BDL 2018 Week 2 - Portland Horned Owls @ Seoul Dragons

ny92mike

Portland Horned Owls @ Seoul Dragons  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Portland Horned Owls
    • Seoul Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2018 at 04:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 2

Match:  Portland Horned Owls @ Seoul Dragons

Away Owner:  @SwoleXmad

Home Owner:  @TedLavie

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good Luck

Portland Horned Owls Lineup

Offense

QB1: Derek Carr
RB1: LeSean McCoy
WR1: Davante Adams 
WR2: Tyler Boyd
TE1: Will Dissly 
TE2: Austin Hooper
LT: Alejandro Villanueva
LG: Clint Boling
C:  Matt Paradis
RG: Will Hernandez
RT: Laremy Tunsil 

Reserves:

QB2: Tyrod Taylor
RB2: Jay Ajayi
RB3: Peyton Barber
WR3: Martavis Bryant
WR4: John Ross
WR5: Jamison Crowder
OL6: Ben Jones
OL7: Kelvin Beachum

Portland's 4-2-5 Defense:

DE:  Brian Orakpo
3T:  Kawann Short
DT:  DaQuan Jones
DE:  T.J Watt
WLB: Telvin Smith 
MLB: Blake Martinez
CB1: Desmond Trufant
CB2: Brandon Carr
SCB: Johnathan Joeseph
FS: Glover Quin
SS: Malcolm Jenkins

Reserves:

SLB: Zach Brown
RLB: Vince Williams
CB4: Tavon Young
CB5: Jason McCourty
S3:  Kareem Jackson
DE3: Za'Darius Smith
NT:  Michael Pierce
DL:  Shelby harris

Seoul Dragons

Offense

QB Matt Ryan

RB Jordan Howard

WR AJ Green

WR TY Hilton

WR Jermaine Kearse

TE Travis Kelce

LT Ronnie Stanley

LG Kevin Zeitler

C Alex Mack

RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff

RT Ryan Schraeder

Bench RB Kenyan Drake

Bench RB Ty Montgommery

Backup WR Tyrell Williams

Bench WR Danny Amendola

Bench TE Antonio Gates

Bench TE Jeff Heuerman

Bench OL Rodger Saffold

Bench OL David Andrews

Defense

LE Chris Long

DT Gerald McCoy

DT Geno Atkins

RE Melvin Ingram

SS/LB Jeff Heath

MLB Anthony Hitchens

WLB Dont’a Hightower

CB Darius Slay

CB Robert Alford

CB Kendall Fuller

FS Marcus Williams

Bench Edge Bradley Chubb

Bench Edge Derek Barnett

Bench Int Xavier WIlliams

Bench Int Ryan Glasgow

Bench LB Nigel Bradham

Bench LB Jordan Hicks

Bench CB Sidney Jones

Bench S Montae Nicholson

Portland Horned Owls Game Plan

Submitted 9/15/2018 @ 8:32am

@SwoleXmad

Motivation: Portland under my ownership has yet to beat Seoul, last year we faced Seoul in back to back games to end the season and in the playoffs. We lost both match-ups, we want revenge for that matchup and will be dialing up everything in our bag of tricks plus we need a win to avoid the dreaded 0-2 start. 

Portland Offensive Game-plan: We're going to focus on establishing the run early and often and using our RBs as the engine of our offense, while Seoul boasts a fantastic interior we're going to run more outside and use screens to get our RBs in space. If Seoul stacks the box we'll adjust by going 4 wide and using more 2 TE sets (Potentially with a RB/TE) and attacking the middle of the field and down the field with extra protection for Carr.

