Around the NFL - NFL General GDT

Danger

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This was only one game and I'm not counting our chickens (not that I think he'll vault into being a top end corner, but hoping he can be a legit #2 opposite CJ Hendo), but this looked like the guy I was high on coming out of Washington yesterday. 

Exactly what we've been talking about for a while now. Our coaching staff sucks at coaching and actually teaching players how to be better. They scheme poorly and incredibly predictably. Both Gym Shorts and Doug Pederson or any of their subordinates don't really know how to actually coach players. Doug is a players coach, so the guys like him well enough, but he sucks at actually coaching and at calling plays. Jim Schwartz? I don't know what the heck that guy does well. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

Exactly what we've been talking about for a while now. Our coaching staff sucks at coaching and actually teaching players how to be better. They scheme poorly and incredibly predictably. Both Gym Shorts and Doug Pederson or any of their subordinates don't really know how to actually coach players. Doug is a players coach, so the guys like him well enough, but he sucks at actually coaching and at calling plays. Jim Schwartz? I don't know what the heck that guy does well. 

I just don't know how you don't alter your scheme to fit players in. We have issues like that in JAX, but I thought Pederson/Schwartz would be much better than that.

We usually do well with corners so that's why I was cautiously optimistic on Jones. I just had a hard time believing his injury history dropped him that far off from his Washington days. That was vintage Sidney Jones yesterday.

18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I just don't know how you don't alter your scheme to fit players in. We have issues like that in JAX, but I thought Pederson/Schwartz would be much better than that.

We usually do well with corners so that's why I was cautiously optimistic on Jones. I just had a hard time believing his injury history dropped him that far off from his Washington days. That was vintage Sidney Jones yesterday.

We only seem to do decent in the trenches and maybe at RB. Everywhere else? Coaches suck.

17 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Bad players can have good games. Sidney Jones won’t be some top 10 corner. He was a guy whose most impressive skill on tape was his speed, then he got hurt and was never as fast. He is likely better than how he played here because gym shorts is clueless as hell when it comes to anything but the DL, but I think he will be at best a fringe starter for his career. 

Didn't see this before but I'd say this is fairly premature. 

10 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

We cut Casey Toohill a somewhat promising late round DE with athletic upside to activate a 32 year old Vinny Curry who won't be with the team past this season?

I hate this team smh...

Has toohill actually done anything?

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Didn't see this before but I'd say this is fairly premature. 

One good game or all his bad ones here?

He has potential but I think saying he will be a fringe starter is extremely fair atm. Maybe he continues to shine, but he was a bad player here and as bad as our coaching staff has been it wasn't all on them.

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

One good game or all his bad ones here?

He has potential but I think saying he will be a fringe starter is extremely fair atm. Maybe he continues to shine, but he was a bad player here and as bad as our coaching staff has been it wasn't all on them.

He's a 24 year old corner who had big time potential coming out of the draft. Acting as if he's a fringe starter at best seems premature. To say that's what he'll be based on his tape in Philly? Sure.

But if we're talking about upside/potential, I'd say that's most definitely on the far pessimistic side of "best case". Young players with a change of scenery have shown plenty of times that sometimes just finding the right scheme/situation can unlock a player. Not that I'm saying I think he will, but when talking " best case scenario"...

5 hours ago, Danger said:
5 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

We cut Casey Toohill a somewhat promising late round DE with athletic upside to activate a 32 year old Vinny Curry who won't be with the team past this season?

I hate this team smh...

Has toohill actually done anything?

He only played a few snaps in one game. I'm blanking on the game. He looked athletic but not ready.

I didn't want to risk him to waivers though. We probably could get him to the practice squad, but I'd rather not risk it. There were other players we could've cut. Opeta? Juriga? Clement? Huntley? Epps? Gerry??

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

He's a 24 year old corner who had big time potential coming out of the draft. Acting as if he's a fringe starter at best seems premature. To say that's what he'll be based on his tape in Philly? Sure.

But if we're talking about upside/potential, I'd say that's most definitely on the far pessimistic side of "best case". Young players with a change of scenery have shown plenty of times that sometimes just finding the right scheme/situation can unlock a player. Not that I'm saying I think he will, but when talking " best case scenario"...

Why would I expect the "best case" for a player that was terrible here... ya best case he is a legit number one corner who does it all, but I just don't think that is what ultimately happens. That is my point.