Week 2 GDT: Panthers @ Falcons

Zithers2

Both teams have been hit pretty hard with injuries this week.

Falcons lost SS Keanu Neal for the season as well as LB Deion Jones who might make an appearance later in the season.

We've just lost OT Daryl Williams and TE Greg Olsen... Williams is getting surgery and Olsen re-fractured his foot from last year... OG Trai Turner also has a concussion and may not be cleared in time to play. All with Matt Kalil on IR as well. Looking at an OL lineup of Moton / Van Roten / Kalil / Amini or Ty Larsen or Brendan Mahon / Amini or Corey Robinson. We also signed former Texans OL Chris Clark to fill in for Williams' vacated roster spot. Personally I hope Rivera is somehow convinced not to start Amini... he is so bad. I'd rather give Robinson a shot with Larsen at LG.

It'll be interesting to see how our run game works with Neal, a box safety, and Deion being out. Hopefully we can just pound the rock all day. We've always been good at that even when our OL isn't particularly talented. Ian Thomas could get the start and he'll likely be covered by DeVondre Campbell who is solid. Not sure I'm expecting much out of Thomas really. Though being with Olsen and Norv gives him a great opportunity to learn a lot and get involved quickly.

I'm sure Matt Ryan won't put in another sub 50% completion game. He's back in his dome and our secondary will be tested unlike last week, when Dak just threw the ball in the dirt a bunch and had no one getting open. Julio vs Bradberry or Donte scares the heck outta me.

If the Falcons had Keanu and Deion I'd for sure say we lose but if we can sustain some long drives running the ball we might be able to pull off an upset victory.

This game is going to be an interesting one.  We'll see if the OC change help us been more creative with our gameplan and fix our weaknesses (OL). I'm confident in our defense and facing Julio Jones is a good test by fire for our rookies DB. We'll also see if our DL continue to bring sacks like last game. I want to see growth into this team and for them to continue to have fun paying, because with Cam at the heim, if they have fun, they win. 

This might be the saddest I've ever felt for Cam.

23/33, 2 TD's 1 INT. Looks like a really nice game. Then factor in 2 drops by Funchess, one by Thomas, and now two by Anderson (the 2nd turning into the INT). Cam's really only had one bad throw all game, and it was when a corner was coming free on a blitz.

32 minutes ago, James said:

This might be the saddest I've ever felt for Cam.

23/33, 2 TD's 1 INT. Looks like a really nice game. Then factor in 2 drops by Funchess, one by Thomas, and now two by Anderson (the 2nd turning into the INT). Cam's really only had one bad throw all game, and it was when a corner was coming free on a blitz.

Finished with 32/45, 335 passing yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT (wasn't his fault), and 42 rushing yards.  What a freakin' game by Newton.  LIS, he's going to put up good numbers with Norv.

Tough loss but the Falcons are a very good team who was playing at home.  I'm not concerned.  IMO Norv Turner called a fabulous game, giving Newton a lot of easy throws (and to no surprise, Cam's CMP% is finally at an "acceptable" level).  We just need to get healthier on the offensive line and Funchess can't play as bad as he did today.  Plus with Samuel back soon and Moore hopefully getting more time in the offense, we should continue to improve.

Also a lot of credit to C-Mac.  He's so important to this offense.  14 receptions, 102 yards, 37 rushing yards.  

That might be the best game of Cam's career. Sucks that the rest of the team didn't get the memo.

The patchwork OL did pretty well. Struggled picking up a few blitzes, but I guess that's to be expected when you're starting 3 centers and a guy who's been on the team 2 days.

1 minute ago, James said:

Agreed. Only headscratcher was the series with Anderson's 2 drops. Not a playcalling issue, but you have to wonder why he was in there at all given the situation.

Yea, that was stupid.  Anderson's value comes as a runner, not as a receiver.  And it isn't so much that he is terrible as a receiver (although I'm questioning my stance on that after today), but its like when we would run the wildcat with DeAngelo Williams.  Why do that when you have Cam Newton?  

Funchess played better in the second half so credit to him.  That was a really good toe-tap catch he had on that final drive.  Dude has got to be more consistent.  Wright was terrific.

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Yea, that was stupid.  Anderson's value comes as a runner, not as a receiver.  And it isn't so much that he is terrible as a receiver (although I'm questioning my stance on that after today), but its like when we would run the wildcat with DeAngelo Williams.  Why do that when you have Cam Newton?  

Funchess played better in the second half so credit to him.  That was a really good toe-tap catch he had on that final drive.  Dude has got to be more consistent.  Wright was terrific.

Yeah, if we could get all 4 receivers playing at the level they're capable of, we should have a dangerous offense. But like you said, consistency is the issue.

I do wish we ran the ball more. 18 rushes at nearly 7 yards per. No reason to give up on it so soon.

Passing numbers are nice but we're still at a low YPA. Still think we're only at one 20+ yard completion, which was DJ Moore's TD. By the way... why is Moore not seeing snaps? It took an injury to Wright for him to get in there. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to stick with Funchess, Torrey, and Wright only when you have a dynamic first rounder in there who is far the biggest threat with YAC among your guys and probably the fastest too... also not sure why our offense took 20 seconds to lineup on that last drive when we had a TO and we could have, like, spiked the ball or something?? Always been an issue at the end of games in the Rivera/Cam era. No idea why there's a lack of urgency.

Defense was awful. That second Ratt rushing TD was probably he most humiliating play our defense has had since Haruki Nakamura let Roddy White get behind him. No pass rush. Missed tackles. Da'Norris Searcy and Donte Jackson both had to leave. Everyone biting on play actions. Just terrible.

im impressed by norv. I was a little skeptical before the year because his last few stops haven't been inspirational. but norv called a great game and utilized everyone's strengths. cam played great (except for the lack of urgency at the end of the game but some of that is on rivera too) Anderson has been an ok pass catcher in his life but his drops were brutal especially the pick which might have cost us the game. Anderson needs to be the short yardage and gl back and maybe when we need to run the clock but c mac should continue to dominate the backfield otherwise. cmac has been decent as a runner but awesome as a receiver and I think he's only going to get better at both.

the def was atrocious- specifically the rush d. pass D was ok but the run D was unacceptable. ryan getting 2 rushing tds, coleman going over 100 yds, missed tackles, no pass rush. Im not surprised we lost (we're horrible in division away games) but this is one we actually could've won. gotta win the next 2 so we enter the bye with some momentum.

Archived