Mixon vs. the field

SmittyBacall

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't think he needs to reach a HoF level to be considered one of the best RBs in the league right now.

Would 150 carries or maybe 1,000 yards rushing be too much to ask before being considered tops in the league? Jesus...

14 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not the best, but just watching him on the field, it's hard to not call him near elite. He also had 830 receiving yards last year.

He had 1500 yards from scrimmage in a timeshare with Ingram. That's pretty freaking insane. 

I'm a bit biased because I LOVED him out of college (more than most), but his first year was definitely on par with those guys.

Yes, he was very impressive. His yardage totals and efficiency stats were crazy good. 

But he’s being compared with guys who have proven to carry offensive loads, had elite production running the ball, and shown ~2,000+ YFS type seasons. Is it too much to ask to want to see it first before just putting him right in there with the ones that have done it?

15 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

It's still early but I truly believe Mixon establishes himself as one of the leagues best backs by the end of the year. What's the general consensus/opinion on Joe Mixon? What backs would you be taking over him? What areas does he need to improve or what accomplishments does he need to achieve to gain recognition versus his peers? Does he or could he belong on that top tier of runningbacks?

I think he's on Tier 1 with:

Todd Gurley

Le'veon Bell

Saquon Barkley

David Johnson

Alvin Kamara

Joe Mixon

Leonard Fournette

Ezekiel Elliot

Thoughts?

Barkley is tier-1 after one week?

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

Especially when he's one huge run away from averaging like two yards per carry.

I’m not saying he won’t be great, but let’s pump the brakes a bit. I remember another all-world athlete RB that was selected at #2. Things don’t always work out. 

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

What about 1,700 yards and 16 TDs in 17 games? With another 300 return yards (30+ avg) and a TD.

Very impressive numbers. Elite pass catching RB and very efficient runner. 

Still need to be an elite runner to be an elite running back, in my book.

32 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

File this crap under the week 2 overreactions lol

This dude has like 800 career yards and people already wanna put him in Tier 1? That's hilarious.

Barkley has one career game and it’s pretty obvious how special he is. I don’t need to watch X amount of games to assert he’s one of the leagues best runningbacks already. You can sit back and insult and play it safe. I know a good one when I see it. 

This is based off talent and projection, not resume. 

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Barkley has one career game and it’s pretty obvious how special he is. I don’t need to watch X amount of games to assert he’s one of the leagues best runningbacks already. You can sit back and insult and play it safe. I know a good one when I see it. 

This is based off talent and projection, not resume. 

What told you he's special based off that one game?

I watched every snap of Mixon's the other night and saw nothing special - certainly nothing I don't already see from Alex Collins and more. So why is Mixon somehow up in this Tier 1 but not Collins?

17 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What told you he's special based off that one game?

I watched every snap of Mixon's the other night and saw nothing special - certainly nothing I don't already see from Alex Collins and more. So why is Mixon somehow up in this Tier 1 but not Collins?

You can just tell by watching Barkley in the preseason and the opener that the reason he was a generational type prospect is transitioning to the NFL.

Collins is great in his own way. Love his running style. But Mixon is a more well-rounded back as a greater threat receiving the ball. Guys like Zeke, Howard and Fournette are adequate in comparison to their peers in the receiving aspect of the position, which definitely needs to be accounted for in these rankings.

If you think he’s nothing special I won’t try to change your mind. But there was a reason he would have likely been a top 10-15 pick during his draft year with a clean resume. 

On 9/15/2018 at 12:40 AM, bucsfan333 said:

What about 1,700 yards and 16 TDs in 17 games? With another 300 return yards (30+ avg) and a TD.

Thank you! Saved me a ton of writing the past few pages regarding Kamara. The guy is right up there with the best in the league at RB.

Archived