Tyrod Taylor - Thus far a disappointment

CBrownsman

Who Was Tyrod actually throwing to?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Tyrod actually throwing to?

• Antonio Callaway
    • Jarvis Landry
    • The End-Zone hoping someone would catch it...

17 hours ago, CleBrowns07 said:

Ill admit he hasn’t been what I expected, but dude you gotta be kidding me on the 4th and 5 TD. That was clutch as hell, perfect pass right on the money when we needed it the most. That in no way can be a negative, it just fits your narrrative that you dislike him and it could have been overthrown or incomplete. Thats a bad argument. 

Just because something worked doesn't make it a good idea.

On 4th and 5 with the game on the line you throw a very low percentage throw, its not a good idea.

Whether it was exactly where it was intended or not I honestly don't care, but I will argue to the death that it was a bad idea to do...

We still lost the game, so if you want to argue end results, yes we scored the touchdown, and whether we had made that extra point or not, New Orleans still had a chance to score.

I am thrilled that he caught the touchdown, I love that it was Callaway because I want him to gain confidence, and it was a perfectly placed ball intended or not.  All that being said when the ball was thrown I said outloud "what the f*** are you doing?!?!?!?!" because that throw in that situation is just not a good idea....

19 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s been two games, one of which was played in awful weather.

I’m not known for being the most patient person, but I’ll reserve judgement until at least week 3 or 4 on our new QB.

giphy.gif

I said at the beginning I'm not saying he should be replaced.  I actually loved the Tyrod move when we made it, and I am a fan of his.  It was just starting a conversation.  I hope he improves with this team as the season goes along.  And I REALLY hope he gives Mayfield time to sit on the bench and learn...

15 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Tyrod is who I expected him to be

I think this is the most accurate thing.  I had heard a ton from bills fans (I'm originally from upstate NY) about how I'll understand why they eventually benched him to see if Peterman could be better.  I don't think I will really ever understand for Peterman but people are already talking about benching him for Baker, which I disagree with.  I really hope Tyrod gets the year...

Just now, CBrownsman said:

Just because something worked doesn't make it a good idea.

On 4th and 5 with the game on the line you throw a very low percentage throw, its not a good idea.

Whether it was exactly where it was intended or not I honestly don't care, but I will argue to the death that it was a bad idea to do...

We still lost the game, so if you want to argue end results, yes we scored the touchdown, and whether we had made that extra point or not, New Orleans still had a chance to score.

I am thrilled that he caught the touchdown, I love that it was Callaway because I want him to gain confidence, and it was a perfectly placed ball intended or not.  All that being said when the ball was thrown I said outloud "what the f*** are you doing?!?!?!?!" because that throw in that situation is just not a good idea....

It was a great idea because the Saints expected us to do what you said we should have done and instead went over the top.  Tyrod blew their defense's collective mind.

You're acting like the chances of us dinking and dunking our way to a TD were better than hitting an open player in stride in the endzone.

This is not only petty, but dumb.

15 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Truth: The running game is more of a disappointment than Tyrod has been 

And as far as the question, is this serious? He threw it exactly who he wanted to throw it to, in the exact spot. Look at the position of his body, is pointed towards CallawayI know he hasn't been a world-beater but this is silly.

Its really not that unfair a question.  Again it worked perfectly so I'm not complaining I'm just asking because I think its an interesting question.  Callaway was running outside the numbers down the sideline and didn't start to break in towards the hash until the ball was thrown.  The corner was actually shading him on the inside.  Had he REALLY wanted to throw to a wide open Callaway I would assume he would have aimed for the corner of the end zone to let callaway run a straight line.  But the ball fell between the N and the T of "SAINTS" in the end zone.  Directly down the right hash.  Directly straight line of where Landry was running, and Landry had a linebacker on him where Callaway had a CB.  Was the play designed for Callaway to be faster to cut inside and for Landry to run to the same place?  If he just threw to where he saw Callaway open why didn't he aim more towards the corner of the endzone.  If you look at the position of his body and he threw it towards callaway why did callaway have to make the correction to inside the field to where Jarvis route was leading him?  Again just an interesting observation and question and not nearly as ridiculous is you are making it out to be...

10 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It was a great idea because the Saints expected us to do what you said we should have done and instead went over the top.  Tyrod blew their defense's collective mind.

You're acting like the chances of us dinking and dunking our way to a TD were better than hitting an open player in stride in the endzone.

I mean I understand the idea but with the game on the line when you need 5 yards I would prefer to not throw for 2 yards or throw for 40 yards, both have less of a chance of giving you the opportunity to keep fighting.  I feel like if it hadn't have worked you would understand but because it did everyone thinks it was brilliant.  Also Callaway wasn't that open, it really had to be a perfect pass.  Again great that it was, but you cant argue that its a low percentage pass as opposed to one that is safer.  Would I try that on 3rd down? sure!  but 4th down with the game on the line,  a higher percentage pass is the smarter play every day of the week.  This is more balzy sure, but that doesn't mean its the better move...

14 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Again impatience is the rule of the day. He’s made some bad throws. He’s made slightly less good throws. But this is a new offense. And new offenses take time to implement. Remember our new defense last year? It wasn’t good right? Now?  Looking legit, early I know. 

