5 up/5 down; The Mahowned edition

warfelg

Up:

We got a safety and a turnover.

JuJu played well

Down:

Jordan Berry Sucks

Dupree should not be starting, he has got to be leading the team in penalties right now.

Defense

Special Teams

Coaching

Kevin Colberte

Big Ben throwing off target, he should be up to 15 Ints by now.

Hell who am I kidding, nothing was very good about todays game.

I'm not big into lists. The team has sucked through all three phases too much over the first two games. They lost last week because of offense doing dumb things. Dumb things that weren't completely gone today, but less impactful. The defense is more concerning to me long term because I just don't see the play makers and I'm not even sure what the plan is. On offense, I know the playmakers are there and I just don't see what the plan is. They're above the 8 ball, obviously, in that regard. Half of the ingredients are there. But I think we continue to see them muddle there way through things.

It's early in the year. So maybe this ends up as a gut check for the team, but I'm highly skeptical. The chemistry of this team sucks. Their idea of introducing new blood is hiring a position coach or two. I mean, in the last 5 years we've seen that they're unhappy with the direction of both sides of the ball. They've decided to fire coordinators only to promote from within and basically continue on the same path (defense only really evolved, in anyway schematically, last year). Then there's Danny Smith. I'm not sure what he does. Did he pound the table for a return guy who doesn't suck in Switzer, but who is inexplicably given too many reps on offense?

2 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Can Bell play Corner, Safety or ILB? If he can cover a TE then pay him.  

Yet it's going to be a week of "how much do the Steelers miss Bell"?

Not just you @JustPlainNasty, but how do ya'll feel about Browns outburst?  I liked it.  About the only guy showing fire, passion, and emotion.

51 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I'm not big into lists. The team has sucked through all three phases too much over the first two games. They lost last week because of offense doing dumb things. Dumb things that weren't completely gone today, but less impactful. The defense is more concerning to me long term because I just don't see the play makers and I'm not even sure what the plan is. On offense, I know the playmakers are there and I just don't see what the plan is. They're above the 8 ball, obviously, in that regard. Half of the ingredients are there. But I think we continue to see them muddle there way through things.

It's early in the year. So maybe this ends up as a gut check for the team, but I'm highly skeptical. The chemistry of this team sucks. Their idea of introducing new blood is hiring a position coach or two. I mean, in the last 5 years we've seen that they're unhappy with the direction of both sides of the ball. They've decided to fire coordinators only to promote from within and basically continue on the same path (defense only really evolved, in anyway schematically, last year). Then there's Danny Smith. I'm not sure what he does. Did he pound the table for a return guy who doesn't suck in Switzer, but who is inexplicably given too many reps on offense?

Butler definitely should be on the hot seat and both Tomlin and Colbert should be questioned about their defensive picks. Artie Burns sucks, he was 3rd to 4th round value that we took in the 1st

5 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Butler definitely should be on the hot seat and both Tomlin and Colbert should be questioned about their defensive picks. Artie Burns sucks, he was 3rd to 4th round value that we took in the 4th. 

Huh?  Burns was rated early 2nd, we took him late 1st.  That's not all that bad.  Problem is we screwed up his development.

Maybe your thinking of Edmunds, a 3rd round value taken in the 1st; who they claimed other teams were going to trade up to take.

Just now, warfelg said:

Not just you @JustPlainNasty, but how do ya'll feel about Browns outburst?  I liked it.  About the only guy showing fire, passion, and emotion.

You know I dont like Bell at all, and I wouldn't pay him a dime to play running back, i wouldn't have paid him last year what they offered. 12 million was my cap at the time last year. Move on. He lost me after the 2nd suspension.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Huh?  Burns was rated early 2nd, we took him late 1st.  That's not all that bad.  Problem is we screwed up his development.

Maybe your thinking of Edmunds, a 3rd round value taken in the 1st; who they claimed other teams were going to trade up to take.

By who's ratings, Burns was a 3rd round value by most and i had him early 4th. Edmonds was an early 3rd round value or late 2nd, we werent that far off there but still a round early. 

30 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Was Browns outburst due to the team underperforming? Or was it for more self-serving reasons? hard to say anything until I have an answer to that question.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Was Browns outburst due to the team underperforming? Or was it for more self-serving reasons? hard to say anything until I have an answer to that question.

I had this discussion with someone else, and I think it was both.  A bit of get your best damn player the ball, and a bit "What the $#*&@#(% are we doing?!?!"

18 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Butler definitely should be on the hot seat and both Tomlin and Colbert should be questioned about their defensive picks. Artie Burns sucks, he was 3rd to 4th round value that we took in the 4th. 

how can we get JPN or Armsteeld in Colberts office, and remove his name tag from his desk!

I had a thread back in the summer about burns and dupree both being replaced by midseason. Chickillo got some snap[s from dupree, so they are already seeing the light and once Adeyini gets healthy , then thats it for dupree. Another bad RD1 pick, but perhaps coaching could take some blame as well. Burns should get replaced by midseason or the other option is to waste our season, take your pick. 

This has nothing to do with bell , more like some players getting exposed and the offence not playing well often enough. They were asleep in the first 20 minutes of the game or so, just out of it. If it wasn't for some bad officiating, this game would have been out of reach .

I don't know who to blame, but how about:

1. for players in drafts and missing on UFA - colbert

2. offence not being ready - tomlin and OC

3. Ben being terrible too often - ben, this is his preseason by the looks of it, and it could be costly with this difficult schedule. He still has it, but when will it win on sunday?

4. the D today - KC is a nightmare for D IMO, so I will wait to yell at  butler, but if butler can have input on who starts then he should wake up. See thread here  about dupree and burns :ph34r:

5. David and Edmunds were out of position and cost us today, and edmunds should have made that tackle, just like wtf is this. Does colbert spend the $ to sign ET and help this ? 

6. Bostic might be a decent LB, it's just that about 99.9% of the LB's in the league won't cover Kelce, it's just a fact. This is where a different D with a tall CB covering the TE might work better. This would be on the coaches as the scheme is at fault.  We all know a LB can't cover Kelce. 

7. Boswell deal looks wrong now thats for sure.  Maybe others here were right, kickers are a dime a dozen? I thought not, but am starting to reconsider because Mine also tied thanks to their kicker failing.

The Chiefs look to be  a threat and they owned us in our house without Berry at safety.  We were asleep and then out of the game by the end of first quarter, just about as bacd of a 1st quarter that I can remember for us in a long time. 

People , players and coaches need to be put on notice IF this continues. As I said earlier, the Chiefs are team that will give most D's  a matchup issue and I am going to wait a few weeks before I start firing people all over again . I was just thinking of that the other day , and now here we are at that point again>:(

Archived