Wideouts: Panic or Perseverance - What to do? [Update: Jordan Matthews Returns]

Kiltman

So I don't know about you guys, but the first time Perkins caught it yesterday I thought...who the hell is that?

Between all the bodies we have thrown out there the first two weeks...only Nelson showed any real talent.
Even Mike Wallace was a ghost for the most part, though I think he will start to click eventually. But now he looks to be out..perhaps all season

Alshon might be back this week or next, but will that be enough?

So what do we do?

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/9/17/17869596/wide-receivers-philadelphia-eagles-josh-gordon-trade-jeremy-maclin-dez-bryant-mike-wallace-injury

TRADE

JOSH GORDON - I already wrote a bunch of words on the cases both for and against pursuing Gordon. Since I wrote that post, however, the Eagles’ receiver outlook got even worse. Flash makes a lot of sense for what the Eagles need in the field-stretching department right now. I still think Gordon is unreliable, and the price to acquire him needs to account for that, but it could be worth a shot. Unfortunately his hamstring injury adds another layer of uncertainty to the situation. (Hey, remember when the Eagles reportedly turned down a Browns offer of Gordon for Nick Foles back in 2013?)

DEVANTE PARKER - Parker was a surprise scratch for the Dolphins’ Sunday game against the Jets. The 2015 first-round pick has been dealing with a broken finger but he said he felt he was healthy enough to play. Perhaps Adam Gase has soured on Parker not unlike he did with Jay Ajayi last year. Howie Roseman should call up Mike Tannenbaum to check up on the situation. Parker, 25, has 139 career receptions for 1,908 yards (13.7 average) and eight touchdowns.

FREE AGENTS

DEZ BRYANT - A number of fans have been clamoring for the former Cowboys receiver. I’d be pretty surprised if the Eagles sign him, though. There are a number of issues here. First, Bryant probably wants more money than the Eagles are willing to offer. Bryant reportedly turned down deals in the $6 million per year range earlier this offseason. Second, I don’t think the Eagles are eager to add Bryant to their locker room dynamic. Third, are we even sure Bryant is that good anymore? He averaged a career-low 12.1 yards per reception in 2017, though a timid Dak Prescott certainly wasn’t doing him favors in that regard. It is worth noting that the Eagles employ Bryant’s college position coach, Gunter Brewer. Ultimately, I think the Eagles don’t go with Dez.

JEREMY MACLIN - Here’s a familiar name. The Eagles’ 2009 first-round pick, now 30 years old, is still on the market. The problem is that he suffered a hamstring injury while working out earlier this month. Maybe he’s healthy by now. Although his production has sharply declined in recent years, I could see the Eagles have interest in Maclin. Philadelphia reportedly made an effort to sign him last offseason before he ultimately chose to go to the Ravens instead. Maclin obviously has familiarity with Doug Pederson’s offense, which is plus.

KENNY BRITT - There’s a connection to Philadelphia here given that Eagles offensive coordinator Mike Groh was Britt’s receiver coach when he had a career year with the Rams in 2016. It sounds like the Patriots have interest in re-signing Britt, though.

JORDAN MATTHEWS - I don’t see this one happening. It’s unclear if JMatt is even healthy after suffering a hamstring tear last month. Plus he’s just not the kind of player this team needs right now. They need someone with deep speed, not another possession receiver. But Carson Wentz does love JMatt.

KENDALL WRIGHT - Another slot receiver type. I don’t think that’s what the Eagles are looking for right now, unless they want to put Wright in the slot and move Agholor to the outside more often.

BRESHAD PERRIMAN - The Eagles worked out the 2015 first-round pick last week. They chose to sign Aiken instead. Perriman is reportedly working out for Washington on Monday.

SHANE WYNN - Another player the Eagles worked out last week. He’s pretty small at only 5-6, 166 pounds.

PRACTICE SQUAD

BRAXTON MILLER — The Eagles signed Miller, 24, to their practice squad last week. Miller has some NFL experience since he’s played in 21 career games. But with only 34 receptions and 261 yards to his name, I’m not really sure the 2016 third-round pick offers the Eagles much of an upgrade over what they have now. Miller has theoretical upside, which isn’t nothing, but I don’t think adding him to the roster really moves the needle for the Eagles.

Any other names or targets? It's not an amazing list as is

13 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

I would prefer Devante Parker but if we can get Gordon on the cheap why not. a 6th rounder is worth the  risk and rental untill jefferey is back, if he lasts longer thats awesome. 

I'd rather have Kevin White than Davante Parker.

17 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

I would take the better of Gordon or Dez.  A motivated Dez wanting to join a rival to get back his former team works as long as the locker room can keep his ego in check.  I mean TO was a comparable personality, if not worse.

This. The only reason not to, would be money. However at this point I'd think Dez is more motivated to get on the field as well. Can't make a team or sign a long term contract next off-season without playing this year. 

He doesn't add that deep threat we are missing without Wallace, Hollins, ect but he can win 50-50 ballas, concert 3rd downs and yes he a factor in the RZ. Only adding to Ertz, Alshon, Goedert, and Agholor.

It's the perfect fit for Dez with it being a NFCE team, potential SB Ring contender, why wouldn't he be on his P's and Q's? Obvious answer "because he's Dez Bryant" but I'd kick the smitt out of the tires anyways. At least bring him in for a workout?

Might have throw Gibson out there to keep teams honest. That is why he was drafted right?

Archived