Week 2 GDT: KC @ Pit

onejayhawk

And we have a 1st and 2 second rounders next year to address some team needs, on primarily defense.  The Chiefs finally found their QBOTF and made sure they traded up and got him.  I believe we saw a future hall of famer out there today!

That's possible. This is the first time anyone has thrown 10 TD in the first two games of a season. The record is 55 (Peyton Manning in 2013) but 40 has only been done 12 times.

The stat that will be overlooked is the five incompletions. He was 23 for 28. That yields a jaw-dropping 11.64 yards per attempt. In comparison, BenRoth was 7.53 YPA.

J

39 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Whhhooooottt!! Just found a place to rewatch the fullgame absolutely legally and for free!

German TV station website!

Yeah i think every game they show on free TV or via stream (combined 3 per week) can be reviewed for 3 days. I think the SB even for 1 week. I don't really like the commentator from yesterday, rather favour 1-2 others in that crew, but in the end i'm just happy that we have a chance to see the Chiefs as well and that everybody here has a chance to watch some NFL games and the full playoffs. That's a really great service.

After having watched the whole game I have no clue what happened defensively after the the first quarter. Until then you had pressure on Roethislisburger or the RB from the moment of the snap ... thereafter .. nothing. #95 was wreaking havoc in the backfield initially. Did he retire? Drop in coverage? I just don't get it. Was it PIT adjustments or KC ignorance?

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

After having watched the whole game I have no clue what happened defensively after the the first quarter. Until then you had pressure on Roethislisburger or the RB from the moment of the snap ... thereafter .. nothing. #95 was wreaking havoc in the backfield initially. Did he retire? Drop in coverage? I just don't get it. Was it PIT adjustments or KC ignorance?

I honestly have no idea.  Bobs mindset changed when we got the big lead and he never went back.  

3 man rushes were killing us.  I’m not sure if he changed to this once we got the lead, but our DB’s were being put into terrible positions.  I’m not even mad about the holds,  any DB is going to hold when you are not getting pressure and giving the QB all day.

I actually thought the DB’s held their own, in terms of the talent at WR we were playing, when we put a little pressure on Ben.  We hardly blitz anyways, but it wasn’t even needed this game, the 4 man rush was generating enough pressure when we actually used it.  One can only hope Bob actually sees this.

Random thought of Andy saying Bob was throwing every Blitz at Mahomes in training camp made me chuckle.

2 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

We started basic with 4 or 5 man rushes most plays then went to 3 man rushes when we got the lead. Led to Pittsburgh always being able to double two guys. Anytime we felt safe we went 3 man rush. So the whole 3rd quarter and towards the end of the game. Did the same thing in the 4th against the Chargers.

Our DL is doing a very good job actually in collapsing the pocket, and LAC and PIT both actually have pretty good OLs this year. Jones is still great, and Bailey looks closer to 2015ish form in terms of strength and bull rush. But there's a huge difference between rushing Ford/Jones/Bailey/Houston or Ford/Jones/Williams/Bailey, and when we drop one and just rush Jones/Bailey/1 OLB or Jones/Williams/Bailey and they're able to double two guys, and probably chip and single team the other. Ford has played very well so far, but when you're just rushing him and the two interior guys, we're basically accepting two double teams and saying if Ford doesn't get there, no one will.

And we've had success with 3 man rushes against certain QBs in the past. Worked against Brady last year. Has historically been successful for us against Carr and Rivers. But that was also when we had an aggressive back 4 that excelled at baiting QBs into throws they shouldn't make.

I listened to a couple of different shows talk about the refs and penalties today. Both shows brought up the Chiefs/Steelers game and how it was crazy that KC only got one sack on so many pass attempts. It came down to Pittsburgh holding nearly every play because they knew the officials wouldn't call it since it slows down the game. So I kind of wonder if Sutton considered that and thought it'd be better to have more coverage.

I haven't re-watched the game so I can't confirm that. But one host said that's what an official had told them to do in the past. I can't remember who it was but it was on the XM NFL radio channel this afternoon.

50 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I listened to a couple of different shows talk about the refs and penalties today. Both shows brought up the Chiefs/Steelers game and how it was crazy that KC only got one sack on so many pass attempts. It came down to Pittsburgh holding nearly every play because they knew the officials wouldn't call it since it slows down the game. So I kind of wonder if Sutton considered that and thought it'd be better to have more coverage.

I haven't re-watched the game so I can't confirm that. But one host said that's what an official had told them to do in the past. I can't remember who it was but it was on the XM NFL radio channel this afternoon.

I wasn’t worried about the lack of sacks.  We weren’t getting sacks with a 4 man rush but the pressure was causing inaccurate passes from Ben.  

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Well I know this much - KC's defense is now rated 31st. (next to LAST) after just 2 games. I know we've faced 2 good QB's, but honestly, we can't give up 30+ points each game and expect to win championships. Even if PM is the next QB god.

They won't. We went up against two great offenses with possible hall of fame QBs who had to play from behind the whole game. That will help inflate the stats.

But we will be giving up a lot of yards and possibly points when the other team runs more plays and has the ball longer.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:10 AM, jimmydee said:

Explain please.  PM threw for 10 TD's first two games.  Never been done before, then you say the record is 55, but 40 has been done 12 times.   WTF do yo mean??

The record is 55 for a whole season, ie 45 to go. 40 in 16 games has only been done 12 times, so getting the record is a long shot.

J

Archived