Redskins bringing in Breshad Perriman

turtle28

The Lance Zierlein evaluation of Perriman is the most precise he has ever made. Unfortunately for Perriman, we saw his weaknesses 80 % of the time and his strengths 20 % of the time.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/breshad-perriman?id=2552597

When you then add the fact, that his confidence in himself completely dropped and he has difficulties staying healthy, he just didn't brought enough to the table to keep around with the Ravens.

Perriman however might just benefit a lot from a change of scenery, he is a worker and apparently the Ravens really liked him as a person. This could be a valuable signing for you guys down the road - a little bit like Darrius Heyward-Bey did with the Steelers.

32 minutes ago, Danand said:

The Lance Zierlein evaluation of Perriman is the most precise he has ever made. Unfortunately for Perriman, we saw his weaknesses 80 % of the time and his strengths 20 % of the time.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/breshad-perriman?id=2552597

When you then add the fact, that his confidence in himself completely dropped and he has difficulties staying healthy, he just didn't brought enough to the table to keep around with the Ravens.

Perriman however might just benefit a lot from a change of scenery, he is a worker and apparently the Ravens really liked him as a person. This could be a valuable signing for you guys down the road - a little bit like Darrius Heyward-Bey did with the Steelers.

I think there’s a lot of truth to that, Perriman has talent, it just didn’t work out in Baltimore for him and some of that had to do with injuries but he did seem to have issues with drops. Hopefully that improves in DC, at worst he’s our #4 or 5 WR, unlike the Ravens we don’t have to pay him on his rookie deal anymore.

44 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think there’s a lot of truth to that, Perriman has talent, it just didn’t work out in Baltimore for him and some of that had to do with injuries but he did seem to have issues with drops. Hopefully that improves in DC, at worst he’s our #4 or 5 WR, unlike the Ravens we don’t have to pay him on his rookie deal anymore.

I hope he still has that 4.25 speed. That's insane !

16 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And yet, Jay said we'd be throwing more 50/50 balls. 

In 2015, Kirk was starting his first full season. In 2016 and 2017, he actually did attempt downfield.

And attempts? Go look at the play-by-play on nfl.com

I have a threshold of 20yds being a "deep" pass. The NFL classifies anything over 15 yards as "deep".

Going by my threshold, Alex had one that was not YAC inflated. He had two others that were between 15-20 yards

Meanwhile, Kirk in his game had 5 over 20 yards and one in between 15-20yds.

And those were just the completions. Now, take a look at the attempts and you'll see Kirk attempting deep more as well.

My point remains. When you need multiple scores, I want the QB that is going to take the shots. If its INT I will be mad, sure. But I'd rather take that chance, than a certain defeat like we had yesterday.

Good post. 

On 9/17/2018 at 8:51 PM, turtle28 said:

The way Gruden spoke of Maurice Harris today, it wasn’t sounding good. To me, him and Floyd seem like Doctson insurance just in case Doctson doesn’t improve. I want Doctson to be the guy so bad for this offense but he just hasn’t been reliable for our last QB or our current QB. My feeling is that if he doesn’t improve, one of these two - probably Floyd - or Quick could replace him in the line up soon.

Stupid insurance then. How long is it going to be for them to get up to speed with the playbook? When are they going to get timing reps with Smith? If we're lucky, they'll be able to contribute a few snaps this week and then maybe more in week 5 and 6 after the bye.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Stupid insurance then. How long is it going to be for them to get up to speed with the playbook? When are they going to get timing reps with Smith? If we're lucky, they'll be able to contribute a few snaps this week and then maybe more in week 5 and 6 after the bye.

Agreed, this guy Perriman was public enemy #1 in Baltimore due to his drops.  They were a huge concern coming out of college, and he's flat-out not improved.  The Ravens were desperate for receiver help, and went for the combine warrior, which was a big mistake.....and also Ozzie Newsome's achilles heel- he's not that good at evaluating wide receivers.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Agreed, this guy Perriman was public enemy #1 in Baltimore due to his drops.  They were a huge concern coming out of college, and he's flat-out not improved.  The Ravens were desperate for receiver help, and went for the combine warrior, which was a big mistake.....and also Ozzie Newsome's achilles heel- he's not that good at evaluating wide receivers.  

Then he’ll fit right in with Doctson.

6 hours ago, Woz said:

Yay?

Again - why bring in the guy who cannot catch as insurance in case the guy who looks like he cannot catch cannot catch?

Obviously they’re hopefully they can develop him where the Ravens couldn’t. Another guess is that Ike Hilliard may know him because they’re both Florida guys. If it works out then good, if not, no harm. Personally I like the two guys we have on our practice squad Cobbs and Kirksy and wish one of them two was called up instead of us signing Perriman.

I’m a bit confused by the Floyd signing also. We have Brian Quick as our veteran - of course Floyd is a better wr when healthy  and out of trouble - but I don’t remember him being a factor on special teams ever, he wasn’t/isn’t Golden Tate at Norte Dame or in the pros. I understand wanting a vet Wr if one of our top 3 was out but not to replace a young special teams guy like Sims and Chesson.

Just now, turtle28 said:

If it works out then good, if not, no harm.

Eh, it's not free from harm. It gives reps and time to a guy who is very unlikely to put it all together in a short period of time.

It's a low risk, low upside move. That's not what you want from an insurance play.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Personally I like the two guys we have on our practice squad Cobbs and Kirksy and wish one of them two was called up instead of us signing Perriman.

That would have made a bit more sense.

Archived