Having said that he is what we thought he’d be. A mediocre qb that would be best served as a backup. He is what he is. I want to keep him in there until the oline gels and go to Mayfield. 

Who never taught him how to step up in the pocket? He did a little bit the last game and things happened, until he wasn’t accurate. 

This is certianly a good point.  Its going to take some time for the offense to Gel especially with changing up the offensive line the day before the first game of the season.  And having to shake up the wide receiver core 2 weeks into the season.  Its a lot of changes to have to take on and game-plan around...

14 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Can't argue with this. Duke and Chubb are not being used to their full potential and for the love of god do they know what a misdirection is? Are they saving it or something?

This is definitely true.  Especially with Gordon gone we need to get Duke into the game more often.  I don't care if its him playing the slot with Hyde/Chubb out there blocking for the QB, he needs to be a bigger part of our offense because we get yards when the ball is in his hands.

I think the issue with chubb is he REALLY needs to work on his blocking.  I think thats the reason he hasn't seen as much time.  With the line the way it is we need to have the RB in there blocking for the QB until they improve and gel as a unit.

3 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Yes, perception is reality. If you (not you trots, you in general) think that was a hail mary, very little can convince you otherwise because the evidence supporting your beliefs will be overwhelmingly more present than those against it. It's like politics.

Personally, I think there's enough reason to believe it was indeed intended for Callaway. I always try to take a positive perspective, and knowing that Tyrod made a living on accuracy and conservative decisions, along with Callaway telling the O-line he was going to score tells me it was intentional, not an overthrow.

If you want to take the negative stance on Tyrod, and cannot accept that he actually made a nice throw, as he has done countless times in his career, more power to you, but it will only lead to more negativity that won't help the situation. That's the reality.

Personally I thought he was throwing to Landry because he had a LB on him and he thought he could beat him down the field.  That being said I don't think its negative to think that.  I mean yes would I like to believe it was a perfect pass thrown to a fairly well defended receiver who just lit it up to catch it and Tyrod knew exactly what he was doing.  BUT....if that's what I believe, I'm pretty upset he doesn't make more throws like that when its not 4th and 5 and the games on the line.  He dinks-and-dunks all game long and only makes the throws he cane make when we really need it?  I would like to believe if he could make those throws he would do it a hell of a lot more than just that situation...

5 hours ago, Trots said:

As to the appropriateness of the TD to AC, it depends on what you believe Tyrod was doing. If you believe he saw an open receiver and threw it to him, well, a QB should always be looking to do that. If you believe it was a chuck-it-up-and-pray play, then I agree, it was inappropriate given the circumstance (4th and 5.) While a QB should always be looking for the open guy, Hail Mary passes should be reserved for desperation. However, it is still infinitely better than the 4th and 5, 3 yard sideline routes we’ve seen for the past umpteen years. Like the old golf saying goes, you will miss 100% of the putts you leave short. 

Yeah I agree with this.  I would much rather throw a 7 yard pass in that situation than a 2 or a 40, but I agree that it should not be a 5 yard out.  Also I honestly don't believe it was a Hail Mary.  I think he saw his best reciever on a linebacker and thought he could make a play on the ball when we needed him to.  It worked out.  I still wish the team set up a safer play in that situation.  I don't want to rely on getting turnovers from the steelers when their driving to tie games, and I don't want to rely on 40 yard completions in the endzone to almost not lose games :-P

34 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

also you act like callaway or Jarvis were wide open when the decision was made to throw the ball...

0:47 seconds in that video you can see a clear shot of where people were when the ball was released...

the defensive player had turned around and started running downfield and still had 5 yards on Callaway....

and when he caught it, it was by the tips of his fingers with the DB just trailing him.  He was fairly well cover but was too fast and made a GREAT play on the ball.

If it was a wide open player sure! but that pass and catch had to be perfect, and they were, but that's not something I'm putting the game on the line hoping to get...

7 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

also you act like callaway or Jarvis were wide open when the decision was made to throw the ball...

0:47 seconds in that video you can see a clear shot of where people were when the ball was released...

the defensive player had turned around and started running downfield and still had 5 yards on Callaway....

and when he caught it, it was by the tips of his fingers with the DB just trailing him.  He was fairly well cover but was too fast and made a GREAT play on the ball.

If it was a wide open player sure! but that pass and catch had to be perfect, and they were, but that's not something I'm putting the game on the line hoping to get...

This isn't a conversation if somebody who you don't want benched makes that throw.  If Baker did that we'd have to change our pants. 

47 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I think this is the most accurate thing.  I had heard a ton from bills fans (I'm originally from upstate NY) about how I'll understand why they eventually benched him to see if Peterman could be better.  I don't think I will really ever understand for Peterman but people are already talking about benching him for Baker, which I disagree with.  I really hope Tyrod gets the year...

Where in upstate, I live in the finger lakes region

i was pretty dissappointed in the interception he threw on sun, his accuracy has been pretty bad and he's pretty conservative.  i can deal with the conservative if he at least has a better than 1 td/int ratio.  

we can win thursday.  he needs to be good in the win, imo.

Archived