Will we ever see another 2007 Patriots team (16-0) again?

Championshiporbust

Sure it will happen again eventually. The biggest hurdle to me is would a coach who is 13-0 or 14-0 with the 1st round bye locked up still try to compete in the final 2 or 3 games. Like the Colts could have definitely gone 16-0 in 2009 if they decided to play Peyton all game in the last 2. They were winning against the Jets before he was pulled.

Um, of course not.  Brady is 41 years old!  I really think its reasonable to expect some drop off this year from last year (I know he looked great against the Texans but that's just one game) and the team surrounding him is simply no where near as talented as that 2007 squad.  Next year he'll be 42 going on 43 and if he somehow manages to stave off father time this year I don't see how he can possibly do that again next year too.  I know that Brady has defied time over and over again to the point where Pats fans really believe he will never decline but its just inevitable that at some point he simply will not be able to do it anymore, and that point has to be coming soon.  All it will take is one bad hit and that could be it for his career (I really doubt that Brady could possibly suffer another injury like he had in 2008 and still come back again) and besides, his wife wants him to retire so there's that to consider.  

That brings me to the post-Brady era for the Pats and let's face it, there is NO succession plan in place at all.  The team is an extremely average team talent-wise and the only reason they are still so good is Brady and Gronk.  BB is the greatest HC of all time IMO but talent still trumps coaching every time and there is only so much anybody could do with this middling roster.  I fully expect that once Brady plays his last snap in the NFL the Patriots could wind up facing a long rebuilding process (don't forget Gronk is on the way out as well) and I also have serious doubts about BB's intentions to stay much longer as well.

Its always dicey doubting Brady or Bill as they have consistently proven such doubts way wrong for nearly two decades now, but I am 100% positive that they will never again go 16-0 at least.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Who said that? It feels like half the people on this site think the Rams are overrated for being called a 12-13 win team.

The Rams a team that overachieved last year? A team that plays in a terrible division? Overrated? Couldn't be.

4 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Panthers went 15-1 and according to this site they weren’t even that good, so I’m sure we will.

They were the best team in the NFL that year, people are crazy.

We'll see another undefeated regular season team at some point, whether it's 10,20,30,40,50 years from now it will happen. a 19-0 team on the other hand.....nope. I don't think that ever happens again. 

The Patriots mode wont exist again, but I think it would take an elite QB on a rookie contract with a great team around him, with a weakening division. 

Darnold after Brady.

Baker and the Browns. 

Wentz if he stays healthy and the Giants don't get a QB and if Dak and Zeke dont work out. 

3 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

The Rams a team that overachieved last year? A team that plays in a terrible division? Overrated? Couldn't be.

The Rams didn't play in a terrible division last year. Even if the Rams overachieved last year, they brought in three All Pros on defense and Brandin Cooks on O. Overrated? They definitely aren't. *eyeroll*

3 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

They were the best team in the NFL that year, people are crazy.

We'll see another undefeated regular season team at some point, whether it's 10,20,30,40,50 years from now it will happen. a 19-0 team on the other hand.....nope. I don't think that ever happens again. 

The Rams point differential versus their actual record indicates that if anything, they underachieved last year.

And the NFC West certainly wasn't the best division last year, but they were one of only two divisions that only had one team with a losing record - and that team won five straight games to end the season.

7 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Um, of course not.  Brady is 41 years old!  I really think its reasonable to expect some drop off this year from last year (I know he looked great against the Texans but that's just one game) and the team surrounding him is simply no where near as talented as that 2007 squad.  Next year he'll be 42 going on 43 and if he somehow manages to stave off father time this year I don't see how he can possibly do that again next year too.  I know that Brady has defied time over and over again to the point where Pats fans really believe he will never decline but its just inevitable that at some point he simply will not be able to do it anymore, and that point has to be coming soon.  All it will take is one bad hit and that could be it for his career (I really doubt that Brady could possibly suffer another injury like he had in 2008 and still come back again) and besides, his wife wants him to retire so there's that to consider.  

That brings me to the post-Brady era for the Pats and let's face it, there is NO succession plan in place at all.  The team is an extremely average team talent-wise and the only reason they are still so good is Brady and Gronk.  BB is the greatest HC of all time IMO but talent still trumps coaching every time and there is only so much anybody could do with this middling roster.  I fully expect that once Brady plays his last snap in the NFL the Patriots could wind up facing a long rebuilding process (don't forget Gronk is on the way out as well) and I also have serious doubts about BB's intentions to stay much longer as well.

Its always dicey doubting Brady or Bill as they have consistently proven such doubts way wrong for nearly two decades now, but I am 100% positive that they will never again go 16-0 at least.

The OP wasn't asking if this Pats will ever do it again, he's asking if any team can do it at any time, ever again.

13 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

I think this whole "you have to win it to be a historically great team" argument is just so dumb. I get what people say about, "oh, you have to win it" blah blah blah, but really? If you go 18-1, you're one of the best teams in the history of your sport. If you go 73-9 in the NBA, you're regarded as an all-time great team, even if you lose. Calling a 16-0 team not one of the best of all time is ridiculous, especially when 16-0 or 14-0 has happened twice in like 1,500+ tries. If an MLB team goes 162-0 but loses the World Series, they are an all-time great.

Look at the '07 Patriots' point differential, which is supposedly a better indicator of how good a team is than record: +315, an NFL record.

I just don't understand this argument. The whole point of sports is that the better team doesn't always win, right? So why should a great team not be treated like it because they lost literally one game?

The 2007 Patriots were a special team, and did have a fantastic season. And yes, they deserve to be recognized for a memorable year. But when we're talking about the exclusive category of best ever teams, we can only go with what happens on the field. And on the field, that team disappointed in the biggest game of 2007. Of course, upsets happen, but in this tiny category of best of the best,  I can only go with teams that finished the job. And I'll go back to the fact at least several members of the 1973 Dolphins think that team was stronger than the 1972 version. And others who were around back then agree. 

8 hours ago, megatechpc said:

You are making good points however the thread is about any team going undefeated in the regular season in any given year in the future.

As for the Pats, it depends on the draft success like with any team. Lets assume Brady plays 2 more years which is reasonable. Then in 2020 you face a rebuilding process. A ton of cap space but not a lot of elite talent. If you sign some good FA and make good picks in the draft including a QB on his rookie deal you will be relevant pretty soon again. 

It won't take more than 2-3 years if you hit on picks and sign some big FA with the cap room. The problem is it won't be sustainable for an extended period of time. If the Pats become a contender again after that it will probably be the usual 2-4 year window like we see now with almost every team until they have to pay their QBs and lose good players because of that.

The NFL is a fast business and you can flip your roster pretty quickly. If the Pats hit the reset button in 2020 and do it the right way they could be very good in 2022/2023 again. But yes there will be some rebuilding years like with every franchise. 

11 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, the best ever point differential and 16-0 is NOT on-the-field? 

Where was that point differential against the Giants when it counted most? Tom Brady and Randy Moss are among the top five at their respective positions, but struggled that day. The 2007 Pats just didn't earn the right other teams did on the field in this narrow category.

Archived