The Passing Game: Despite a bad game from Derek Carr last week I fully expect him to rebound this week and re-estbalish himself this season as a top 10 QB but enough with the homer-ism. This week we'll be facing a very solid Seoul defense featuring the best interior duo in BDL, however their edge players while solid are weak in run support and we'll be taking advantage of that by running to the outside more. Davante Adams will be our no.1 WR and will be featured heavily I expect Slay will cover him and while Slay is a solid no.1 CB I'd suggest going to look at the history of Adams vs. Slay IRL to get an understanding of how they match up. Boyd will be our slot WR and he'll get quite a few targets, he'll play outside in 2 WR sets and in the slot in 3 wide. In 3 and 4 WR sets Bryant will be the no.3 and Ross will be the no.4, we'll take a few deep shots to Ross to try and take advantage of Seoul's medicore safeties, if for some reason Bryant isn't active Crowder becomes the no.3 WR. Will Dissly gets the start at TE and will be a big feature in our offense, and should get at least 5+ targets we'll make sure to use our TEs quite a bit in this game as run blockers along with using them over the middle of the field to take advantage of Seoul's issues at LB, they'll also be used in the redzone. We'll operate out of a 2 WR, 2 TE base offense (Roughly on 25% of the snaps) for extra protection and to help in the running game a bit. We'll make sure to get the ball out quicker to adjust for Seoul's interior pass rush and establish the run game early and commit to it to keep Matt Ryan and friends off the field for as long as possible, we're going to committ to using our RBs heavily in the passing game as well. We're going to specifically target Seoul's safeties and LBs and try and get our RBs matched up on them.

The Running Game: LeSean McCoy, Jay Ajayi, Barber will split carries 50:30:20 with McCoy receiving the majority of the carries and touches, we'll try and establish our running game early to help tire out Seoul's defense for later in the game, we'll leave a RB/TE in to pass protect as needed, our running game will be the engine of the offense and will flow through the RBs they will all be used quite a bit and McCoy might have more catches than rushes depending on how game flow works out.

The Blocking: In case of injuries Beachum will play LT/RT, Jones will play C/G. We'll also leave a RB/TE in to pass protect or give extra attention/blocking to a pass rusher if someone proves to be a problem, Paradis takes over at C due to his better play and with Sitton...sitting on IR Hernandez takes his spot.

TDLR; Control the clock, Control the LOS, Get the ball into the hands of our playmakers, Get Vengeance, Finish in the redzone.

Portland Defensive Gameplan: We're going to play 2 deep safeties to keep Green, Hilton, Kelce from making big plays down the field. We'll mostly be playing zone coverage while mixing in some man with Cover 3 being our base zone defense and focusing on harassing Matt Ryan as much as possible.

Pass Coverage: We'll be playing mostly zone defense (roughly 55% of the snaps) with Trufant assigned to cover A.J Green in Mmn and  will be given some help over the top on occasion, Brandon Carr will man the no.2 CB spot and should be able to handle T.Y Hilton in man/zone we'll make sure to have some help over the top for Hilton on occasion as well, if A.J Green or T.Y Hilton go into the slot the CB assigned to cover them will follow them into the slot, Johnathan Joeseph otherwise will be the no.3 CB and despite him being older he is s still a very solid CB. Seoul's offense overall is very good overall with no real weaknesses except on the o-line and  their depth at WR but outside of that they're a fantastic offense held back by Matt Ryan, while Ryan is usually a very good QB he has struggled in the redzone for multiple seasons and has regressed quite a bit since 2016 he's still dangerous but he's not nearly as good as he once was. Travis Kelce is usually a nightmare to cover but I feel with Telvin Smith and Malcolm Jenkins we are more than capable of covering him, Telvin Smith/Jenkins will rotate on coverage of him. As mentioned we'll be using 2 deep safeties and a cover 3 base zone defense for most of the game/55% of the snaps, Glover Quinn will be tasked with adjusting the pass coverage as needed. Seoul's o-line has some very good players up front but from C to RT the o-line has issues, I'd expect my front seven should be able to put pressure on Ryan and control the LOS. Telvin Smith will be the signal caller on defense and he'll make adjustments if Seoul tries something not outlined in the game-plan. Since we'll be mostly playing zone defense we won't be blitzing that much, however I expect my d-line to get a decent amount of pressure on Ryan and create a turnover or two. With T.J Watt coming off a 4 sack game he should be dominant again this week and be a massive issue for Seouls blocking, Short+Jones should be able to keep their inside running game in check and Pierce will rotate in with Jones on running downs/goaline situations. We'll also make sure to give equal attention to Kelce, Hilton, Green and try to take away Ryan's passing game options, I assume Seoul will feature a RB more heavily in the passing game this week and we'll adjust for that.

Run Defense: With Seoul having a very solid o-line and a stud RB I expect Seoul will try and establish the run game early to try and open up their passing game and to wear out my defense early we'll make sure to adjust for this by rotating our front seven quite a bit to keep them fresh and to clamp down on the run, my front seven is more than capable of keeping Howard+Drake+Montgomery contained in both the passing and running game. My pass rush featuring Kawann Short, Orakpo, Watt etc. will put a decent amount of pressure on Ryan and should be able to create a turnover or two, whether that's a stripsack or a deflection that leads to an INT we will get turnovers. We'll rotate our DL, LB, DBs as needed to keep them fresh, we will also play situational defense and adjust the coverage we need depending on the situation. Telvin Smith+Quinn will be in charge of making adjustments for the front seven and secondary. 

