Week 3 GDT - Green Bay (1-0-1) @ Washington (1-1)

Leader

No cheesemelts on Sunday:

Mike McCarthy is doing his best to make sure the Packers will physically be ready for another potential down-to-the-wire game in warm weather on Sunday.

McCarthy shifted the team’s usual Wednesday practice to a walk-through, after seeing the Packers open on a Sunday night and then follow it up by playing a full overtime last Sunday against Minnesota. Green Bay’s Week 3 matchup is the first road game of the regular season, at Washington, where temperatures could remain high this weekend.

Looking for a Davante “rebound”. He did have his sideline catch taken away from him last game but he missed on some other opportunities. Get him the ball quick and let his shiftiness do the rest. Really want to see him get the drop % under control this year. 

23 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I mean they played three quarters against Minny of basically lights out defense. Gave up 7 points. I think they've bought in. They just **** the bed in the 4th with 22 points, which was helped by the refs no doubt. The play that hurt the most was obviously the 75-yarder to Diggs. In that situation, up 2 scores, about 7 minutes left, it is unforgivable to give up that play. You have to at least make them go 10 plays and use up some time if you're giving up the TD there. A 75-yard, 17 second drive for a TD turned the entire tide of the game and that simply can't happen. 

I understand your angst, but one must remember how young we are in the secondary.....Had Brice looked back with the Thielen TD,  we might not be having this conversation....

This and we should remember how many opportunity we had to put this game away....

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

These next two weeks are the best weeks all year for him to miss. Washington has 3 Davon House talent level WRs. Just don't match him up with Richardson and you're fine.

I think I'd rather have crowder than Cobb until you remember how much crowder fumbles.  But crowder is a nice piece

Will be interesting to see if Matthews continues to be a target by the refs.  I’m hoping last week’s call was just an anomaly by an overzealousTony Corrente.  If Matthews continues to draw too much attention by the refs over the next couple of weeks, he could become a liability on crucial plays.  We need him on the field in these situations.

11 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Will be interesting to see if Matthews continues to be a target by the refs.  I’m hoping last week’s call was just an anomaly by an overzealousTony Corrente.  If Matthews continues to draw too much attention by the refs over the next couple of weeks, he could become a liability on crucial plays.  We need him on the field in these situations.

Think James Harrison.

2 very different career paths for these QBs, they've both faced some adversity in their careers. Rodgers with the draft drop followed by 3 years of Favre-Fest. And Alex Smith has seen a carousel of coaches and OC's and is now on his 3rd NFL team

From McGinn:

"For several years, Rodgers found motivation in the fact San Francisco bypassed him for Smith. These days, though, Rodgers and Smith — both in the later stages of their careers — have become close friends.

“He’s a great guy,” Rodgers said of Smith. “We’ve developed a friendship over the years and I’ve always enjoyed watching his career and his success. What he had to deal with early on with not a great supporting cast around him, a number of moving pieces and coaching staff, offensive coordinator stuff, I think is phenomenal.

“Him and I are in our 14th season. He’s been to a few more teams than me, but he’s put up numbers everywhere he’s went, he’s handled it with incredible class, I think, along the way – some tough situations, and some weird situations, and I’m just really proud of him as a friend as a fellow 2005 draftee.”

Rodgers is 2-1 lifetime against Smith

From The Dope Sheet

Including the postseason, it is the third game between the two in the last four seasons, with all three taking place at Washington.
The Packers have won five of the last seven regular-season contests between the two clubs.

Green Bay is 18-14-1 (.563) against Washington during the regular season.

While the Redskins have won the past two regular-season home games against the Packers, Green Bay won the 2015 NFC Wild Card contest at Washington, 35-18. Including the postseason, the Packers and Redskins have combined for 50-plus points in each of the last three matchups, with the winning team scoring 35-plus points.

It is the fifth time Green Bay and Washington have played in the month of September (1933, 1950, 2001, 2013), but this will be the first time the Packers are the road team. Green Bay holds a 3-0-1 record in September against Washington.

Including the postseason, the Packers are 2-2 against the Redskins with Aaron Rodgers as the starting quarterback. He has thrown a total of 10 TDs and one interception against Washington while finishing with a passer rating above 90.0 three times (146.0, 115.0, 93.5).

Green Bay is opening the season with three NFC opponents for the first time since 2012.

If the Packers win on Sunday, they will open up without a loss through the first three games of the season for the 22nd time since 1919 and just the eighth time since 1970. Out of the previous 21 times, Green Bay held a record of 2-0-1 after three games just four times (1967, 1943, 1932, 1920).

More from The DOPE SHEET
SEPTEMBER STARTS

Under Head Coach Mike McCarthy, Green Bay has been one of the most successful teams in the league early in the season.
 The Packers are 11-0-1 in their last 12 games at Lambeau Field in the month of September. In those 12 games, QB Aaron Rodgers has
recorded a 100-plus passer rating nine times while throwing for three plus touchdowns eight times.

Overall, Green Bay has a 9-2-1 record in its last 12 games in the month of September.
The Packers opened the 2016 season with a 27-23 victory at Jacksonville. It was Green Bay’s 55th win in a road opener, further extending the top
mark in NFL history. Green Bay concluded its 2016 September schedule with a 2-1 record.

Last season, the Packers went 3-1 in the season’s opening month.
In 2015, Green Bay went 3-0 in September, marking the third time under McCarthy that the Packers finished the month undefeated (4-0 in 2007
and 3-0 in 2011).

Since McCarthy took over in 2006, the Packers have a 28-14-1 (.667) mark in the month of September, ranking in the top five of the NFL in
both wins and winning percentage

( I know some here have lamented slow starts from MM and the Packers, but the data don't back up that assertion)

Archived