Tyrod Taylor - Thus far a disappointment

CBrownsman

Who Was Tyrod actually throwing to?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Tyrod actually throwing to?

• Antonio Callaway
    • Jarvis Landry
    • The End-Zone hoping someone would catch it...

Truth: The running game is more of a disappointment than Tyrod has been 

And as far as the question, is this serious? He threw it exactly who he wanted to throw it to, in the exact spot. Look at the position of his body, is pointed towards CallawayI know he hasn't been a world-beater but this is silly.

39 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

And as far as the question, is this serious? He threw it exactly who he wanted to throw it to, in the exact spot. Look at the position of his body, is pointed towards CallawayI know he hasn't been a world-beater but this is silly.T

Two disparate thoughts:

1. He didn't have to wind up to do it. 

2. Kind of reminds me of when I make a good golf shot. I always hit the ball exactly where I want it go.

Again impatience is the rule of the day. He’s made some bad throws. He’s made slightly less good throws. But this is a new offense. And new offenses take time to implement. Remember our new defense last year? It wasn’t good right? Now?  Looking legit, early I know. 

Having said that he is what we thought he’d be. A mediocre qb that would be best served as a backup. He is what he is. I want to keep him in there until the oline gels and go to Mayfield. 

Who never taught him how to step up in the pocket? He did a little bit the last game and things happened, until he wasn’t accurate. 

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

Who never taught him how to step up in the pocket? He did a little bit the last game and things happened, until he wasn’t accurate. 

It seems to me, and correct me if I am wrong, but effective pocket passing and the ability to make effective yards by taking off seldom go hand in hand. Russell Wilson, and who else effectively work the pocket and take off well?

Rodgers isn't a running QB. 

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Still believe that's ok considering that he is better than what we have had for a while.

Sure. It's okay for right now. It's not okay for long term. He's basically like the crash dummy until this offense gels and they're able to allow Baker to play to his full potential.

From week one to week two, we saw improvement. As soon as things plateau for 2-3 weeks in a row, he gone.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

And as far as the question, is this serious? He threw it exactly who he wanted to throw it to, in the exact spot. Look at the position of his body, is pointed towards CallawayI know he hasn't been a world-beater but this is silly.

Can't argue with this. Duke and Chubb are not being used to their full potential and for the love of god do they know what a misdirection is? Are they saving it or something?

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Truth: The running game is more of a disappointment than Tyrod has been.

I won’t go as far as you, but you aren’t far off. We need more there. Our backs seem to work for every yard they get. Disappointing lack of push up front.

As to the appropriateness of the TD to AC, it depends on what you believe Tyrod was doing. If you believe he saw an open receiver and threw it to him, well, a QB should always be looking to do that. If you believe it was a chuck-it-up-and-pray play, then I agree, it was inappropriate given the circumstance (4th and 5.) While a QB should always be looking for the open guy, Hail Mary passes should be reserved for desperation. However, it is still infinitely better than the 4th and 5, 3 yard sideline routes we’ve seen for the past umpteen years. Like the old golf saying goes, you will miss 100% of the putts you leave short. 

1 hour ago, Trots said:

As to the appropriateness of the TD to AC, it depends on what you believe Tyrod was doing. If you believe he saw an open receiver and threw it to him, well, a QB should always be looking to do that. If you believe it was a chuck-it-up-and-pray play, then I agree, it was inappropriate given the circumstance (4th and 5.) While a QB should always be looking for the open guy, Hail Mary passes should be reserved for desperation. However, it is still infinitely better than the 4th and 5, 3 yard sideline routes we’ve seen for the past umpteen years. Like the old golf saying goes, you will miss 100% of the putts you leave short. 

Yes, perception is reality. If you (not you trots, you in general) think that was a hail mary, very little can convince you otherwise because the evidence supporting your beliefs will be overwhelmingly more present than those against it. It's like politics.

Personally, I think there's enough reason to believe it was indeed intended for Callaway. I always try to take a positive perspective, and knowing that Tyrod made a living on accuracy and conservative decisions, along with Callaway telling the O-line he was going to score tells me it was intentional, not an overthrow.

If you want to take the negative stance on Tyrod, and cannot accept that he actually made a nice throw, as he has done countless times in his career, more power to you, but it will only lead to more negativity that won't help the situation. That's the reality.

Don't blame him on the hail mary. That's dumb.

But yeah, he is what he is. He's not a very good QB. He's a tad below average and always has been. To call him bad is false, but he's closer to bad than he is good.

I'm all for bringing Baker Mayfield in whenever. He can't be any worse than Tyrod Taylor has been so far. I think he's ready for the bright lights. I think playing Baker makes us a better team, but Tyrod hasn't been atrocious enough to really warrant a benching. I mean...we should be 2-0 right now if our special teams wasn't such a joke.

I think the first stipulation for Baker to be considered for starter is “have the browns won a game yet?” If no, Baker needs to stay on the bench. I don’t want him worrying about trying to break the winless streak. He needs to just worry about playing and not about  that. If Tyrod can get a win or two, start baker a little later in the season 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I think the first stipulation for Baker to be considered for starter is “have the browns won a game yet?” If no, Baker needs to stay on the bench. I don’t want him worrying about trying to break the winless streak. He needs to just worry about playing and not about  that. If Tyrod can get a win or two, start baker a little later in the season 

In my opinion, wins and losses are just too basic of a measuring stick. If that were the case, Hue would have been canned already.

In reality, there are so many more factors that go into it. I think a more accurate means for this decision would be progress. We saw Tyrod improve to some degree from week one to week two. Will he keep improving? Will he continue to put this team in position to finish strong? If so, that holds Baker off. Tyrod's completion to Callaway, driving the team down the field and into field goal range to potentially tie the game, those are enough to keep Baker on the bench for this week. Now, if he costs us a game, or cannot put this team in position to win, then the organization has to start reconsidering.

As many continue to say, right now, Tyrod is doing just enough, and that's good enough to keep him as the starter.

14 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, we need to see more of a Chubb. He's easily looked better running the ball than Hyde has. Hopefully Chubb will get better at pass protection so he can start getting more playing time.

Archived