BDL 2018 Week 2 - Sydney Dingos @ Gotham Gashslayers

ny92mike

Sydney Dingos @ Gotham Gashslayers  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Sydney Dingos
    • Gotham Gashslayers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2018 at 04:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 2

Match:  Sydney Dingos @ Gotham Gashslayers

Away Owner:  @DingoLadd

Home Owner:  @pheltzbahr

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good Luck

Sydney Offense:

QB1: Ben Roelthisberger
RB1: Melvin Gordon
WR1: Golden Tate 
WR2: Mike Williams
WR3: John Brown
TE: Jimmy Graham 
LT: Nate Solder
LG: Cody Whitehair
C:  Mitch Morse
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: James Hurst

Bench:

QB2: Dak Prescott
RB2: David Johnson
RB3: Austin Ekeler
WR4: Quincy Enunwa
WR5: Calvin Ridley
TE2: Vance McDonald
OL6: Mike Iuptati
OL7: Chris Hubbard

Sydney Defense:

LDE: Whitney Mercilus
3T:  Malik Jackson
DT:  Leonard Williams
RDE: Mario Addison
WLB: Lavonte David
MLB: Myles Jack
CB1: Marcus Peters
CB2: Byron Jones
CB3: Logan Ryan
FS:  Ricardo Allen
SS:  Reshad Jones

Bench:

SLB: Shane Ray
RLB: Alec Ogletree
DE3: Noah Spence
DT3: Derek Wolfe
DT4: Brandon Mebane
CB4: Carlton Davis 
CB5: Donte Jackson
S3:  Matthias Farley

Gotham Gashslayers Lineup

Offense

QB - Matthew Stafford

RB - Derrick Henry

WR - Demaryius Thomas

WR- Emmanuel Sanders

Slot - Jarvis Landry

TE - Tyler Eifert

LT - Jake Matthews

LG - Andrus Peat

C - Maurkice Pouncey

RG - Shaq Mason

RT - Mitchell Schwartz

RB - Kerryon Johnson

RB - Rashad Penny

WR - Geronimo Allison

TE - Jake Butt

C - Ryan Kalil

OL - Mike McGlinchey

OL - AJ Cann

QB - Joe Flacco

Defense

DE - JJ Watt

DT/NT - Austin Johnson

DE/DT - Muhammad WIlkerson

EDGE - Robert Quinn

LB - Benardrick McKinney

LB - Zach Cunningham

CB - Xavier Rhodes

CB - Josh Norman

CB - Xavien Howard

S - Justin Simmons

S - Clayton Geathers

EDGE - Leonard Floyd

EDGE - Charles Harris

LB - Nick Kwiatkowski

DB - Minkah Fitzpatrick

CB - Jourdan Lewis

S - Damarious Randall

INT - Vernon Butler

INT - Bennie Logan

Sydney Dingos

Submitted 9/15/2018 @ 9:06 pm

@DingoLadd

Motivation: This week we will be playing our division rivals the Got ham? Gashslayers on the road, Sydney will play to the best of their ability but given their coach can't read we'll see how that works out. 

Sydney Offensive Strategy: Get the ball in the hands of our playmakers, block well for Roelthisberger, get our RBs involved in the passing game and get them going in the running game.

The Passing Offensive Strategy: After playing last week in a monsoon Ben should hopefully not turn the ball over 6 times this week, Ben will make audibles and adjustments if necesary. Golden Tate will be our no.1 WR and he will operate mostly out of the slot he will play in 2 WR sets, On the other side of him will be Mike Williams who will be our no.2 WR and be our main red zone weapon, John Brown will operate as our 3rd WR and be our deep threat we'll take a few deep shots against Gotham to test their secondary and establish we're not scared of their pass defense. Quincy Enunwa will get some targets as our no.3 WR but I don't see him seeing the field that much, he'll return kicks and be used on a gadget play or two. Melvin Gordon will be featured heavily as the bellcow of the offense and will command at least 8+ targets in the passing game, I'd expect he'll land somewhere north of 25+ touches, David Johnson will of course be mixed in a lot as well but with Gordon's stellar play we feel he deserves the RB1 tag. We're going to run the ball a decent amount to keep it balanced against a gotham front seven with fairly medicore LBs McKinney is pretty solid but he has issues with coverage and the rest you have to google to know know which team they play for, my o-line should be able to blast open fairly decent sized holes for my RBs to get to the second level and just walk into the endzone. Jimmy Graham will be featured quite a bit in the redzone and between the 20s, I'd expect he'll get 5+ targets and go out in the slot quite a bit. If Vance McDonald suits up he'll be featured quite a bit as we'll use 2 TEs on roughly 15% of the snaps to get him and Graham some good matchups, we'll also use Gordon and Johnson on the field at the same time. Whether they're both split out wide or both in the backfield they'll both see a lot of action, If Gotham wants to commit to stopping the run and puts 8 in the box we'll open up the passing game a bit more and make adjustments. We'll also make sure to go after Xavien Howard when possible, J.J Watt will be given extra blocking attention whether that's a double team or help from a RB/TE depends on the play. Overall I respect Got Ham? as an oppenent but they're not nearly the defensive powerhouse of old, we'll make sure to keep a balanced 55-45 pass run gamescript to keep it balanced as well.

