BDL 2018 Week 2: Cuba Smugglers @ Rome Eternals

Whicker

Cuba Smugglers @ Rome Eternals  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cuba Smugglers
    • Rome Eternals

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2018 at 04:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 2

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good Luck

Cuba Smugglers

QB: DeShaun Watson
RB: Dalvin Cook
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Randall Cobb
WR: Brandon Marshall
TE: Jack Doyle
LT: Jason Peters
LG: Andy Levitre
C: John Sullivan
RG: Rob Havenstein
RT: Demar Dotson

Bench
RB: Tevin Coleman
RB: TJ Yeldon
WR: Kelvin Benjamin
WR: Donte Moncrief
WR: Chester Rogers
H-Back: Rhett Ellison
TE: Ian Thomas
QB: Kirk Cousins 

DE: Jerry Hughes
DT: Marcell Dareus
DT: Fletcher Cox
DE: Calais Campbell
WLB: George Iloka
MLB: Anthony Walker Jr.
RCB: Quinton Dunbar
NCB: Darqueze Dennard
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: Derwin James
LCB: Richard Sherman 

Bench
SS: Morgan Burnett
Edge: Terrell Suggs
NCB: Bryce Callahan
RCB: Anthony Brown
SLB: Bruce Irvin
Edge: Julius Peppers
NCB: Kenny Moore
DT: Adam Butler

Rome Eternals

QB Drew Brees
RB Todd Gurley
WR JuJu Smith Schuster
WR Amari Cooper
TE Jordan  Reed
H-Back OJ Howard
LT Tyron Smith
LG Ramon  Foster
C Brandon Linder
RG Stefan Wisniiewski
RT Ryan Ramczyk

WR Tedd  Ginn Jr
WR James Washington
RB Theo Riddick
OL  Justin Britt
RB Phillip Lindsay
TE Austin Sefarian Jenkins
OT Marcus Gilbert
RB Marlon Mack q

DL Takk McKinley
DI Dalvin Tomlinson
DL  Michael Brockers
DL Carlos Dunlap
LB CJ Mosley
LB Josh  Bynes
CB William Jackson
CB Janoris Jenkins
CB Marlon Humphrey
S  Jahleel Addae
S  Shawn Williams

S Barry Church
Edge Marcus Davenport
Edge Samson Ekuban
DI Malcolm Brown
DL Matt Ioannidis
CB  Nickel Robley Coleman
LB Patrick Onwuasor
CB Prince Amukamara

Cuba Smugglers

We’re looking forward to our first of two games against Rome. We want to build on last week so this is a statement game for Cuba who can take a game lead in the division early. 

Offense

DeShaun had some rust to shake, and for now, we relish that his surrounding pieces could be better at each position than his reality. For example, our offensive line is better at every position led by newcomer Jason Peters. Rome has a solid pass rush but they aren’t amongst the elite pass rushes in BDL. We will preach balance with outside stretch and toss runs but passing  off play action in base sets and 4/5 wide is another staple. Julio Jones is going to battle a good player in William Jackson or Jack Rabbit Jenkins. Both guys have talent but Julio is obviously on another level. Doubled or not we plan to make Julio the most targeted player. We like the idea of getting him on drag and crossing routes where can get separation and hopefully YAC. That also sets the fly route where he can open up for Randall Cobb. Cobb can work inside and outside so how Rome covers him and if that player is willing to cover him in the slot should be a solid tell for man/zone. Those two will open up for our supplemental targets in Jack Doyle and Brandon Marshall. Josh Bynes is one player we plan on targeting if he starts again. On early downs, Watson will have his RB check downs with the TE open on flat routes. Marshall is still one of better red zone options so best believe he’ll get the chance when we reach that area. Last note of significance for receiving, Kelvin Benjamin will lineup for about ten snaps in the first half and get targets on three of them. His effectiveness on those routes will determine how much we use him in the second half.

Dalvin Cook is not forgotten and if Rome keeps 6 in the box with double on Julio we can have Doyle help our OLine get those stretch plays to work. We’re going to run into the C and A gaps with dive plays to try getting Cook established. He was terrific as a receiver so that will remain one of our ways to getting him involved(esp if Bynes is the first level of defense to reach him). He should again finish with the most touches. TJ Yeldon is the third down back. Tevin Coleman will be Dalvin’s spell back. The theme here is balance and all three guys will get their fair share of work. Our offense does not change with the personnel in the backfield.

