Game 2, 2018: vs Miami Dolphins

Bianconero

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Some things I take from the game

First off the Jets should have won that game. There was too many bone head mistakes from the coach to the players. Over all not bad.

Good

I like how Darnold made some great throws and the WR made some great plays.

The rookie TE might be a bust pick. His big thing is catching and he had several drops. This is not good because it it rare for someone to have a bunch of drops and come back from it. 

The OL was pretty bad going against a below average DL. 

I said this a million times and it is proven true. You don't need the big name pass rusher to get sacks. I would take a strong DB than a pass rush guy. We are getting coverage sacks a lot. 

I think Jason Myers might cost us some games too. He has a good league but he misses a lot. Dan Bailey has 4 offers on the table and word is he is going to join one this week. I hope it is the Jets. He said he wanted to be with a contender so I'm thinking Minn.

We probably should have won this game and I am a big believer of getting rid of Bowles, but this was a game the player blew, not Todd Bowles. 

How is it rare for a rookie TE making his debut to have a ton of drops and come back from it? He is raw and will take time. Yeah he cost us a lot yesterday but the ability is there and they cannot give up on him. That fact that you actually have the audacity to use the word bust after one game is just a complete overreaction. Its okay, we are all a little upset about that game. He isn't a bust. Jury will be out for a while on Herndon.

We absolutely need a pass rusher or a change of scheme. Coverage sacks are so much harder to get in this league especially with rule changes.  Jets need a pass rusher, not to rely on coverage and hope someone will eventually get there. 

Hopefully we see a better showing Thursday night.

Told ya, they weren't fishes. lol.

Jason Myers is 4 for 4 fgs so far but missed a simple PAT. At least, he is no Daniel Carlson nor Zane Gonzalez.

Jets had more RAC production than first week. Hopefully, Jets continue that way for full season.

I don't know if Chris Herndon's fumble at end of 1st half is a concern but it was likely TD or go empty challenge in his gut. He ran well to get himself open but dropped an easy one?  Shame.

Darnold at least showed he was able to move the offense. Because of that, defense was rest well enough to freeze the opponent's score.  I can't believe Jets fell apart in Dolphins' final series. What is up with that?  Anyway, someone gave Jets some gas to burn, as a result, Jets pushed Dolphins back to out of their field goal position.  Good job, Jets. However, Jets decided to call a timeout on 3rd and 19 yards? I won't do that because Darnold can move the offense to endzone with the help of 4 timeouts (2 min included).

When an unit runs hotter you don't dare to find any way to cool down.

I had no issues with the game.  Dolphins made the plays to win and Jets made too many mistakes, simple as that.

Darnold looked really good IMO.  His awful throw came on the first pick.  Other than that he made some great throws.  He missed Q wide open which he admitted was just throwing it away and didn't even see him and one where Robby bailed him out on a pick but I don't fault him for the INT in the endzone, Pryor has to be there for him.

He also suffered on a few drops by Herndon/Pryor that could have changed the game on long 3rd down plays.  They were both sick throws if you know the two plays I'm talking about.  

As for the third and 19 I'm ok with that because Bowles said he wanted to keep them out of FG range to keep it a one score game.  I can live with aggressiveness like that even though they got burned.

Overall we still need to add in key areas pass rush and OL.  Until those units are upgraded teams will be able to fluster Darnold, stop the run game, and move the ball even on our secondary who played pretty well overall.

I hope Maye is back week 4 because we could use him and I hope Skrine gets phased out for more Nickerson as the season moves on.

Overall still love the way Darnold looks.  He's going to be great.  Got to bounce back against, can't believe I'm typing this, a tough CLE team that plays hard.

Dolphins could call timeout in order to regroup the team with a goal of moving the chain or play a conservative run game in order to improve the field of possession. Jets had no business to call timeout. Nor do I consider this aggressive.  3rd down and 19 yards with Tanny the erratic qb under center? Come on.  If it was Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, it won't matter for Jets.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Overall still love the way Darnold looks.  He's going to be great.  Got to bounce back against, can't believe I'm typing this, a tough CLE team that plays hard.