The Running Offensive Strategy: With some shakeups to our offensive line from last week, I'd expect we'll still be able to run the ball as well if not better than last week. Melvin Gordon will split touches with David Jonhnson but I'd expect he'll get roughly 60% of the touches while Johnson gets the 30% of them. We'll try to keep a balanced offense and we'll establish the run early and often, I'd expect we'll run the ball on 45% of plays at a minimum. Gordon+Johnson will regardless get lots of targets and touches depending on gameflow, with Barksdale potentially out this week James Hurst will take over at RT, in the events of an emergency Whitehair shifts to C/G, Iupati plays G etc. 

TDLR: Open running lanes, Get the ball in our playmakers hands, Protect Ben, go deep. 

Sydney Defensive Strategy: Man to man coverage, Stop the pass, Blitz Stafford, Force turnovers.

The Secondary Strategy: Marcus Peters will cover/shadow Thomas in man to man he'll occasionally have help over the top, Byron Jones will be our no.2 CB and cover whoever Got Ham? uses as their no.2 WR more than likely (Dallas moved him to CB this off-season), Logan Ryan will be our 3rd CB and will cover whoever Got Ham? lists as their 3rd WR. As much as I'd love to say Gotham's WRs are trash they're actually fairly good overall the depth is atrocious but Got Hams? top 3 WRs could all be solid BDL starters on other teams, I'd say our WR talent is about equal but my secondary should be able to limit Staffords WRs. Tyler Eifert used to be a great TE then he continued to get injured and has more or less been relegated to a snap count because he can't play more than 30 snaps a game he's still a decent red zone threat but we won't pay him much attention, Myles Jack/Lavonte David should be able to cover Got Hams? RBs and TEs fairly well not that I expect any of them to be major parts of the passing game. Assuming Gotham starts Stafford and not Flacco I feel like we should be able to get a ton of pressure on Stafford and make him repeat week 1's performance. I'm expecting Penny/Johnson will be featured as a pass catcher out of the backfield a decent amount to supplement Gotham's lack of weapons at TE and it's running game. We'll also make sure to Blitz Stafford a bit to test Got Hams? protection. I'd bash on Stafford/Flacco but he's a solid QB when given protection, we dont' plan on letting him have any. Overall Got Ham? has a very solid offense all around, their depth at RB and WR kinda sucks but they're still a threat to be reckoned with. For clairfication we'll be playing man coverage on roughly 55% of the snaps mixing in zone on about 45% of the snaps, we'll be playing a base cover 3 when we play zone though we'll mix it up with some 2 deep safety looks and a variety of other coverages. 

The Front Seven Strategy:  Our main focus will be shutting down the passing game and forcing Gotham to beat us by running the ball, Lavonte David will be the QB of our defense and make adjusments as he sees the need to. We'll rotate our defensive players as needed to keep them fresh, we'll focus on shutting down the passing game and getting tons of pressure on Stafford. I'd expect we'll Blitz on roughly 20% of the snaps to test Stafford and Got Hams? o-line. My d-line should be more than capable of shutting down the run and winning the battle at the LOS perhaps tipping a few passes, Jack and David's athletic ability should be able to let them make plays in both facets of the game, we'll rotate our players and play the defense needed for certain situations.

TDLR: Dominate the LOS, Control the passing lanes, Sack/Hit Stafford, Force turnovers.

Special Teams: Enunwa will return kicks and Punts.

Gotham Gashslayers Game Plan

Submitted 9/16/2018 @ 11:02 am

@pheltzbahr

OFFENSE - 3 WR/TE/RB

Home opener this week and we stick with Matt Stafford as our starter, garbo Week 1 performance not withstanding.  Stafford’s RL performance with relation to team disfunction shouldn’t translate here and we know he has the talent to be successful running our offense.

We will run a balanced offensive attack with about a 60:40 split favoring passing plays.  In the run game, Derrick Henry will start and play about 60% of offensive snaps with Johnson and Penny rotating in for a dedicated drive each and spelling on 3rd downs.  Featuring different types of backs should keep the Dingos off balance.

In the pass game, we will focus on Stafford’s strengths and utilize Thomas and Sanders on intermediate and deep routes downfield.  Landry will operate out of the slot and will move the chains as he normally does. With a combined Week 1 line of 23 catches, 304 yds and 2 TDs, our WR group should be able to have success against Sydney’s secondary.  The name of the game is taking what is given and exploiting single coverage outside. We like Eifert to contribute in the red zone and will have some dedicated plays run to him if covered by LBs deep in the zone.