Defense

While our offense is coming along, contrary to popular belief our defense is amongst the leagues premier units and showed that in week one. When playing Bcb and Drew Brees you need to be able to win in the secondary. Quinton Dunbar was elite last week, and while a repeat performance isn’t a reasonable expectation (8.3 passing rating when targeted) his presence should limit how much he’s tested or have him put up a respectable performance if he’s relentlessly targeted. Rome carries three good receivers, but we can make one our primary objective to stop. This week it’ll be Juju Smith-Schuster. Richard Sherman also held his own in week one (1 catch for 10 yards) and when we determine specific plays we need to win, Sherman will get the chance to matchup with him. Rome has some speedsters so it’ll be helpful that Sherman can cover the one guy that isn’t a flat line burner. Elsewhere Goodwin’s absence likely means more Jordan Reed and OJ Howard. George Iloka gets the start for that reason and playing under Derwin James gives us two versatile safeties that can cover TEs. Anthony Brown is a noted speedster and will match Ted Ginn

Stopping the receivers is not enough when Todd Gurley is around and that pass protection for Brees gives him time to read defenses. Tyron Smith was not his usual dominant self last week as he had some penalties and we want to take advantage of this. Calais Campbell will be more used at multiple spots seeking an advantage on run defense. We’re going to emphasize keeping Calais Campbell at DE on early downs to give us size against Gurley. We aren’t sure what inspired Rome to use a OT at RG, but we love our matchups if they repeat the action again. Fletcher Cox and Campbell are the top defensive line players between both teams and we bring elite depth. Terrell Suggs, Julius Peppers, and Bruce Irvin bring very good depth so even in uptempo, Brees won’t be able to sit and make reads without duress. Last note, when we show some 4-3 base with our incumbent starters, Bruce Irvin gets more SLB role where he plays the run and covers a shallow zone in flats and things of short variety.

Short writeup: Prepare for more two TE sets. Press man coverage with zone mixes. Sherman occasionally moving does not strictly signify man. Emphasis on rushing for. Keeping healthy rotation of Campbell, Cox, and Dareus on the field for Todd Gurley. Keeping tabs on him as a team.

Rome Eternals

Offense

We go back to a more traditional set this week as we look to take advantage of some weaknesses we see in the Cuba defense.  Our base set is to be a strong I formation with two wide receivers lined up on the same side of the ball. This accomplishes a huge goal for us in this game in that it will get either Jordan Reed or Todd  Gurley one on one with a LB. With Preston Brown out, it leaves Cuba extremely thin at LB with Anthony Walker playing limited snaps coming off a preseason injury and eh, BJ Goodson as the only other option in coverage situations.  

Thus expect us to put both our Te’s on one side while motioning out Reed to get a better idea of who is covering who.  This should allow Brees a simple early read on the defense as well as if it is zone, the corners will line up on opposite sides of the field and not on the same side as the wide outs.  For this purpose, we will rotate in Riddick and Lindsay more than normal to give Gurley a break while maintaining excellent pass catching skills out of the backfield

This Two TE set also allows us to have an empty side of the field to run sweeps to.  If Brees notices that a S is on the line covering Reed, he will send him to the opposite side which should give us an advantage running tosses to the open outside as we will have little to block on that side of the field.   If Cuba decides to take a LB off the field and use George doesn’t actually play defense this year Iloka, expect us to become more power run heave against what will be an even lighter defensive unit

We also go back to leaning heavily on Gurley in the run game this week which we feel we should be able to do with giving him more rest than an average game.  The front four of Cuba is strong but we feel like our O line is up to the task and we can take advantage of a weaker back seven. We believe Cuba will be preparing for another air raid attack and this could give us a good advantage earlier in the game.

