Around the NFL - NFL General GDT

Danger

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

Yeah, I see Drew Brees winning the MVP this year and deservedly so. he has 1 turnover on the year and nearly 30 TDs passing and tied for the best record in the league.. I dont see many people stopping their momentum. they're firing on all cylinders.

Numbers are deceiving though, they are a run first team and his weapons get him a lot of his yardage. It wasn't until this week with our hobo lineup at CB that he really went deep much.

Mahomes and Gurley are far more valuable to their teams than Brees...but they will give it to Bress because he hasn't gotten one yet and it'll be his lifetime achievement award.

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Numbers are deceiving though, they are a run first team and his weapons get him a lot of his yardage. It wasn't until this week with our hobo lineup at CB that he really went deep much.

Mahomes and Gurley are far more valuable to their teams than Brees...but they will give it to Bress because he hasn't gotten one yet and it'll be his lifetime achievement award.

Disagree!! KC was a Playoff team with Alex Smith last year.

Goff although heavily effected still has weapons to throw too withouts Gurley.

The Saint might be lucky to Win 6 games without Drew Brees running that Offense to perfection. Yes I know Teddy is his backup too.

Outside of Tom , Aaron and maybe Rivers No one is more dependant upon their teams success as Drew Brees and the Saints.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

So  Mikey Groh pretty much admitted that he has no idea what he’s doing. Is this one Doug Peterson for his inability to replace their offer to coordinator or on Mike Groh 

Was it his inability or desire to have more control over the offense? He knew Groh would be a Yes Man already on board with their/his philosophies. Maybe not so much with a New OC coming "into" a SB Championship team.

He assumed wrong.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Disagree!! KC was a Playoff team with Alex Smith last year.

Goff although heavily effected still has weapons to throw too withouts Gurley.

The Saint might be lucky to Win 6 games without Drew Brees running that Offense to perfection. Yes I know Teddy is his backup too.

Outside of Tom , Aaron and maybe Rivers No one is more dependant upon their teams success as Drew Brees and the Saints.

yea they were a playoff team...not really all that hard in the AFC as late...but Mahomes has elevated them to one of the top teams in the league.

Most Valuable Player is the award...so who can survive losing their candidate?

I think you sit and watch the games, yes Brees does a lot but the offense is built on the backs. It's built on the line and the schemes.
Brees is a well oiled cog in that machine at this point in his career. 

After the super bowl, what happened? What happened when the next team came around brees a few years removed and it was all on his back?
They made the playoffs once since 2012.

All of the sudden they got a team around him thats really good and it elevates him. 
I can't say it'd be the same with Teddy B...but it's not gonna drop off that much from 2018 Brees.

Gurley is the Rams, they do so much off of him that it makes that offense smooth. Yes they can play games still and win, but it's going to be so much less effective.

I mean probably the player who's team needs the most is still Rodgers...cause McCarthy hasn't tried all that much for 8 years to get creative and scheme beyond "Hell Aaron, can you win this for us....please?" It's why he might finally get fired.

19 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

yea they were a playoff team...not really all that hard in the AFC as late...but Mahomes has elevated them to one of the top teams in the league.

Most Valuable Player is the award...so who can survive losing their candidate?

I think you sit and watch the games, yes Brees does a lot but the offense is built on the backs. It's built on the line and the schemes.
Brees is a well oiled cog in that machine at this point in his career. 

After the super bowl, what happened? What happened when the next team came around brees a few years removed and it was all on his back?
They made the playoffs once since 2012

All of the sudden they got a team around him thats really good and it elevates him. 
I can't say it'd be the same with Teddy B...but it's not gonna drop off that much from 2018 Brees.

Gurley is the Rams, they do so much off of him that it makes that offense smooth. Yes they can play games still and win, but it's going to be so much less effective.

I mean probably the player who's team needs the most is still Rodgers...cause McCarthy hasn't tried all that much for 8 years to get creative and scheme beyond "Hell Aaron, can you win this for us....please?" It's why he might finally get fired.

The Saints drafted poorly, signed bad free agents and gave him historically bad defenses to work with. He had to score 30 to even have a chance most games and he played in the most competitive division in football. 

As for there not being much drop off with Drew out of the lineup.. that's laughable. We are a much more balanced team nowadays, but the team still goes as Drew goes. They would crumble without him.

@Nabbs4u

When you look at Brees tape or even just the advanced stats, you see how base numbers kinda don't tell the story.
And they actually help illustrate Wentz's story this year.

Last year he lead the league in aggressive throws, he was targeting down field way more (near the top in average air yards per completion and per attempt.
This year? he's down near brees and Alex Smith.

Brees' average per attempt? 6th lowest this year...slightly better than Eli and Bortles, but tied to a guy who couldn't throw for like two years and had to get european scientists to fix his shoulder to workable condition in Luck.

His passes compared to the first down marker is negative, like Wentz's this year.

One think he leads the league in? Time to throw, get's the ball thrown quicker than anyone.

It all points to scheme, call the play read the defense and throw a short pass and let the receiver do his thing. It's not the only thing he does, but it's clearly the base of their offensive aerial gameplan. Get it out fast, mitigate the pass rush, which is a problem for Brees because of his size. It all makes sense why they do it, but it's propping him up like it has for awhile.

Meanwhile you got Doug trying to do the same this year with Carson but we don't have those types of weapons, they tried to get one in Tate, but Groh admitted to being too out of his depth to make that work.

We have surehanded possession guys...Ertz, Alshon, Goedert, Matthews. Guys who you want to get downfield and make a catch in a tight window. That's what we did last year and that's what worked. Throwing to Alshon and Ertz 3 yards behind the LOS doesn't work and we see it doesn't work

1 minute ago, JMG5 said:

The Saints drafted poorly, signed bad free agents and gave him historically bad defenses to work with. He had to score 30 to even have a chance most games and he played in the most competitive division in football. 

As for there not being much drop off with Drew out of the lineup.. that's laughable. We are a much more balanced team nowadays, but the team still goes as Drew goes. They would crumble without him.

Yep they sucked at building a team around him like the Packers have for large parts of their roster in the same time period.

I'm not arguing about Drew Brees the hall of famer.
I'm arguing about the candidacy of 2018 Brees for the Most Valuable Player in football.
I put some stat based stuff above in response to Nabbs

I think Teddy would be able to swing it. Primarily because they have one of the best offensive minds holding the reins and will do what Teddy can do.
And if that is make quick throws near the LOS...not sure it's the biggest ask in the world...but maybe that's just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I hear all of that Kilty and respectfully disagree. There is no plug and play for what Brees is doing. That's like Assuming replacing Brady would be just as simple. 

There's something to be said about mastering a System. That shouldn't be held against Brees just because he has. His numbers are absurd and are going to be even more insane if kept at this current pace by seasons end. Every statistical QB category possible owned except probably TD and Yds.

There are no more weapons in NO at his disposal then say both the Rams or Chiefs. No more a dependency on the Run then LA or KC. All 3 are loaded!