Redskins bringing in Breshad Perriman

turtle28

I (sarcastically) like that some of our fan base is blaming our WR corps for some of this.

We failed to re-sign (multiple times) a competent, growing QB that broke numerous franchise passing records with a dumpster fire of an offense... both talent and the slew of injuries.

Instead we bring in Alex Smith, the ultimate dinker and dunker... the guy who went a full season without throwing a TD pass to a receiver. 

The HC went crazy... said they upgraded... he's a leader... he's poised... he commands the offense... he'll take deep shots.

The anti-Kirk fanbase agreed. Even read some Kirk-who comments last week.

And now some are blaming our WR corps?

We got what we paid for at QB.

And Reid loves selling off his dirty laundry to the Skins.

Opposing defenses will learn from this game. Stack the box... soft zone... dare Smith to beat them deep.

6-10.

22 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I (sarcastically) like that some of our fan base is blaming our WR corps for some of this.

We failed to re-sign (multiple times) a competent, growing QB that broke numerous franchise passing records with a dumpster fire of an offense... both talent and the slew of injuries.

Instead we bring in Alex Smith, the ultimate dinker and dunker... the guy who went a full season without throwing a TD pass to a receiver. 

The HC went crazy... said they upgraded... he's a leader... he's poised... he commands the offense... he'll take deep shots.

The anti-Kirk fanbase agreed. Even read some Kirk-who comments last week.

And now some are blaming our WR corps?

We got what we paid for at QB.

And Reid loves selling off his dirty laundry to the Skins.

Opposing defenses will learn from this game. Stack the box... soft zone... dare Smith to beat them deep.

6-10.

The front office also didn’t want to re-sign one of the two 1,000 WRs and then didn’t want to re-sign Cousins because the passing game wasn’t as good, well... I mean hello!

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The front office also didn’t want to re-sign one of the two 1,000 WRs and then didn’t want to re-sign Cousins because the passing game wasn’t as good, well... I mean hello!

I'm a big Kirk fan. Shyt, my youngest son still has a Cousins fathead on his burgundy and gold wall... yeah time to redecorate.

But I also didn't like him at his eventual asking price. The Skins screwed up when they didn't get him on the cheap. They kept telling him to prove it, he would, then they would tell him to prove it again. He'd clear the hurdles each time. The expectation, from the Skins, was that his market value would stay the same or marginally increase. But Kirk got pissed, wouldn't take a discount, and asked them for market value. The traded him instead, all the while downgrading at QB.

Kirk is in a better situation. The Skins, most likely are not. The only way they right the ship is spending their savings competently.

Admittedly, I learned to appreciate DJAX when he was gone. The ability to create space is undervalued. You need a QB and a WR that can, and are willing to, go deep. Not sure we have that with Smith. He makes it easy on opposing defenses. I don't see him making us competitive in high scoring games or in games where we're behind and need a comeback. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Is anyone aside from Josh Doctson really getting blamed much?

Crowder is fine. Richardson has seemed pretty much fine. He made some good plays yesterday and likely would have had at least a 40 yard catch (maybe a 70 yard TD) against ARI had Taylor not held him. Drew a couple penalties against them, so he’s been fairly productive overall. He also seems to be a fairly willing blocker at least.

Doctson was one of the worst full-time WRs in football last year. 78 targets and all he managed was 35 catches and 502 yards? That’s really poor. Michael Floyd put up an almost identical season in the midst of the alcoholism-fueled collapse of his life. And Doctson did that with the quality QB whose image still adorns many Redskins’ fans bedsheets, so he didn’t even have poor QB play as an excuse. 

I hoped he would take a step forward this season — although I didn’t really expect it, and mentioned several times that I kinda wanted to trade him, because he doesn’t really fit what we’re doing on offense. But I haven’t seen anything to make me believe he’s made strides from where he was last year, in terms of his ability to get open quickly or to threaten defenses over the top or with after-the-catch danger or even to finish the easy catches (let alone the difficult ones that they keep force-feeding him). Have you seen anything that leads you to believe differently?

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I'm a big Kirk fan. Shyt, my youngest son still has a Cousins fathead on his burgundy and gold wall... yeah time to redecorate.

But I also didn't like him at his eventual asking price. The Skins screwed up when they didn't get him on the cheap. They kept telling him to prove it, he would, then they would tell him to prove it again. He'd clear the hurdles each time. The expectation, from the Skins, was that his market value would stay the same or marginally increase. But Kirk got pissed, wouldn't take a discount, and asked them for market value. The traded him instead, all the while downgrading at QB.

Kirk is in a better situation. The Skins, most likely are not. The only way they right the ship is spending their savings competently.

Admittedly, I learned to appreciate DJAX when he was gone. The ability to create space is undervalued. You need a QB and a WR that can, and are willing to, go deep. Not sure we have that with Smith. He makes it easy on opposing defenses. I don't see him making us competitive in high scoring games or in games where we're behind and need a comeback. I hope I'm wrong.

100% agree on Kirk.

I’m not sure we have a definitive answer on Smith. He’s had an elite downfield threat once in his career -Tyreke Hill - and we saw what happened. I think PRich can be a good downfield threat, but probably not elite. I’d like to see Gruden call more deep shots to him and Doc, but keep in mind the Colts took that away with the coverage they played.