TDLR; Control the LOS, Get after Ryan, Shut down their deep ball game, Keep them from making big plays, Limit their passing game.

Seoul Dragons Game Plan

Submitted 9/16/2018 @ 11:00 am

@TedLavie

Offense

We’ll run a balanced offense between run and pass this week. Portland run defense is fairly solid but not special we feel, and with our duo of Howard and Drake, we like our chances to get the run game going, especially inside where our OL is strong. Expect a 50/50 share between the two, with the hot hand getting more carries in the 2ndhalf.

In the passing game, we will use our receivers to beat man coverage and Kelce, Gates, Drake and Montgomery to beat zone, as Portland likes to use a mix of both. 

We expect Quinn to play single high and have one receiver in single coverage. And we will attack the corner in single coverage with no safety up top, especially deep. On some occasion we will have one outside receiver running a corner route and the other a post route, and if indeed Quinn is the lone safety up top, Ryan will choose the isolated corner and attack him. We will also try to free Green from a potential double coverage by playing him inside, or by making him run inside routes while isolating Jenkins and Telvin outside with Kelce/our RB. We’re not sure if McCourty will play in the slot again, or if Young or Hairston will step up, but we will target the slot heavily with Kearse and Amendola. As for Tyrell Williams, he will see a couple of deep shots outside with Green or Hilton sliding inside. Spreading the ball around has always been a strong suit of Matty Ice, and we provide him the weapons to do it this year.

As for the tight ends and running backs, they will be our primary reads in zone coverage. We will use flood routes to beat Portland zone D, or we will have Kelce run a lot of out routes along the sidelines. Gates will come off the bench on passing downs mainly, while Heuerman will come in on heavy formations. Drake and Montgomery will share 3rddown snaps and see the field more than Howard on passing downs

Defense

We are looking to bully Portland offense this week. Portland has a good RB duo in McCoy and Ajayi and we need to worry about them. However, Derek Carr has not been good since his injury in 2016 and has had troubles throwing deep for a while. If you mess with his rhythm, you can beat him easily.

For that reason, we’re going to have 7 men in the box more often than not, or 8 if Portland starts 2 tight ends (Bradham would come in for Fuller in that case). We will commit to stop the run and for that we will give a lot of early snaps to Williams and Glasgow, our bench interior defenders. Both are space eaters in the middle and having solid linebackers behind that can make clean tackles, we should be able to stop Portland rushing attack. Another reason for that is we want to keep McCoy and Atkins fresh for passing downs and the 2ndhalf, where we believe they can dominate a Portland interior OL that lost its best player in Sitton. I don’t know who will start at LG between Hernandez, who didn’t have a good NFL debut last week, or a center, but that’s a great matchup for us. Expect also a lot of rotation on the edge to keep everyone fresh.

In terms of coverage, we’re gonna use 70% man coverage and 30% zone. Zone coverage will vary between a cover 3 and a cover 2. In man coverage, Slay gets Adams, Alford gets WR 2 and Fuller gets the slot. If Adams happen to be out, then Slay gets Crowder (or Boyd if Crowder plays in the slot) and Alford takes the other guy. Heath gets the RB and Hitchens gets Clay/Dissly. In 2 TE sets, Bradham gets the other TE. Marcus Williams role will vary. We’re not afraid to go cover 0 in this matchup, given that Carr isn’t a great deep passer and that Portland doesn’t have a really deep threat to worry about (we don’t consider John Ross to be a threat at all), so Williams might be used on blitzes, on covering a TE or on doubling McCoy or Adams, and might drop into the box as well to stop the run. He will also see a lot of snaps where he’ll play single high as well. Can’t play in cover 0 all game. On passing downs, Hicks comes in for Hitchens as we feel he’s better in pure pass coverage.

We will blitz a lot in this game. We feel Carr is not great under pressure and it might force Portland to keep McCoy on pass pro duties, which would work great for us. In man, expect to see a lot of 5, sometimes 6 men blitz, particularly with Hightower.

