Eagles release veteran RB Ryan Mathews

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

From my understanding that neck injury is probably a career ender and it would be very questionable for him to suit up as he would be putting himself at risk for further, and more significant, injury

If it was - then how'd he pass the physical with the Eagles?

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

Could see the Vikings or Dolphins reaching out

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Eh? Dolphins have a very deep and inexpensive RB room.

Yeah idk what this guy is thinking.  Both of those teams are set at RB.  The Vikings have Dalvin Cook, Latavius Murray, Jerrick McKinnon, and CJ Ham (FB/RB) all set to make the roster.  There's no room for Mathews.

10 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Yeah idk what this guy is thinking.  Both of those teams are set at RB.  The Vikings have Dalvin Cook, Latavius Murray, Jerrick McKinnon, and CJ Ham (FB/RB) all set to make the roster.  There's no room for Mathews.

Last I heard Murray was on PUP and Cook was struggling in TC. But maybe I heard wrong. 

Dolphins have had some injuries at RB as well

3 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Last I heard Murray was on PUP and Cook was struggling in TC. But maybe I heard wrong. 

Oh ok.  Cook has actually been tearing up training camp and Murray was taken off the PUP about a week ago so even with the loss of Bishop Sankey the Vikings are set at the RB position now.

36 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

Man I remember getting blasted here when I said this guy is just an average RB. He really was never that good. 

Well, he is pretty good, if he could ever survive a full season he'd be a regular 1k yard rusher.  He can also do a lot of things out of the backfield effectively and he is seldom tackled by the first guy.  His time with the Eagles was disappointing but he averaged over 5 YPC in Chip's offense and had a down year this past season but still averaged 4.3 YPC.  Health and fumbles are his two issues, but when he's healthy he's certainly a pretty talented back.

56 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Ajayi suffered a concussion and as of today is out of the protocal. Their backup suffered one today also, but paying good money for an established vet is not the right response.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'll go "Colts" for $2000, Alex.

I think they're pretty comfortable with their group (for this year).  Gore is the workhorse, Turbin is the short yardage guy, and Mack is the change of pace + developmental guy. 

It makes sense on the surface since it's not an overly talented group, but I don't know where the touches would come from.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:
2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

From my understanding that neck injury is probably a career ender and it would be very questionable for him to suit up as he would be putting himself at risk for further, and more significant, injury

If it was - then how'd he pass the physical with the Eagles?

Being able to pass a physical and being able to avoid further and more serious injuries are not mutually dependent things. He can do one and not the other.

4 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'd add Broncos to the list...

Could sign him. I've been following the Broncos' HB situation pretty close though, and they've got four backs they like a lot, and a fullback. None of their half backs are great (though I'm a big Anderson fan), but they're all serviceable. Their rookie, Henderson, is also exciting.

I've seen Vikings mentioned, my team, and I would like it. He's a strong back and we could use that. Only problem is that there's zero chance. We have three very serviceable backs, one being a second round rookie. There's no space for him, unfortunately.

Archived