Yeah. Greg Williams will dial up wild defense so there is a good chance Darnold and OL make a bunch of mistakes. For that part, I hope for more good mistakes than bad mistakes.

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Dolphins could call timeout in order to regroup the team with a goal of moving the chain or play a conservative run game in order to improve the field of possession. Jets had no business to call timeout. Nor do I consider this aggressive.  3rd down and 19 yards with Tanny the erratic qb under center? Come on.  If it was Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, it won't matter for Jets.

He hit over 70% of his passes that day, erratic is not what I would call him.  If they picked up like 10 yards the game could have ended on a FG.  If Adams just sees Gore leak it's a great play call and he's tackled for like a 2 yard gain.  Instead Adams had his eyes on Tannehill and he missed Gore sneak out.  He went aggressive and got burned, it happens.  I'd rather that then his conservative approach in the past.

Edit: Adams responsibility on that play was a delayed blitz if nobody leaked out is the way it seemed.  He missed his assignment and it cost them.  Simple as that.  Young players make mistakes so you just live with the good plays and the bad.  We are trending in the right direction no reason to get down over a tough loss.

26 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I had no issues with the game.  Dolphins made the plays to win and Jets made too many mistakes, simple as that.

Darnold looked really good IMO.  His awful throw came on the first pick.  Other than that he made some great throws.  He missed Q wide open which he admitted was just throwing it away and didn't even see him and one where Robby bailed him out on a pick but I don't fault him for the INT in the endzone, Pryor has to be there for him.

He also suffered on a few drops by Herndon/Pryor that could have changed the game on long 3rd down plays.  They were both sick throws if you know the two plays I'm talking about.  

As for the third and 19 I'm ok with that because Bowles said he wanted to keep them out of FG range to keep it a one score game.  I can live with aggressiveness like that even though they got burned.

Overall we still need to add in key areas pass rush and OL.  Until those units are upgraded teams will be able to fluster Darnold, stop the run game, and move the ball even on our secondary who played pretty well overall.

I hope Maye is back week 4 because we could use him and I hope Skrine gets phased out for more Nickerson as the season moves on.

Well said ROCKICE, that is our whole team in a nutshell.  That is why I am not so upset about the loss Sunday. I also agree about Darnold.

36 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

He hit over 70% of his passes that day, erratic is not what I would call him.  If they picked up like 10 yards the game could have ended on a FG.  If Adams just sees Gore leak it's a great play call and he's tackled for like a 2 yard gain.  Instead Adams had his eyes on Tannehill and he missed Gore sneak out.  He went aggressive and got burned, it happens.  I'd rather that then his conservative approach in the past.

Edit: Adams responsibility on that play was a delayed blitz if nobody leaked out is the way it seemed.  He missed his assignment and it cost them.  Simple as that.  Young players make mistakes so you just live with the good plays and the bad.  We are trending in the right direction no reason to get down over a tough loss.

Not as a passer but in general under pressure as long as he doesn't come out of box because he surely can run. Jets overran Dolphins in back to back downs so there was a good chance Tanny and his co could screw up mentally on 3rd down and long situation.

Yeah, game is game.

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

He missed Q wide open which he admitted was just throwing it away and didn't even see him

This is really important. No timeouts and just seconds on the clock, Darnold had 1 responsibility: to make his reads and throw it away if no one is open. You can't take a sack and you can't throw a check down. He made his reads and was gonna chuck it into the stands until he sees Q. Maybe he tries to make the adjustment but he was pretty committed on that throw away - even I wasn't expecting to see Q there and thought Darnold was making the best decision.

I just want to highlight that this kid is so damn smart its incredible. Just wait until he actually has some NFL experience under his belt.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

This is really important. No timeouts and just seconds on the clock, Darnold had 1 responsibility: to make his reads and throw it away if no one is open. You can't take a sack and you can't throw a check down. He made his reads and was gonna chuck it into the stands until he sees Q. Maybe he tries to make the adjustment but he was pretty committed on that throw away - even I wasn't expecting to see Q there and thought Darnold was making the best decision.

I just want to highlight that this kid is so damn smart its incredible. Just wait until he actually has some NFL experience under his belt.

He is top 5 in the league in YPA.  Once he cleans things up he is going to be great.

Archived