24 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Don't be pheltz. It's not 2013 anymore. 

Matty Ice demolition of a good Panthers D was much more impressive.

I mean they're still a top 10 defense and Carr still played nearly perfect against them, but sure. 

Matty Ice faced a Carolina defense with no teeth outside of BDL stud Short and Kuechley plus he was at home and threw 2 INTs. I don't know how the hell he scored more rushing TDs than Newton but he will be running a lot in this game. 

24 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

I mean they're still a top 10 defense and Carr still played nearly perfect against them, but sure. 

Matty Ice faced a Carolina defense with no teeth outside of BDL stud Short and Kuechley plus he was at home and threw 2 INTs. I don't know how the hell he scored more rushing TDs than Newton but he will be running a lot in this game. 

I don't think they are honestly.

As for Ryan, pretty sure he threw one INT and he was hit as he threw. As for the rushing TDs, it was just really good red zone management. Don't get me wrong, with Sarkisian as the OC I'm as surprised as you are

3 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I don't think they are honestly.

As for Ryan, pretty sure he threw one INT and he was hit as he threw. As for the rushing TDs, it was just really good red zone management. Don't get me wrong, with Sarkisian as the OC I'm as surprised as you are

I mean they were last year according to DVOA so eh. We'll see how this season shakes out but I think they're still up there.

Still amazed that dude has a job, shame your offense isn't gonna finish in the redzone though. 

3 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

I mean they were last year according to DVOA so eh. We'll see how this season shakes out but I think they're still up there.

Still amazed that dude has a job, shame your offense isn't gonna finish in the redzone though

Kelce 2TD. Green 3TD. Hilton 1TD. Drake 1TD. Ryan 2TD passing 2TD rushing. My RZ offense should be fine.

Speaking of RZ offense. How does Derek Carr goes 29/32 and come away with 19 points? 

45 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Kelce 2TD. Green 3TD. Hilton 1TD. Drake 1TD. Ryan 2TD passing 2TD rushing. My RZ offense should be fine.

Speaking of RZ offense. How does Derek Carr goes 29/32 and come away with 19 points? 

I mean it would be if my entire game-plan didn't revolve around keeping you out of the endzone and shutting down Green/Kelce/Hilton. 

The Broncos are a good defense, even better in the redzone...plus it would be 20 if BDL stud Shaq Barret didn't block an extra point. 

I think Portland comes in with a decent game plan to move the chains on the ground, keeping the bulk of the carries to the outside.  Which plays to the weakness of the dragons exceptional front line, as you'd have to be a nut or have some extremely talented power rushers to run north/ south.  Defensively, Portland is defending the pass evident within the first sentence of their game plan, "going to play 2 deep safeties" and you can't really blame them as Ryan has the ability to burn you deep if you allow it.

The difference maker in this matchup at least imo is that Portland's game plan is to establish the run game "early and often" keeping things to the outside.  In my opinion, Seoul defends this by throwing 7 to 8 men in the box as they sell out to stuff the run.  In addition, I think Seoul will struggle to get the deep ball established but believe Ryan and Co. will have success bringing Green inside in zone coverage, where he can find and expose coverages while both safeties are playing deep.  

Portland's passing game is to get the ball out quick, to prevent the INT pass rush, again I think this favors Seouls defensive scheme in staying close to the LOS with 7 men in the box, it'll make for some extremely tight coverages and a quarterback to make some quick reads in traffic could lead to picks.

Portland plans to tire Seouls interior but having two each Edge, INT and LB their lineup isn't going to tire and will ultimately wear down the offensive lineman well before the defense tires.

Other Notes:

While you created a very detailed game plan @SwoleXmad, this old man got a little confused in how some things were worded....probably me but worth noting.

"If Seoul stacks the box we'll adjust by going 4 wide and using more 2 TE sets (Potentially with a RB/TE) and attacking the middle of the field and down the field with extra protection for Carr."  _ While you do mention running 2 WR w/ dual tight end formations 25% of the time, its still a bit misleading because pre-snap adjustments defensively as in stacking the box, doesn't provide the time for the offense to sub out a completely different receiving package.  I'm sure that's not how you intended it to read but that's what it sounded like as I read it.

