Contract years, Cobb vs CMJ.

jleisher

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  Many people discussed?  And either?  No, pretty sure everybody wanted to cut both of them.  I think your every single mock had us cutting Cobb and Bulaga.  Do you see now why I got so angry at you? 

No and don't really care.

Won't this all depend upon how Randall and Clay play this season and how much they want and what they foresee their roles being going forward?

I mean Chris Long is a year older than Clay and hasn't been a starter/full-time player for several years now.

But he has also contributed to the last 2 Super Bowl winners as a situational pass rusher.

Bringing Clay back to play a similar role, and at a much reduced salary, would not be out of the question would it?

Presuming of course that Clay would agree to such an arrangement and a competent starter emerges to pair with Perry at OLB?

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Won't this all depend upon how Randall and Clay play this season and how much they want and what they foresee their roles being going forward?

I mean Chris Long is a year older than Clay and hasn't been a starter/full-time player for several years now.

But he has also contributed to the last 2 Super Bowl winners as a situational pass rusher.

Bringing Clay back to play a similar role, and at a much reduced salary, would not be out of the question would it?

Presuming of course that Clay would agree to such an arrangement and a competent starter emerges to pair with Perry at OLB?

Which he won't. Clay has a pretty big ego and believes he's still one of the best. He's going to be looking for a bigger deal than he's worth and someone will probably overpay him. In reality, Chris Long has made a bigger impact in more games than Matthews over the last year, including Week 1 of the 2018 season. 

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

CMJ is the father of the Clay Matthews III that plays for the 2018 Packers.

I agree, he would be a liability on the field as a 62yr old man.

Actually saw CMJ in the Pro Shop on Saturday before the Bears game. I should have asked him to slip Clay some HGH before the game. 

I think Cobb probably has a shot at getting another deal in GB, but it will be for far less money this time around.  As for Matthews I think he will probably be gone .. I don't see the Packers paying him what he thinks he will be worth on the open market.  It's been a good run for Clay, but it might just be time to move on.  I guess we'll see how he finishes this season out beforeI completely rule him out.

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Which he won't. Clay has a pretty big ego and believes he's still one of the best. He's going to be looking for a bigger deal than he's worth and someone will probably overpay him. In reality, Chris Long has made a bigger impact in more games than Matthews over the last year, including Week 1 of the 2018 season. 

We'll see. I assume you know Clay pretty well to judge him like that?

1 minute ago, HyponGrey said:

We'll see. I assume you know Clay pretty well to judge him like that?

I think anyone is nuts to believe that Clay is going to accept a "situational" role next year based on a "situational" player's salary. Now if that's all he can get after testing the market, maybe so. But I don't think he'd go there willingly. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think anyone is nuts to believe that Clay is going to accept a "situational" role next year based on a "situational" player's salary. Now if that's all he can get after testing the market, maybe so. But I don't think he'd go there willingly. 

That's quite a different statement from 

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I also think GB will offer more than he's worth

7 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

That's quite a different statement from 

How? I think Clay is transitioning (and maybe already is) a situational player at this point in this career. His next contract should reflect that, but I think Clay still believes he's an every-down "pay me like a top-end EDGE" player and should be paid like one. This is precisely what both statements get at. I'm not saying that he shouldn't have that kind of ego, every player should believe in themselves, and I really don't care, but I wouldn't overpay him at this point in his career. I'm fully counting on Clay bouncing back from a rough Week 1, but he's still a declining player overall, and I think it's coming faster than he realizes. 

Archived