5 up/5 down; The Mahowned edition

warfelg

This is to me, like the Dupree criticisms, it hits an absurd point where we can't even talk about what the player is really supposed to be.

Dupree shouldn't be an every down LB.  He's a situational speed rusher.  Should be lining up in the wide-9 position.  Coming hot off the edge in down and long passing situations.  He's not a run stuffer.  He's an ok cover guy.  But like Burns, he's misused and cast into a bad light so even his 'good' get ridiculed to the point that we can't look at him subjectively.  And this all honestly started with Rashard Mendenhall.

Burns is NOT a man press CB. He is a 5 yard off the LOS CB who isn't good enough in zone coverage. By him being an off man CB, he should be a good tackler but he is NOT. Burns doesn't have the ability to throttle down and redirect. Burns in press coverage is atrocious as he just turns and runs with the receiver. Haden was truly missed this game.

Dupree is a great athlete. The end.

Vince Williams is a try hard guy who gives his all. I love his heart but not his talents.

Bostic has been really good against the run. He is better in man but zone he gets moved too much. KC could have targeted the middle of the field all day and Steelers had no answer. 

Safeties: weak link of the defense. Burnett is limited athletically and that surprised me. Edmunds is very underwhelming right now. He can't make a tackle nor cover his zones. Edmunds is also struggling getting off blocks. Ronnie Harrison is looking good in Jacksonville. That being said hopefully Edmunds will get it together.

Watt can beat TEs and mediocre OTs but average guys easily block him. He isn't strong nor is his technique good enough to beat average OTs. 

Been missed Waaay too many easy throws for a QB of his level. He also made some silly predetermined throws to WRs that were blanketed and NO way should the ball go there but Ben did it anyway. Looking at his stats, it is easy to be mislead that he had a good game but he really didn't.

AB is in the same position almost every time which makes it easy to double team him. He was quiet but frustrated that wide open guys were not targeted or failing to capitalize on their opportunities.

Conners is solid catching checkdowns and getting yards. Pass block needs work and he misses holes in the run game that the He Who Should Not Be Brought Up would have exploited.

Jesse James balled out. He just gets open and I'm ok with that. Solid catching ability and tries hard in the run game.

Steelers created a mess by not upgrading the CB position as they are neither a man nor zone coverage team. Teams are spreading them apart and making them look like peewee league. I remember when defenses dictated what the offenses ran. Butler is bland and predictable. I called some of his blitzes and he needs to get away from his Dime defense. Fitchner wanted Ben to outperform Mahommes and it backfired. When Ben throws the football over 25 times, our winning percentage drops big time. I will look for that stat while the Steelers look for their balls and their pride.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

This is to me, like the Dupree criticisms, it hits an absurd point where we can't even talk about what the player is really supposed to be.

Dupree shouldn't be an every down LB.  He's a situational speed rusher.  Should be lining up in the wide-9 position.  Coming hot off the edge in down and long passing situations.  He's not a run stuffer.  He's an ok cover guy.  But like Burns, he's misused and cast into a bad light so even his 'good' get ridiculed to the point that we can't look at him subjectively.  And this all honestly started with Rashard Mendenhall.

this team has had a habit of misusing talent and drafting the wrong players in RD1 .  I agree that dupree is misused, it's not all his fault  but the problem I have is the many times he is in a pass rushing situation he isn't living up to the RD1 hype (or 5th year option hype) . 

Archived