"We'll mostly be playing zone coverage while mixing in some man with Cover 3 being our base zone defense and focusing on harassing Matt Ryan as much as possible." then the next sentence stats playing "zone defense" only "55% of the snaps" and harrassing Ryan seems to fizzle out rather quickly, "Since we'll be mostly playing zone defense we won't be blitzing that much, however I expect my d-line to get a decent amount of pressure"._ "I'd expect my front seven should be able to put pressure on Ryan and control the LOS".  All of this just seemed confusing and really wasn't sure if you were blitzing or not and if you were mostly in zone coverage or in zone only 55% of the time.  

34 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I think Portland comes in with a decent game plan to move the chains on the ground, keeping the bulk of the carries to the outside.  Which plays to the weakness of the dragons exceptional front line, as you'd have to be a nut or have some extremely talented power rushers to run north/ south.  Defensively, Portland is defending the pass evident within the first sentence of their game plan, "going to play 2 deep safeties" and you can't really blame them as Ryan has the ability to burn you deep if you allow it.

The difference maker in this matchup at least imo is that Portland's game plan is to establish the run game "early and often" keeping things to the outside.  In my opinion, Seoul defends this by throwing 7 to 8 men in the box as they sell out to stuff the run.  In addition, I think Seoul will struggle to get the deep ball established but believe Ryan and Co. will have success bringing Green inside in zone coverage, where he can find and expose coverages while both safeties are playing deep.  

Portland's passing game is to get the ball out quick, to prevent the INT pass rush, again I think this favors Seouls defensive scheme in staying close to the LOS with 7 men in the box, it'll make for some extremely tight coverages and a quarterback to make some quick reads in traffic could lead to picks.

Portland plans to tire Seouls interior but having two each Edge, INT and LB their lineup isn't going to tire and will ultimately wear down the offensive lineman well before the defense tires.

Other Notes:

While you created a very detailed game plan @SwoleXmad, this old man got a little confused in how some things were worded....probably me but worth noting.

"If Seoul stacks the box we'll adjust by going 4 wide and using more 2 TE sets (Potentially with a RB/TE) and attacking the middle of the field and down the field with extra protection for Carr."  _ While you do mention running 2 WR w/ dual tight end formations 25% of the time, its still a bit misleading because pre-snap adjustments defensively as in stacking the box, doesn't provide the time for the offense to sub out a completely different receiving package.  I'm sure that's not how you intended it to read but that's what it sounded like as I read it.

"We'll mostly be playing zone coverage while mixing in some man with Cover 3 being our base zone defense and focusing on harassing Matt Ryan as much as possible." then the next sentence stats playing "zone defense" only "55% of the snaps" and harrassing Ryan seems to fizzle out rather quickly, "Since we'll be mostly playing zone defense we won't be blitzing that much, however I expect my d-line to get a decent amount of pressure"._ "I'd expect my front seven should be able to put pressure on Ryan and control the LOS".  All of this just seemed confusing and really wasn't sure if you were blitzing or not and if you were mostly in zone coverage or in zone only 55% of the time.  

If for instance say Seoul comes out on the 1st 10-15 plays with 8 in the box we'd adjust by going 4 wide to spread them out after a substitution or on the next drive. That's more or less what I meant, also if they stack 8 in the box we'd leave a RB/TE in to pass protect fairly often.

We won't be blitzing Matt Ryan in zone, I'm comfortable letting my front 4 get after him in zone. In man coverage we'll blitz 5 a bit but not very often, we are mostly zone in coverage but I'd roughly expect that to be 55% of the snaps since I don't want Ryan to just pick apart my zone defense. 

6 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

If for instance say Seoul comes out on the 1st 10-15 plays with 8 in the box we'd adjust by going 4 wide to spread them out after a substitution or on the next drive. That's more or less what I meant, also if they stack 8 in the box we'd leave a RB/TE in to pass protect fairly often.

We won't be blitzing Matt Ryan in zone, I'm comfortable letting my front 4 get after him in zone. In man coverage we'll blitz 5 a bit but not very often, we are mostly zone in coverage but I'd roughly expect that to be 55% of the snaps since I don't want Ryan to just pick apart my zone defense. 

Thanks....I'm probably over analyzing things being the new guy.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, ny92mike said:

while Slay is a solid no.1 CB I'd suggest going to look at the history of Adams vs. Slay IRL to get an understanding of how they match up

Psh....do the work for me. I ain't doin your googling.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, ny92mike said:

As mentioned we'll be using 2 deep safeties and a cover 3 base zone defense for most of the game

so....a cover 2?

Archived