Vikings waive Carlson, expected to sign Dan Bailey

RamRod

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't feel bad. He was pitiful at his job but gets to walk away a fairly wealthy man.

In fairness, he was cut for essentially one game, yeah? (unlike Gonzalez, Carlson didn't miss a kick last week) How many NFL players get cut their rookie season after one bad game, much less mid-round rookie? A little early to say he's definitely "pitiful" at his job. Moreover, it was my understanding that he was pretty good in camp and absolutely deserved the nod over Forbath.

Having said that, Bailey is a sure-fire upgrade.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I don't feel bad. He was pitiful at his job but gets to walk away a fairly wealthy man.

Not really, well I guess that depends on your definition of wealthy. He was only guaranteed $248,013.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/daniel-carlson-25268/

And using the general rule (and this is simply a guess...if anyone has a better understanding please let me know!) that athletes roughly take home half of their paychecks after taxes, agent fees, etc then he is by no means wealthy. Heck even if we assume he took home the full $248,013 that still wouldn't really be considered wealthy IMO. 

Why am I even making this argument?xD 100-200k is still a hell of a lot of money. Guess I'm just in an argumentative mood right now. 

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

In fairness, he was cut for essentially one game, yeah (unlike Gonzalez, Carlson didn't miss a kick last week)? How many NFL players get cut their rookie season after one bad game, much less mid-round rookie? A little early to say he's definitely "pitiful" at his job.

Having said that, Bailey is a sure-fire upgrade.

Kicker should be the job with the easiest transition to the pros from a technical standpoint. It's all mental. When your coach calls you out not to miss and you miss two in OT, it seems clear he can't handle the pressure. He's Blair Walsh all over again.

1 minute ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Not really, well I guess that depends on your definition of wealthy. He was only guaranteed $248,013.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/daniel-carlson-25268/

And using the general rule (and this is simply a guess...if anyone has a better understanding please let me know!) that athletes roughly take home half of their paychecks after taxes, agent fees, etc then he is by no means wealthy. Heck even if we assume he took home the full $248,013 that still wouldn't really be considered wealthy IMO. 

Why am I even making this argument?xD 100-200k is still a hell of a lot of money. Guess I'm just in an argumentative mood right now. 

I mean, how many 20 year olds are sitting on 100-200k cash or an equivalent.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Kicker should be the job with the easiest transition to the pros from a technical standpoint. It's all mental. When your coach calls you out not to miss and you miss two in OT, it seems clear he can't handle the pressure. He's Blair Walsh all over again.

Easy transition or not, every player has the occasional bad game. Especially so for rookies. He certainly wasn't bad in college and won the job versus Forbath handily, so this game seems to be more the exception than the rule for him.

Archived