Around the NFL - NFL General GDT

Danger

9 hours ago, ianlewis16 said:

All these bans is what has killed this website to be fair. there needs to be a loosening of the ridic stringent rules. 

Same rules we've  had for a Decade plus!! Only the Posters have changed expecting to get away with murder. Some of that is Mods being to nice, allowing way to much to go by without warnings (Yes I was Guilty too) and Posters knowing they can push the envelope  because  of the above. Either way that's the difference.

Rules of this site aren't  the issue.

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Same rules we've  had for a Decade plus!! Only the Posters have changed expecting to get away with murder. Some of that is Mods being to nice, allowing way to much to go by without warnings (Yes I was Guilty too) and Posters knowing they can push the envelope  because  of the above. Either way that's the difference.

Rules of this site aren't  the issue.

First time I stop in since last year's SB and I see this...

ian is correct, Nabbs. I can't tell you how many times I have had posts threatened to be deleted for stuff 99% of other message boards wouldn't bat an eye at. And this is back when the mods were apparently being too nice. That's one of several reasons you don't see me around much anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, killdawabbit said:

First time I stop in since last year's SB and I see this...

ian is correct, Nabbs. I can't tell you how many times I have had posts threatened to be deleted for stuff 99% of other message boards wouldn't bat an eye at. And this is back when the mods were apparently being too nice. That's one of several reasons you don't see me around much anymore.

Define bat an eye though? Is it talking Politics? Race? Sexuality? Derogatory/offensive remarks?

Don't  get me wrong I try to avoid NFL Gen like the Clap because of the cess pool / condescending nature of some of the arrogant  pricks that go in there. However the rules of this site haven't  changed  that I'm aware of since I joined in 2007. Just the age, maturity or lack there of of the posters on this site.

This Forum in particular has been allowed to get away with murder. From opposing fan bases to our own. It's what 'WE" ( myself included) allowed because  we didn't  want posters getting  banned. So the snippy comments, snide remarks, questionable posts in nature that were breaking the rules were dismissed , overlooked, or ignored in Hope's you all would self police, settle down before You know who had to be involved.

If other sites allow most of what I described above, have at it. Sounds like a Smitt show to me. One I probably be banned from within a month because my tolerance for the ignorant, is less and less these days.

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

I´ve never had trouble with the rules, what killed this forum was when it migrated to the improved site. only like 20% of the posters moved. And the activity of this forum went downhill fast.

I agree with this. 

Its crazy though back in the day there would be a ton of activity on this forum during the offseason. Now it’s pretty barren lol

It was dwindling even before the move. More and more people disappeared during the offseason. I believe it's a combination of no real effort to attract people to the forum and when people  actually come they see the attitudes of most of our posters and dip. For every post they see in general they see a dozen armchair coaches talking down to someone because they think they're *the* football guru. Yeah it's better within the subforums usually but what new poster is going to not go to the general forum first?

• Like 1

I honestly don’t think the rules make much difference. It’s really what seperates the site from devolving into name calling and trolling. I mean, look at everything on twitter and FB. It’s all crap. We were leading the charge at the height of the sites’ activity a few years ago. And the rules were in place then as well. 

I dunno, it’s not really a place with original content so people can go elsewhere to read about breaking news. And honestly, the whole world has rapidly lost patience and attention when it comes to reading in general. Even ill scroll ESPN and get weary of a piece that’s over a few paragraphs. I just want the meat of the story. Not that people come here anything for other than opinion but how much are you really interested in a two page argument (pissing contest) between two amateurs who think they know more than they actually do. It gets exhausting sometimes. What really made us special was our camaraderie. It’s a place where we all could hang out and talk about anything and everything but also discuss the Eagles, which we all share a passion for. Most of the other forums didn’t flourish under that same identity, at least not as much as we did. Once guys got older, had families and got busier, no young blood came to replace them. Maybe advertising or just general evolving slowed traffic down. Not exactly sure. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

What really made us special was our camaraderie. It’s a place where we all could hang out and talk about anything and everything but also discuss the Eagles, which we all share a passion for. Most of the other forums didn’t flourish under that same identity, at least not as much as we did. 

Edited by RBreezy

Not sure what happened, but totally just botched a gif post in response to Jroc lol

I completely agree with the above sentiment. Everyone getting older is definitely a driving factor. Back when we we were all at our posting peaks everyone was generally young. Now guys are getting married, guys are having kids lol. Completely changes the game 

• Like 1

Rules to me are fine, maybe it's my interpretation of the rules that I'm fine with IDK.

I think @Phire and I are very lax here, so it's never really been an oppressive place like some have said (at least for a long time). Nabbsy and @808 were already lax too.

In fact I purposefully let people come in here and tango a bit whereas some see it as trolling. It's being a fan and part of that is talking some crap.
It has limits when you make it personally, but overall yea...come in here and tell me how good Dak is, and we can debate. Walling the gardens would kill us so I don't do it unless it is just full blown trolling. 

Now maybe NFL genny is that way, but it is a volatile place. It needs nudges and to be cleaned up now and again.
Like @Jroc04 said, a lot of this is to keep it from devolving into a place where people threaten others for saying "Dak is probably the 47th best QB in the league" or just shout at each other like idiots. 

It's the growing up that's hurt us, it's the end of the sandlot. All the kids are slowly fading and moving away.
We still come back for holidays (Free agent moves, trades, draft, games) but a lot of people have way more to do.

I consider myself on the lower end of having stuff to do amongst us, and I still can't spend nearly the time I did 8-10 years ago.
There were times I'd be on here all night. But now I have a real job and people I need/want to spend time with....just can't do it like I used to.

I think it just takes everyone wanting to, to keep us going. I try and post any news to stoke flames of conversation. Works sometimes, some of it there isn't much to say I guess. 
"I have a 5 paragraph response to how awful the new asst. OL coach is." isn't what anyone really cares to do.

As far as the arguments, I think most times they are healthy disagreements. I think people need to be a little more thick skinned and not take it personally when someone disagrees with you or the FO. In the end we are missing so many datapoints, that saying things definitively and shouting down others is kinda silly. We do the best we can, and I think a lot of us have a pretty solid football IQ and know Howie well enough to see trends. But it's all guesswork.

I'm certainly down to hearing what you guys wanna do.

23 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

I´ve never had trouble with the rules, what killed this forum was when it migrated to the improved site. only like 20% of the posters moved. And the activity of this forum went downhill fast.

Disagree. The old forum was hot garbage. I wouldn't show up because of how antiquated it was as well as all the damn megathreads for everything.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Disagree. The old forum was hot garbage. I wouldn't show up because of how antiquated it was as well as all the damn megathreads for everything.

Sure, this site is much better the thing I mean is that when it migrated most posters didn´t. We have a better site with far less activity. 

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

Sure, this site is much better the thing I mean is that when it migrated most posters didn´t. We have a better site with far less activity. 

The real problem is we aren't getting NEW users. There are multiple reasons for this.

1. Reddit exists
2. The front page of the site is hardly ever touched and looks like it hasn't been updated aesthetically in 10 years. Hell the most current news there is almost a year old. This means people often won't delve deeper into the sight and in turn the forums. 
3. What in particular brings individuals to this site? Back in the day, I found it because I was looking for Mock Drafts, but there are so many mocks out there on the internet now that it gets lost in the crowd so to speak. I assume there's no advertising going on.