I remember Alex burning us with his arm and legs in the second half of our game in Kansas City last year. Can he do that consistently? I’m not sure, but we’ll find out.

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Is anyone aside from Josh Doctson really getting blamed much?

Crowder is fine. Richardson has seemed pretty much fine. He made some good plays yesterday and likely would have had at least a 40 yard catch (maybe a 70 yard TD) against ARI had Taylor not held him. Drew a couple penalties against them, so he’s been fairly productive overall. He also seems to be a fairly willing blocker at least.

Doctson was one of the worst full-time WRs in football last year. 78 targets and all he managed was 35 catches and 502 yards? That’s really poor. Michael Floyd put up an almost identical season in the midst of the alcoholism-fueled collapse of his life. And Doctson did that with the quality QB whose image still adorns many Redskins’ fans bedsheets, so he didn’t even have poor QB play as an excuse. 

I hoped he would take a step forward this season — although I didn’t really expect it, and mentioned several times that I kinda wanted to trade him, because he doesn’t really fit what we’re doing on offense. But I haven’t seen anything to make me believe he’s made strides from where he was last year, in terms of his ability to get open quickly or to threaten defenses over the top or with after-the-catch danger or even to finish the easy catches (let alone the difficult ones that they keep force-feeding him). Have you seen anything that leads you to believe differently?

Mic drop. Truthfully, I have to wonder if Jay will want to draft a WR in round 1 or 2 next year and we’ll decline Doctson’s 5th year option if he doesn’t pick it up the last 14 games.

Walterfootall already has the WR from Ole Miss mocked to us in round 1 of the draft. I mean I’ve said it before, but at this point I can see Maurice Harris giving us more production than Doctson has so far bc while Doctson gets himself in position to make acrobatic catches, he drops them while Mo catches them.

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Mic drop. Truthfully, I have to wonder if Jay will want to draft a WR in round 1 or 2 next year and we’ll decline Doctson’s 5th year option if he doesn’t pick it up the last 14 games.

Walterfootall already has the WR from Ole Miss mocked to us in round 1 of the draft. I mean I’ve said it before, but at this point I can see Maurice Harris giving us more production than Doctson has so far bc while Doctson gets himself in position to make acrobatic catches, he drops them while Mo catches them.

What is with your Maurice Harris infatuation? The guy has 12 catches in three seasons. Twelve! He’s a jag, practice squad type that does absolutely nothing and you are acting like all is well once Maurice “Randy Moss” Harris gets healthy. He made one crazy catch and everybody freaked out and he’s literally done nothing since. He’ll be on a different team next year doing absolutely nothing there as well. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What is with your Maurice Harris infatuation? The guy has 12 catches in three seasons. Twelve! He’s a jag, practice squad type that does absolutely nothing and you are acting like all is well once Maurice “Randy Moss” Harris gets healthy. He made one crazy catch and everybody freaked out and he’s literally done nothing since. He’ll be on a different team next year doing absolutely nothing there as well. 

He makes though catches. How many targets does he have? 20 maybe? Why should we believe that a Doctson can turn it around?

At some point we’re going to have to try something different if Doctson is going to continue to be 40/60.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He makes the catches though. How many targets does he have? 20 maybe? Why should we believe that a Doctson can turn it around?

At some point we’re going to have to move on.

Then cut Doctson. Frankly I don’t care anymore. I wanted Will Fuller anyway and McClughan, whom I’m still a huge fan of, botched it. But for the love of god stop acting like Harris is any good. Not re-signing Jackson was almost as bad as not recouping anything for Cousins. This is the worst front office in football. 

You want to know when your front office is stupid? When they decide they need an explosive up and down the field offense so they trade for a guy who’s terrified to throw the ball to receivers. 

40 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Then cut Doctson. Frankly I don’t care anymore. I wanted Will Fuller anyway and McClughan, whom I’m still a huge fan of, botched it. But for the love of god stop acting like Harris is any good. Not re-signing Jackson was almost as bad as not recouping anything for Cousins. This is the worst front office in football. 

You want to know when your front office is stupid? When they decide they need an explosive up and down the field offense so they trade for a guy who’s terrified to throw the ball to receivers. 

I don’t want them to cut Doctson, I didn’t say that, but if he isn’t getting the job done and he’s dropping catchable balls, you have to put someone in there who will at least catch a 10-yard crossing route or in route like Grant used to which, Mo Harris has shown he can do and he’s shown he can make acrobatic catches downfield too. 

Benching Doctson would be more of a message, but I’m not for cutting him.

I agree with your point of wanting a different WR than we drafted, I frankly didn’t want any of the Wrs, I wanted a run stuffer like Kenny Clark or Jarran Reed. I 100% agree with wanting to keep Djax, I was on that train from the beginning, you just can’t replace that kind of talent easily.

You keep saying Smith is terrified to go downfield but he did so last year and you’re saying so w/o knowing if deep shots are actually being called or if they’re open or covered by the DBs. If they’re playing two deep safeties, you’re very unlikely to get s deep passing game going.

Archived