Around the NFL - NFL General GDT

Danger

9 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Okay so who are the best route runners in this class? Was JJ considered a good route runner?

a small collection
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jj-arcega-whiteside

Route Running - Mostly worked a vertical third for the Stanford attack; was rarely asked to cross the formation on any routes other than a shallow crosser. Illustrates a fundamental awareness of attacking leverage, generating a stack, and maintaining downfield leverage on deep balls. Gets his head around with intention. Lacks the elite physical profile to be a true separator, but regularly creates throwing windows and can win through contact/adjust to inaccurate balls. Has clean and decisive footwork at break point to snap into his routes, though is guilty of using too many steps in an effort to create deception he doesn't need to. Could recruit his hands more to clear contact.

Releases - Technically sound and remarkably effective. Immediately threatens the leveraged side of the corner and forces hesitation steps/turns, of which he can immediately take advantage. Has good short-area quicks and burst, mostly as a result of galloping strides that can close cushion quickly. Does not activate his hands to clear his shoulders as much as you'd like to see for a player of his size; is guilty of inviting/accepting contact and getting knocked off the red line without reason.

- Ben Solak (Eagles podcaster and scout for the Draft Network

Other Draft Network Scouts

Route Running –Really deliberate with his release, love the way he uses his head and his hands to ensure space to climb. He doesn't always sell vertical components with effectiveness but he's got ample awareness of changing his angles to create space and good feet at the top of routes. 

Routes - Technically refined, almost mechanical route runner. Uncovers well in the short and intermediate areas of the field with nuanced releases, timing and active hands in the contact window. Does well to attack leverage and adjust on the fly. Requires too much throttle down and is guilty of extra steps on horizontal breaks. Lacks burst at the top of routes and is an overall modest separator.

Route Running – Arcega-Whiteside has conscious technique as a route runner, and while he has some physical limitations, he’s refined nearly all other aspects in this area. His releases against press coverage are dominant, as he gets out of his stance in an immediately squared position. With fast feet in short bursts, he moves laterally well to clear his hips of the defensive back. Additionally, his hand usage consistently keeps his pads clean. Considering his size, the combination of fast feet, lateral agility and hand usage allows him to get into his vertical routes. He senses space well on his curl routes, finding windows in-between zone drops. While Arcega-Whiteside has shiftiness in his hips, his horizontal breaks are a bit limited. He either needs an extra step to get defined or slows down to an almost complete stop. Additionally, he could use his hands more at the top of the route to clear his pads and allow for more acceleration out of breaks.

5 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I'd say they all generally point to him being a good, but not great route runner. I'm looking forward to seeing what a new WR coach does for him. Literally nowhere to go but up.

Honestly believe he was overwhelmed learning all the WR positions, not just focusing on the X or Y or Z do to injuries. Kinda like Dillard trying to switch to RT when it was Clear he could play LT at this level. RT, he sucked! Some players need one thing to focus on not 3-4.

He's not a lost cause by any means, just a work in progress!

22 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I think he'll improve, and it'll be a nice bonus for us going into next season. I truly do have faith in the guy. He did flash SOME above replacement level skill in my eyes.

This is how we are evaluating talent now. God help us. 

35 minutes ago, oland11 said:

This is how we are evaluating talent now. God help us. 

Lmao. That ball he tracked over his shoulder vs can't remember who, and that pass he went up and snatched on the first play vs Dallas were the 2 plays that flashed to me. Those are above average plays.

Edited by EagleBlueDon

11 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Lmao. That ball he tracked over his shoulder vs can't remember who, and that pass he went up and snatched on the first play vs Dallas were the 2 plays that flashed to me. Those are above average plays.

I think he has time to get better, however our QB doesn't throw those 50/50 balls enough that play to JJAW strengths. He needs to develop more to his arsenal.  

19 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I think he has time to get better, however our QB doesn't throw those 50/50 balls enough that play to JJAW strengths. He needs to develop more to his arsenal.  

why would he throw someone a 50/50 ball when he hasn't shown that he can catch a ball placed perfectly in his hands.

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

why would he throw someone a 50/50 ball when he hasn't shown that he can catch a ball placed perfectly in his hands.

I'm talking over the course of Carson's career, that isn't his game not specifically this year I mean everyone dropped passes this year.