Mixon vs. the field

SmittyBacall

9 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Bruhs. Kamara is a badass. He's what Reggie Bush was supposed to be. Without the top end speed.

Kamara’s very good. 

But I’m not currently ranking him with 1,500 rushing yard/2,000 YFS guys. Not until he does it as well.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Kamara’s very good. 

But I’m not currently ranking him with 1,500 rushing yard/2,000 YFS guys. Not until he does it as well.

His efficiency (which is more important than bulk numbers) is ridiculous. And how smooth he is wiggling through traffic, making guys miss, and occasionally lowering his shoulder is crazy impressive.

I think the NFL's Tier I for RBs is as follows (in no order):

Todd Gurley II - Electric athlete, great all-around, great stats
Le'Veon Bell - Maybe not the athlete some guys are but just an unbelievable runner
David Johnson - See Gurley
Ezekiel Elliott - Super polished, great runner, good athlete, good stats, etc.
Alvin Kamara - Great athlete, unparalleled receiver
Saquon Barkley - The best athlete right now at the RB position

Fournette and Mixon aren't there yet to me. I know that seems a little iffy with Barkley being there but there's a reason the guy went No. 2.

33 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

His efficiency (which is more important than bulk numbers) is ridiculous. And how smooth he is wiggling through traffic, making guys miss, and occasionally lowering his shoulder is crazy impressive.

Efficiency goes down with bulk. 

Im not ready to call a guy with less than 150 career carries the best in the league, lol.

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Im not ready to call a guy with less than 150 career carries the best in the league, lol.

I'm not calling him the best in the league. But I think he belongs in the first tier of RBs. Which is actually a decent group. 

I think he deserves to be considered among his peers, which would be among the best in the league. He's a step above the rest like Zeke, DJ, Bell, and Gurley. I don't think it's unreasonable to consider him among those guys.

55 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'm not calling him the best in the league. But I think he belongs in the first tier of RBs. Which is actually a decent group. 

I think he deserves to be considered among his peers, which would be among the best in the league. He's a step above the rest like Zeke, DJ, Bell, and Gurley. I don't think it's unreasonable to consider him among those guys.

So you’re not calling him the best in the league, but he deserves to be in the exact conversation with all the guys who are the best in the league..?

I mean, isn’t the part of the point in having tiers supposed to be because guys are indistinguishable? You can make arguments for any of those guys being the best there is at the running back position. 

I find it unreasonable to add a guy with 150> career carries into that discussion. 

20 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

So you’re not calling him the best in the league, but he deserves to be in the exact conversation with all the guys who are the best in the league..?

I mean, isn’t the part of the point in having tiers supposed to be because guys are indistinguishable? You can make arguments for any of those guys being the best there is at the running back position. 

I find it unreasonable to add a guy with 150> career carries into that discussion. 

Touches (of which Kamara has over 200 in 17 games) is, again, more important than bulk stats. What he does with those touches is better than, say, what Emmitt Smith did with his ridiculous amount of carries.

I don't even like him but there's no denying what he's been able to do so far in his career. Throw in Brees and he's been remarkable.

If Zeke can be considered mostly due to his rookie year (behind the best oline in football and the RoTY) then there's no reason not to put Kamara in that same group.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

Touches (of which Kamara has over 200 in 17 games) is, again, more important than bulk stats. What he does with those touches is better than, say, what Emmitt Smith did with his ridiculous amount of carries.

I’m going to ignore the fact that we’re introducing Emmitt Smith into this debate...

But I’ll repeat: efficiency goes down with carries. His efficiency was crazy, 6.9 yards a pop, even with a low carry total, is very impressive. That doesn’t elevate him above full-time players.

Kamara’s one of the best receiving backs in the league, but he needs to show that he can shoulder a real load running the ball. You’d think we’re talking about Marshall Faulk when discussing Kamara on this board sometimes - a guy who’s amongst the best in rushing and also receiving for 1,000 yards. 

Maybe he has that ceiling, but he needs to do it first before giving him that credit.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't even like him but there's no denying what he's been able to do so far in his career. Throw in Brees and he's been remarkable.

You’re right, no denying that he’s a great receiving back and efficient runner. 

2 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

I think the NFL's Tier I for RBs is as follows (in no order):

Todd Gurley II - Electric athlete, great all-around, great stats
Le'Veon Bell - Maybe not the athlete some guys are but just an unbelievable runner
David Johnson - See Gurley
Ezekiel Elliott - Super polished, great runner, good athlete, good stats, etc.
Alvin Kamara - Great athlete, unparalleled receiver
Saquon Barkley - The best athlete right now at the RB position

Fournette and Mixon aren't there yet to me. I know that seems a little iffy with Barkley being there but there's a reason the guy went No. 2.

I agree with this list except Barkley. Put Kareem Hunt in there and I'd call it good.

Mixon is currently 3rd tier imo

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Kamara’s one of the best receiving backs in the league, but he needs to show that he can shoulder a real load running the ball. You’d think we’re talking about Marshall Faulk when discussing Kamara on this board sometimes - a guy who’s amongst the best in rushing and also receiving for 1,000 yards. 

I don't think he needs to reach a HoF level to be considered one of the best RBs in the league right now.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Not the best, but just watching him on the field, it's hard to not call him near elite. He also had 830 receiving yards last year.

He had 1500 yards from scrimmage in a timeshare with Ingram. That's pretty freaking insane. 

I'm a bit biased because I LOVED him out of college (more than most), but his first year was definitely on par with those guys.

Archived