What If? The Vikings ran a 3-4 defense

The Gnat

Most of y'all are far too confused about a 3-4 defense and over think it because of our Vikings never running it.

23 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Depth wise, we would be pretty screwed, but we could put together a solid front seven.  The outside backers are allowed to be aggressive and set the edges to funnel everything back inside to Barr, Kendricks, and Joseph.  The defensive lineman don't read and react, they attack their gap and attempt to disrupt.

I agree with this, of course we would struggle with depth but we also wouldn't be switching to a 3-4 defense mid season.

Just like on offense, whatever QB is in the game you will be changing and adjusting your scheme. Would make little to no sense to just play this roster as a base 3-4

On 15/08/2017 at 5:57 PM, rpmwr19 said:

I think we could run more of a penetrating 34 front than a two gap front with reasonable success.  A Wade Phillips style defense where the 2-4-5 nickel look isn't dissimilar to our 4-2-5.  The way DeMarcus Ware describes it, it's basically a five defensive lineman front with two linebackers.  The defensive ends are generally taller and range from 275 to 290 lbs

DE - Tom Johnson
NT - Linval Joseph - Jaleel Johnson
DE - Datone Jones

WOLB - Danielle Hunter
WILB - Eric Kendricks
SILB - Anthony Barr
SOLB - Everson Griffin

Depth wise, we would be pretty screwed, but we could put together a solid front seven.  The outside backers are allowed to be aggressive and set the edges to funnel everything back inside to Barr, Kendricks, and Joseph.  The defensive lineman don't read and react, they attack their gap and attempt to disrupt.

I agree with this.

The 3-4 vs. 4-3 distinction is way overrated.

The big difference is between one-gap and two-gap schemes.

For example, Rex Ryan's 3-4 scheme can trace its lineage to his father's  famous "46" defence (which was a two-gap 4-3 scheme) and has little in common with Wade Phillips' one-gap 3-4, apart from the base formation.

I think you guys are underselling a 34 defense.  It gets more athletes out there.  It's always been my preferred scheme.  However, which scheme you run is also largely irrelevant in today's NFL where the nickel is prevalent.  You often have a 3-3 or a 2-4 front now, with a nickel back in there instead.  How many times have you seen a lineup like Hunter, Robison, Joseph and Griffen for example?  Your 3rd DE inside at DT (in a 2 point stance nonetheless) with 5 DBs behind them?  In the end, the main difference in the personnel is just your scheme and the type of athletes you have.  The Vikings are loaded with 34-type OLBs (big and athletic LB/DEs basically).  Robison would've been ideally suited for it.  Griffen and Hunter as well.  Barr is more of a 34 ILB type, since he lacks a true pass rush.  Even the traditional types of players in a 34 are changing now.  Before, Barr would've been the prototype 34 ILB.  Now?  You see guys like Ryan Shazier.  Smaller and faster for coverage.  

Joseph is also a 34 NT type.

The thing the Vikings lack are 5-tech type DEs.  They have none that ideally fit the mold for me.  There are a few guys who could do it in a pinch, but far from ideal.  Jaleel Johnson is going to be a good UT in the Vikes' 43, and could play DE in a 34, but it's not ideal due to lack of length.  He'd be serviceable in a 1-gapping 34 scheme but definitely not in a 2-gapper.  

10 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I think you guys are underselling a 34 defense.  It gets more athletes out there.

How? you are effectively swapping a LB for another DL

43 has 2 edge rushers, 2 IDL and 3 LB

34 has 2 edge rushers, 3 IDL and 2 LB

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

How? you are effectively swapping a LB for another DL

43 has 2 edge rushers, 2 IDL and 3 LB

34 has 2 edge rushers, 3 IDL and 2 LB

Typically your LBs are more athletic than DL.  4 LBs vs 3 LBs.  More athletes.  Simple as that.  Most teams aren't like the Vikings with 3 super athletic DEs that can play OLB in a 34.  

Archived