Eagles release veteran RB Ryan Mathews

RaidersAreOne

I assume that the Eagles planned to release him prior to today but let him take the physical first to show other teams he is healthy, which is a classy move by that org.

He still has some talent, but its sad that injuries and inconsistent play hemmed his growth. He had some monster games in SD.

7 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I assume that the Eagles planned to release him prior to today but let him take the physical first to show other teams he is healthy, which is a classy move by that org.

He still has some talent, but its sad that injuries and inconsistent play hemmed his growth. He had some monster games in SD.

If I'm not mistaken they had to wait until he was healthy before they could release him.

He's definitely still got the talent, but man, he just can't stay healthy and he had some issues holding onto the football at times.  That neck injury is certainly scary as well because he plays such a physical style. Anyway, wish him the best he seems like a good dude and when he's healthy he's fun to watch.

3 minutes ago, Voraroux said:

If I'm not mistaken they had to wait until he was healthy before they could release him.

Saints sometimes release guys hurt with an injury settlement. Although that always seems like it's camp bodies that nobody's heard of 

Tough time to be an Eagles player named Matthews. 

I'm not sure that anyone takes a chance on him immediately without some sort of injury taking place. Maybe he goes back to the Chargers? I wasn't super impressed with Farrow last year in his replacement duty, and Gordon does have some durability concerns as well. 

Besides for the name value I don't think there should be any interest here.

From my understanding that neck injury is probably a career ender and it would be very questionable for him to suit up as he would be putting himself at risk for further, and more significant, injury.

Archived