Up/down Week 2

theJ

I'll start it.  

Up

1. The safety play.  Bates and Williams both had great games
  2. Obviously AJ Green 
  3. Mixon continues to impress.  That's a tough defense to run on.
  4. I thought Hart and Redman both played much better this week, even if they had some special schemes to keep them out of trouble.
  5. The defensive line had a good game.  Good rebound after last week's game.  Lots of pressures, sacks and batted balls.
  6. Bonus: Tyler Boyd had a great game too.  He was the chain mover.

Down

1. This team can't close the 1st half on a positive
  2. Not being able to kick long FG's
  3. The tackling was pretty bad
  4. The officiating.  Lots of ticky tack penalties that led to Baltimore scores.

Up:

1. Dalton continues to play well and play smart

2. Mixon is just on another level. The stats don’t tell the whole story with his presence on the field 

3. Oline was great, 0 sacks was a pleasant surprise 

4. Tyler Boyd continues to make plays when his number is called

5. Opportunistic defense coming up big when it matters 

Down:

1. John Ross getting involved. Wish we could get him in space a little more

2. I liked the aggressive move to try and score before half, but the playcalling was bad 

3. Letting teams back into the game will come back to haunt us vs a better offense 

4. Injuries

Up:

1. Joe Mixon - The kid is special.

2. Andy Dalton - Continues to impress me.

3. The defense sans Burfict - WJIII and Kirkpatrick are playing great. Linebackers have been good. The defensive line is causing pressure. Really well balanced and we're still missing our core player.

4. The playcalling - Loving Bill Lazor right now.

5. The offensive line - Hopkins came in and we didn't skip a beat. Redmond and Hart were better. We opened nice running lanes.

Down:

1. John Ross - Really struggling to find a groove. Disappointed we haven't taken any deep shots with him yet.

UP'S

1. AJ Green

2. Williams and Bates both scoring an INT.

3. Big Geno and the young DL stepping up

4. Trey Hopkins stepping in for Billy Price (something very much overlooked this game)

5. Dalton going 8 for 10 when being pressured

DOWN'S

1. Blowing a 21 point lead and making it within a 5 point game in the 4th qrt

2. Redmond and Hart still suck

3. Dre Kirkpatrick struggling

4. Offense only scoring 6 points in the 2nd half.

5. These damn referees are going to ruin the NFL if this keeps up.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Jessie Bates might end up being the steal of the draft.  In his first 2 games as a pro, he's arguably been the Bengals best defensive player.

Yeah so far he's the best value pick for sure. Immediate impact, and already is providing more value than iloka would have. 

18 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Jessie Bates might end up being the steal of the draft.  In his first 2 games as a pro, he's arguably been the Bengals best defensive player.

Best young player, yes.  Geno has been his usual beastly self.  Dunlap had two sacks lost to ticky tack or false penalties.  

Bates has been great tho.

I'd add Dre as an "up" player.  He may not be worth a top 15 CB salary, but he is more than solid enough to be sonsidered a solid #2 in the room.  He clearly isn't an All pro, but the team has Jackson for that.  Throw in Dennard to the "Ups" as well, as he has been extremely effective in run stops, and at least "good" in coverage.

I'd personally add Van Pelt as an UP as well.  Dalton looks like he is going through his progressions as well as he ever has.  And I must say that third TD to Green was a thing of beauty.  Plus, it's a throw he would have never attempted in year's past. He put it in a tight space and let Green do his thing.

Archived