How much of Peyton Manning not winning more than 1 SB was his fault?

mdonnelly21

5 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Peyton Manning had a ton of opportunities to win more than 1 SB. 

How much from what you can remember was his fault, or his teams, coaching fault...ect 

Manning was apart of two Super Bowl winning teams.  The Colts and Broncos.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

I know what you meant, and it's not anyone's fault on the colts. It's Tom Brady's fault.

They only got knocked out twice by the Patriots, and were certainly not likely to win it 04 had they avoided the Patriots. 03 is the only year they might not have won it because of Brady, but they would still have had to beat the Titans and Panthers.

I think it would be naive not to portion some (or a lot) of the blame to Peyton in the following games

Jan. 16, 2000, divisional, Titans (14-3) at Colts (13-3)

Spread: Colts by 5½

Score: Titans 19, Colts 16

Manning performance: 19-42, 227 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 62.3 passer rating. Indy didn't score its first TD until after the two-minute warning.

Jan. 4, 2003, wild card, Colts (10-6) at Jets (9-7)

Spread: Jets by 6

Score: Jets 41, Colts 0

Manning performance: 14-31, 137 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 31.2 passer rating.

Jan. 13, 2008, divisional, Chargers (12-5) at Colts (13-3)

Spread: Colts by 11

Score: Chargers 28, Colts 24

Manning performance: 33-48, 402 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 97.7 passer rating. Manning threw for more than 400 yards, but his picks ended two excellent scoring opportunities.

The other games seem to have certain mitigating factors, like the D giving up huge plays, or hardly any TOP, or not touching the ball in OT. 

I know what you mean as well.

IMO it is Peyton's fault in that he was always paid like an elite QB - but few players would take less money.

The Colts rarely had a good enough defense to actually win the super bowl. I put that on the GM and Dungy.

Brady (first three), Rodgers, Ben, Flacco, Wilson, Wentz/Foles, Warner, Dilfer, Johnson, Eli - pretty much every QB to win a super bowl except Peyton - did so taking up a smaller percentage of their teams cap.

3 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Brady (first three), Rodgers, Ben, Flacco, Wilson, Wentz/Foles, Warner, Dilfer, Johnson, Eli - pretty much every QB to win a super bowl except Peyton - did so taking up a smaller percentage of their teams cap.

And his second two then, as the cap hit % was less than in 04.

23 minutes ago, Danger said:

I know what you meant, and it's not anyone's fault on the colts. It's Tom Brady's fault.

That's the same answer I give when people bag on the Dolphins. Can't win the Super Bowl if you can't even get out of your own division. 

Brady is just that good. Best QB I've ever watched play. 

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think it would be naive not to portion some (or a lot) of the blame to Peyton in the following games

Jan. 16, 2000, divisional, Titans (14-3) at Colts (13-3)

Spread: Colts by 5½

Score: Titans 19, Colts 16

Manning performance: 19-42, 227 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 62.3 passer rating. Indy didn't score its first TD until after the two-minute warning.

Jan. 4, 2003, wild card, Colts (10-6) at Jets (9-7)

Spread: Jets by 6

Score: Jets 41, Colts 0

Manning performance: 14-31, 137 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 31.2 passer rating.

Jan. 13, 2008, divisional, Chargers (12-5) at Colts (13-3)

Spread: Colts by 11

Score: Chargers 28, Colts 24

Manning performance: 33-48, 402 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 97.7 passer rating. Manning threw for more than 400 yards, but his picks ended two excellent scoring opportunities.

The other games seem to have certain mitigating factors, like the D giving up huge plays, or hardly any TOP, or not touching the ball in OT. 

I’d add 3 games to this. 

2004- yes the Pats were a better team. No way in hell they should have nearly shut out one of the most prolific offenses of all time. That should have been a competitive game not a slog. 

2013- see above. I don’t care if the other team is better, they weren’t THAT much better that a record setting offense should be held to one score in garbage time 

Those two were just embarrassing and inexcusable. 

2005- that was arguably the best Colts team on both sides of the ball Manning had. And yeah everyone wants to blame the kicker but let’s be blunt, the Colts had a game they should have lost gifted to them by Bettis and Manning couldn’t get it done.

Hell even in 09 his team had a chance to win the Super Bowl until the interception. 

Manning’s problem was that he ran the same very simple offense his entire career that relied on precise timing and execution with an all time great QB and a stacked receiver Corp. When they played more physical defenses in the playoffs he looked a lot more mortal and he got flustered in key situations. 

He definitely should've won in 2003, 2004 and 2013 at a minimum. You can talk all you want about the Colts' defense not being up to snuff those years but there's no excuse for the offenses he had only putting up a total of 17 points in two games against the Patriots.

Manning’s problem was that he ran the same very simple offense his entire career that relied on precise timing and execution with an all time great QB and a stacked receiver Corp. When they played more physical defenses in the playoffs he looked a lot more mortal and he got flustered in key situations. 

That wasn't their problem.

For the most part, all QB's see a drop off in offensive efficiency in the playoff because you are facing better teams and it is a smaller sample size. The Colts issue was their defense. They built the defense to be dependent on Manning playing at high level every game and that just doesn't happen in the postseason. 

He definitely should've won in 2003, 2004 and 2013 at a minimum

I will give you 2003. But They had no business winning in 2004 and 2013 (especially in 2013.)

Archived