a base 3-4 and should switch back to a 4-3, especially if we aren't going to invest in a nose tackle.  Even when we had Pot Roast, teams ran on us pretty well and like I said, he didn't even play in half of the snaps.  If it's a passing situation, the NT is always coming out.  Goldman fell in that draft because of the NT being phased out similar to the FB position- though it isn't quite there yet- and the same thing happened with Danny Shelton as well. 

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, NT's barely play 50% of the team's snaps, and that is a player who can be found for sure later in drafts and free agency.  Personally, I think we are undersized to run a base 3-4 and should switch back to a 4-3, especially if we aren't going to invest in a nose tackle.  Even when we had Pot Roast, teams ran on us pretty well and like I said, he didn't even play in half of the snaps.  If it's a passing situation, the NT is always coming out.  Goldman fell in that draft because of the NT being phased out similar to the FB position- though it isn't quite there yet- and the same thing happened with Danny Shelton as well. 

Shelton went 12th, Goldman went 39th. It's not like they really "fell," they just went to 3-4 two-gap defenses that needed true NT. Most teams don't run that scheme in the NFL anymore. We don't, we run a hybrid system and a lot of teams do.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Scherff. I've defended him before because he has helped our OL out again as you mentioned. The think though is that we didn't take the BPA. I don't care what Scot says, LWilliams is the more talented player and he was in the draft. Williams was a near complete DL coming out of USC. If we were truly going BPA in that draft based off of talent we should have went Williams rnd 1 & Goldman in round 2. 

I can only imagine how much better our D would have been in 2015 & 16 if we had - particularly our run d and if our D was around average in 2015 & 16 we have double digit wins each season IMO. 

We could have found a RG with our 3rd round  pick in the 2015 draft instead of taking Jones and kept Alfred Morris. We also could have drafted Laell Collins in round 7 and signed a vet OG.

Those are good points Turtle.  I do believe Scherff was BPA because there were concerns about Williams and his drive- specifically, his motor, taking plays off and giving up when the play went away from him- and SM values the high-motor, high character guys, which Scherff fit to a T, including his four years of leadership with Iowa.  Also, Williams was a bit raw and struggled through most of his first season, including being subbed out in pass-rushing situations.

The interesting thing to me was that someone asked Scot if the draft board for the Redskins in 2017 matched his. He said the picks all matched his ... but one. He was asked (but never responded to, as far as I know) who the one was. I have to believe he would be on board with Allen and he even said he liked Anderson. My thoughts were on Nicholson, but I would love to know who he think we should have taken instead of the one guy he didn't pick.

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think it has to be Nicholson.  He was the one guy who was panned by just about all of the local and national talking heads, and it was a serious overdraft.   I could also see it being Moreau

Moreau was my dark horse pick, with maybe Sprinkle being the other one just from his stupidity with Belk. Still, I think Scot would have been willing to give Sprinkle a chance.

53 minutes ago, Woz said:

The interesting thing to me was that someone asked Scot if the draft board for the Redskins in 2017 matched his. He said the picks all matched his ... but one. He was asked (but never responded to, as far as I know) who the one was. I have to believe he would be on board with Allen and he even said he liked Anderson. My thoughts were on Nicholson, but I would love to know who he think we should have taken instead of the one guy he didn't pick.

It could have been Allen because of Allen's shoulder but I think it was probably Nicholson also. Most of us thought Nicholson was overdrafted by about a round, maybe two, but I liked what I saw out of Nicholson for the most last Saturday. Nicholson has a lot of athleticism and ability, he just needs coached up some.

14 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

from one morning boozer to another. He actually could be right but there is a BIG Big if on his health. So far he makes Jordan Reed look like an IronMan

I don't think he's right because even if it's not Reed, Crowder will be 2nd.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

While I'm not sure I agree with his thought that Doctson will lead the Redskins in receiving yards, I completely agree with his thought that the team should not have let Garcon walk.

If Garçon wasn't going to he the contract he did, I think he was worth retaining but I think the 49ers paid #1 $ for a #2 receiver. They can afford that kind of splurging, we can't.

Just now, turtle28 said:

If Garçon wasn't going to he the contract he did, I think he was worth retaining but I think the 49ers paid #1 $ for a #2 receiver. They can afford that kind of splurging, we can't.

I wonder if

• the reason he got that contract was to lure him to a REALLY bad football team
  • he would have signed for cheaper had we bothered to engage him

Archived