The Good, the Bad, the 0-2 team vs the Broncos

RaidersAreOne

I’ll eat crow... Kolton Miller had been lights out, he’s like a better version of Jared Valdheer.. good pick... I was drinking at a bbq so my breakdown might now be as sharp 

good: 

- Carr - lights out 

- Lynch ran hard 

- Oline , Kolton looks like he belongs 

- Cooper was a stud 

- Roberts made a clutch play 

- Bryant back and making plays 

- Run Defense was good besides a few breakdowns 

- Melvin and Conely a good cb tandem 

- Arden Key with pressures 

- Hankins looked solid 

- Marquel Lee a stud .. shedding blocks and flying around 

- nice to have Gruden and a good coaching staff 

cons: 

- Penn seem like he was always on the ground or his knees 

- need better pass rush 

- Townsend  dude sucks 

- safeties  too slow 

- Bruce Irvin 

- went too conservative 

- Keith Smith drop turned the entire game 

No coincidence for me that the oldest team in the league has struggled in the 2nd half of both games. Broncos went to hurry up in the 2nd half and killed us. 

Funny that Gruden went very conservative in 2nd half after the Roberts TD which is exactly what Musgrave was criticised for whilst here. 

Carr and Cooper getting things rolling in the new offense is the most important take from this game. if that's what we can expect from them on a regular basis, we will win games and be in contention soon enough. We're going to need a new RB though. Lynch is impossible to take down on 1st contact but he can't run laterally anymore. We're limited in our running calls when he's in the game. Off tackle doesn't work with him.

I was really pleased with Carr and Cooper obviously.

I was pleased with the pass protection.

I was really pleased with the first half play calling and scheming.

I'm concerned about our run blocking to some extent. I think Martin is not worth the PT he gets.

I'm concerned with the old guys on the D, they get worn down too much. We need the Hurst, Hall, Key, Carradine, Hankins, Lee, Morrow, N.Nelson, Harris, Karl "group" to step forward in a big way.

I start to worry about the half time adjustments with the coaching staff...I mean because of the lack of it...this seems to be a Raider coach issue for quite some time now...hopefully Gruden and PG shake this off...

Good:

Coaching staff - Aside from getting conservative late (some of that is execution) the team looks well prepared

Carr - Nice rebound. Best he's looked against Denver

Cooper - 10 targets, 10 grabs. He's special, just get him the ball

Miller - Interested in seeing someone break his tape down. Didn't notice him once, which is a plus for him

First half defense - Looked discipled, were getting to the ball and shut Denver out

Bad:

Second half D - Without a pass rush, Keenum was comfortable and able to deal on them 

Rushing attack - looks old, slow and isn't being blocked well

Special Teams - Jordy returning punts? Seriously? Towsend leg is weak. Suppose to be a good directional kicker and booted it into the endzone for a net 29 yard punt with the game in the balance

Ugly:

Game killing plays:

Penn missed block on extra point (1 point)

Irvin unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when they forced a 4th down giving the go ahead TD (4 point swing)

Cook not getting set on a 2nd and 4 late

Smith drop on an excellent designed 4th down call

Definitely wanna see a breakdown of Miller's game. Didnt hear a peep from his side. Though I kinda felt that Von was across Penn most of the game.

Carr came out much more aggressive after the first quarter. Good bounceback game for him.

Team is in trouble if they think Irvin is gonna be a leader on defense.

The new signees on the DLine looked very stout in the first half. Still need edge rush.

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

Team is in trouble if they think Irvin is gonna be a leader on defense.

When they go over the game film, Irvin will have a lot of explaining to do. There's a clip showing him uninterested to give any kind of effort to rush on Denver's game winning drive. I understand it's the 4th quarter in mile high early in the season but the dude didn't even try.

51 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

When they go over the game film, Irvin will have a lot of explaining to do. There's a clip showing him uninterested to give any kind of effort to rush on Denver's game winning drive. I understand it's the 4th quarter in mile high early in the season but the dude didn't even try.

He was gassed. The entire defense was gassed. It was a "lazy uninterested" thing. He simply was done. The Raiders have zero depth for pass rushers. They have a real problem there. Key should be the 3rd option and has been elevated for obvious reasons. They have no 3rd option. Edge rushers are priority 1 this offseason. 

Archived