Stock Up, Stock Down Weeks 1&2

ChaRisMa

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Gute's stock is down.  My biggest fear was we'd continue being that team that sees obvious weaknesses without addressing them during the season.  

I don't know what the reason is, but I don't like it.  This team could be a Super Bowl team if we added a pass rusher.  If we were willing to give up two firsts for Mack, why aren't we willing to give up less for somebody else?  

Gotta think somebody would send their 3rd pass rusher to us for a second round pick or lower, and we definitely need one.  Especially if any of ours get hurt, God forbid.

Because ya boy the Golden Wonder is a savior and still has a lot left in the tank. 

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Gute's stock is down.  My biggest fear was we'd continue being that team that sees obvious weaknesses without addressing them during the season.  

I don't know what the reason is, but I don't like it.  This team could be a Super Bowl team if we added a pass rusher.  If we were willing to give up two firsts for Mack, why aren't we willing to give up less for somebody else?  

Gotta think somebody would send their 3rd pass rusher to us for a second round pick or lower, and we definitely need one.  Especially if any of ours get hurt, God forbid.

Without a doubt, 52 and 53 need to start playing better.  

The fact that Matthews is playing snaps at OLB,  SAM and ILB while Gilbert is playing OLB and getting snaps at the 3T on pass rushing downs is insane.

Carrying 4 ILBers is too many, much less 5.  Same with the 9th OL.  This team desperately needs depth at EDGE.

Nagler said it best - you can't be taken seriously if 51 is playing meaningful snaps on the most important series of the game.  

48 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Need to start looking at teams that are 0-2 and see what they have for EDGE players.  Ray in Denver, they are 2-0.  Fowler in JAX, they are 2-0.  Teams that are in for a potential playoff run will likely keep players that could be contributors to said playoff run.  

1 hour ago, Cheech said:

Without a doubt, 52 and 53 need to start playing better.  

Would be nice if they started playing up to their contracts.

Khalil Mack (2018-2024) OLB CHI 27 6 $141,000,000 $23,500,000 $60,000,000 $90,000,000 63.83% 2025
Von Miller (2016-2021) OLB DEN 29 6 $114,100,000 $19,016,667 $42,000,000 $70,000,000 61.35% 2022
Justin Houston (2015-2020) OLB KC 29 6 $101,000,000 $16,833,333 $32,500,000 $52,500,000 51.98% 2021
Olivier Vernon (2016-2020) OLB NYG 27 5 $85,000,000 $17,000,000 $40,500,000 $52,500,000 61.76% 2021
Clay Matthews (2013-2018) OLB GB 32 5 $66,000,000 $13,200,000 $20,500,000 $20,500,000 31.06% 2019
Melvin Ingram (2017-2020) OLB LAC 29 4 $64,000,000 $16,000,000 $34,000,000 $34,000,000 53.13% 2021
Nick Perry (2017-2021) OLB GB 28 5 $59,000,000 $11,800,000 $18,500,000 $18,500,000 31.36% 2022

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I wonder if Gute wrote up a decent contract offer for Fuller so CHI would be less likely to draft Jaire ?

From PackersNews

"Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is getting a lot of rest for his outside linebackers. One of his primary defenses is deploying three defensive linemen and only one outside linebacker on his defensive front. That means there are plenty of snaps where only one from among Clay Matthews, Nick Perry and Reggie Gilbert is on the field.
True, Pettine also often does the reverse on obvious passing downs — three outside linebackers and one lineman — so all three outside backers get snaps then. But the days of having two outside linebackers on the field every down appear to be long gone, which could help keep Perry and Matthews fresher and healthier late in games and by season’s end. We’ll see if that makes a difference "

So Gute has had less than 1 year to get his team together. You can't address everything. Not to mention Pettine's defense has always thrived with less than top notch OLBers. 

I'm not going to start trashing the guy yet. He's first 2 picks are looking pretty good so far. 

14 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From PackersNews

"Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is getting a lot of rest for his outside linebackers. One of his primary defenses is deploying three defensive linemen and only one outside linebacker on his defensive front. That means there are plenty of snaps where only one from among Clay Matthews, Nick Perry and Reggie Gilbert is on the field.
True, Pettine also often does the reverse on obvious passing downs — three outside linebackers and one lineman — so all three outside backers get snaps then. But the days of having two outside linebackers on the field every down appear to be long gone, which could help keep Perry and Matthews fresher and healthier late in games and by season’s end. We’ll see if that makes a difference "

Interesting. I wonder if that look includes lining Wilk up on the edge? Saw it a few times against the vikes

12 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Can anybody with a PFF account fill me in on his grades/stats? His stock is way up in my book but my friends say he is trash lol. 

Big Mo (if that's who you are talking about here) is our 7th best graded defender this year. 

Haha - 82.3

Whitehead - 76.4

Blake - 75.3

Jaire - 73.7

Muhammad - 73.0

The obvious issue is Perry (51.9) & Clay (44.8) who are the two highest paid players on the defense. Keep in mind 65 is the grade for a league average player so they are playing well below replacement level. Hopefully Perry is just knocking off the rust of missing all of training camp. Clay did play better this week so maybe there is some hope.

2 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Big Mo (if that's who you are talking about here) is our 7th best graded defender this year. 

Haha - 82.3

Whitehead - 76.4

Blake - 75.3

Jaire - 73.7

Muhammad - 73.0

The obvious issue is Perry (51.9) & Clay (44.8) who are the two highest paid players on the defense. Keep in mind 65 is the grade for a league average player so they are playing well below replacement level. Hopefully Perry is just knocking off the rust of missing all of training camp. Clay did play better this week so maybe there is some hope.

Glad to see Jaire so high already. 

I actually meant to write King in my op, but must have had a typo that got auto corrected to his lol.

Appreciate this response though - I was also interested in Mo's performance this far. I saw him lined up on the edge a few times - apparently this is how he was used by Pettine in New York. Hopefully he can get going with some sacks

4 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

I actually meant to write King in my op, but must have had a typo that got auto corrected to his lol.

Appreciate this response though - I was also interested in Mo's performance this far. I saw him lined up on the edge a few times - apparently this is how he was used by Pettine in New York. Hopefully he can get going with some sacks

Gotcha - For some reason PFF has always hated King. They had him in the 40s last year, this year they have him at a 56.3. I take their DB stuff with a grain of salt. I use PFF for the raw data and DFS purposes. 

4 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

4 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

Haha - 82.3

Whitehead - 76.4

Blake - 75.3

Jaire - 73.7

Muhammad - 73.0

If I am reading this right, HaHa is the top ranked player on Defense, correct?  If so, then why is the love not there?

1 minute ago, jleisher said:

If I am reading this right, HaHa is the top ranked player on Defense, correct?  If so, then why is the love not there?

I was only referencing my petty argument with some friends about Kevin King. But I have always been a fan of HaHa, even last season. He is not a player we can afford to lose right now despite some fans calling for his head.

Archived