Once we have the defense effectively worn down, we will open up the passing game a bit with Ginn replacing Howard.  Ginn’s main job is to run the seam, run posts and deep outs to draw a safety from the side of the field JuJu is on to get us some one on ones.  We will continue to use motiion with Reed to help Brees pre snap determine man or zone and we trust him to hot route into anything he feels is needed.   Obviously having multiple players on one side of the field he should audible into a flood type of route tree to take advantage of zone D

TL?DR     Get matchup issues on the Cuba LB, stay firm in the run game. Trust Brees to make the right decisions

Defense

Cuba brings in a solid offense this week but we are ready to match up against it.  

Cuba like to throw early and often at Julio, but we feel Janoris Jenkins is one of the best shut down corners in the league and with a little deep safety help over the top, we feel we can shut him down.  We move Marlon Humphrey onto Benjamin/Marshall while William Jackson gets Randall Cobb. In four wide robley Coleman sees the field against whoever is left. Jack Doyle is covered by CJ Moseley while Cook is getting covered by a safety.  If they go two wr two RB, Humphrey or Jackson draws the extra RB. Josh Bynes is charged with middle of the field zone and spying Watson. He also will occasionally blitz as well as the safety responsible for cook could blitz with Bynes rotating to that coverage tho the latter will not happen often   We will also sprinkle in base and zone blitzes to keep Watson guessing about 15 percent of the time.

Up front Cuba has a respectable offensive line with wily vets.  Peters is starting to show his age a bit and can struggle with speed rushers.  We have Takk on his side while we feel we have a decided advantage with Dunlap against Demar Dotson.  The interior big boys should stop any running from happening. With a safety assigned to cook on most plays it will allow us to have an extra man closer to the line to help against the run game.

We will rotate Brown and Ioannidis inside for long passing downs with Davenport seeing playing time at either edge today to keep our d line fresh.  Our PFF stat of the week is Matt Ioannidis is the number one interior pass rusher after week one after finishing top 15 in that category last year.

Tl/Dr :  eliminate Julio.  Trust the other talented corners.  Stop the run game

9 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Carlos Dunlap does not have a decided advantage against Demar Dotson.

Glad you’ve decided to play one formation the entire game.

Seeing how you're starting a special teamer safety at starting lb 

Then say it's a bad idea to start a tackle at guard then do it yourself.  I'm OK with not switching much 

Of course you apparantly don't read my whole write up when I talk about Ginn replacing Howard but that's OK 

20 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Seeing how you're starting a special teamer safety at starting lb 

Then say it's a bad idea to start a tackle at guard then do it yourself.  I'm OK with not switching much 

Of course you apparantly don't read my whole write up when I talk about Ginn replacing Howard but that's OK 

Subs are available. Morgan Burnett, Derwin James. Pick one.

Havenstien was a starter at guard during his second season. Your guy had zero experience.

Im sorry. I’m surprised you decided to use TWO formations for the entire game.

17 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Subs are available. Morgan Burnett, Derwin James. Pick one.

Havenstien was a starter at guard during his second season. Your guy had zero experience.

Im sorry. I’m surprised you decided to use TWO formations for the entire game.

So your backup lb to your not a lb is your fourth string safety.  Got Ya.  I enjoy Gurley getting a bazillion yards against a basically dime defense 

5 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

So your backup lb to your not a lb is your fourth string safety.  Got Ya.  I enjoy Gurley getting a bazillion yards against a basically dime defense 

My 4th safety is better than your starter. You clearly outlined moving with runs to the outside.

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

Morgan Burnett is better than cj moseley at lb?  What? 

Morgan Burnett is better than Shawn Williams and Addae. I started a faster player in case you wanted to use your receivers. Your two formations open the toss plays and only specify a power run if the former does not work.

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Morgan Burnett is better than Shawn Williams and Addae. I started a faster player in case you wanted to use your receivers. Your two formations open the toss plays and only specify a power run if the former does not work.

So basically you've realized he sux at lb and are now trying to attack my safeties to cover that up.  Got you.  PS you don't get to randomly put Burnett in for your Irl active backup if you don't think I can ever change formations or plans 

15 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

So basically you've realized he sux at lb and are now trying to attack my safeties to cover that up.  Got you.  PS you don't get to randomly put Burnett in for your Irl active backup if you don't think I can ever change formations or plans 

Gtfoh. I’m saying either way it goes my gameplan and lineup is better than yours.

Archived