As far as protecting Stafford, which apparantly wasn’t in the Lions’ gameplan last week, we will double Leonard Williams on pass plays as we think he is the most disruptive player on Sydney’s D Line.  Mathews and Schwartz should be able to handle singles on their edge rushers, but we will chip occaissionally with TE or RB going out in routes.

Tl;Dr - Balanced attack, take what defense gives, lean on WRs

DEFENSE - 34 Hybrid Nickel

We expect Sydney to come out with a balanced attack, but I think establishing the run game is way more important for their offensive success.  With a combo of Johnson and Gordon, we will need to bring our A game to force Ben into a one dimensional offense.

We will have McKinney as a dedicated SPY on Johnson when he is in, looking to lay some punishment.  We will be aware of swings and screens dedicated to Johnson out of the backfield, looking for some TFLs in those scenarios.

In the passing game, we will primarily play man with Rhodes following Tate wherever he lines up.  Norman will play the opposite boundary with Howard covering the slot out of our base. Tate is the only receiver we think has any ability on this squad and Rhodes will likely erase him.  Geathers will cover Graham and provide additional run support while Simmons will play centerfield, allowing our CBs some room to play physical on the line and make plays on the ball.

We will utilize Minkah in our plan for the first time this year, subbing him in for Cunningham on dime looks as a 4th CB.  On 3rd and passing downs, we will kick Mo inside, bring Austin Johnson off the field and throw in Floyd as an additional edge rusher, lining up either on Watt or Quinn’s side to overwhelm one side of the Sydney O Line.

TL;DR - Stop Johnson, force one dimensional pass game.  Utilize different pieces to give Ben different looks

Thought I was gonna choose the Dingos when looking at the lineups but I think going more pass heavy and letting Gotham focus on the pass rush was a mistake. While I do think the RBs could do some damage in space against the LBs I think overall Gothams game plan was more concise and targeted the right areas.

Sydney Dingos @ Gotham Gashslayers

I liked that the Dingos decided to run a more balanced offense getting their backs more involved against a solid secondary.  However, Gotham game plan was all over this, as they key on stopping the run and letting their secondary go man coverage on Ben’s receivers.  A match up that in my opinion favors Gotham's secondary.
I think this turns into a defensive battle, with neither team doing a ton offensively.  Gotham imo does just enough to hold off to win the game in a low scoring matchup.

Going Sydney. I like their RBs out of the backfield vs Gotham Lbs. Best matchup of the day. Quinn and Watt can do some damage but not enough. I think they can run decently outside of Watt too .

On the other side I like Gotham going 60% passing with the advantage upfront, though Sydney blitzing can work. Landry has a great matchup vs Logan Ryan and will have a great day. But I don't trust Gotham QB and weapons beyond that.

Sydney 27-17

During the week I will try to take your gameplan @DingoLadd. So many redundancies it's hard to read

I think the real key to this game was the fact that Gotham should completely control the trenches when Sydney is on offense. That Sydney OL is going to get Ben hurt agains the Gotham defense, and their secondary is strong enough to eliminate any of the short stuff Ben could look to to save himself. Gotham. 

Gotham brings an elite pass rush against a team with OT issues, while I think Ben gets time in the pocket he doesn't get as much as he needs hence why Gotham stays around until late in the 4th and takes the lead. However Ben is able to lead a comeback, Gordon scores the TD with 1 second left on the clock to win it. 

This was the hardest game to decide, Gotham's gameplan is perfect and their pass rush is more than enough to counter to Sydney but with Sydney's surplus of weapons and Gotham's weakness at LB I think it's just too much of an issue for them to overcome.

5 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Going Sydney. I like their RBs out of the backfield vs Gotham Lbs. Best matchup of the day. Quinn and Watt can do some damage but not enough. I think they can run decently outside of Watt too .

On the other side I like Gotham going 60% passing with the advantage upfront, though Sydney blitzing can work. Landry has a great matchup vs Logan Ryan and will have a great day. But I don't trust Gotham QB and weapons beyond that.

Sydney 27-17

During the week I will try to take your gameplan @DingoLadd. So many redundancies it's hard to read

I like covering my bases, I'll make some tweaks this week. 

Very even matchup, but I like Big Ben to have more success than Stafford. Don’t look now but the Dingos have a very talented CB group. I like their DL a bit more than most and they’ve got one of the elite groupings at LB. Gotham will be better going forward, but I trust Melvin Gordon a bit more than Henry/Kerryon/Penny combo. JJ Watt was rock solid on Sunday so that matchup against Hurst is one I’d imagine he’d salivate over. His pass rush ability is slowly getting back to pre 2016 levels.

Archived