Jump to content
FrantikRam

Thoughts on Goff?

Recommended Posts

Genuinely concerned about Goff at the moment. He hasn't looked the same since the bye week- we got away with it against a weak Detroit team but he's been woeful tonight. The Bears obviously have a very good defence and have had pretty much every decision (and a few non-decisions) go their way but, even so, that doesn't excuse Jared's pitiful passing tonight.

Is he carrying an injury which hasn't been made public? Or is it simply one two of those nights? He'll certainly have to play much better in the playoffs, or we'll be "one and done" again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DistantRam said:

Genuinely concerned about Goff at the moment. He hasn't looked the same since the bye week- we got away with it against a weak Detroit team but he's been woeful tonight. The Bears obviously have a very good defence and have had pretty much every decision (and a few non-decisions) go their way but, even so, that doesn't excuse Jared's pitiful passing tonight.

Is he carrying an injury which hasn't been made public? Or is it simply one two of those nights? He'll certainly have to play much better in the playoffs, or we'll be "one and done" again.

Im not concerned about Goff. He is resilient. Last week can be chalked up to coming off a long bye week after playing the game of the year and it was an early game for the Rams against a team the Rams was going to beat regardless if they were on their A game or not. 

This Bears game was just an overall nightmare. Sure the Bears defense was stellar but McVay didnt help by abandoning the running game, which took away the threat of the playaction pass. The oline had miss reads on blocks numerous times in the run and pass blocking. The receivers dropped balls, the Rams had more than the usual pre-snap penalties, and even when the Rams receivers caught the ball ala Reynolds, he ran the wrong route towards the 1st down and didnt even pick it up. He also had a bobble on an easy pitch and catch that went incomplete. So like everything went wrong for the Rams offense and its hard to overcome. 

The good news is we dont have to worry about going to Chicago again in the playoffs. I dont mind going back to New Orleans because Goff can move the football against the Saints secondary and it being in a dome. Going to Chicago in the playoffs is scary because the weather conditions could be even worst. But again Im not concerned with Goff. He is resilient so I expect him to bounce back next week at home against a poor Eagles secondary. Goff has been scary good at home so the recipe is there for him to carve up the Eagles which I expect him to do and get back on track. Now we just need the Saints to lose another game in which I believe they will. 

Edited by stl4life07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Im not concerned about Goff. He is resilient. Last week can be chalked up to coming off a long bye week after playing the game of the year and it was an early game for the Rams against a team the Rams was going to beat regardless if they were on their A game or not. 

This Bears game was just an overall nightmare. Sure the Bears defense was stellar but McVay didnt help by abandoning the running game, which took away the threat of the playaction pass. The oline had miss reads on blocks numerous times in the run and pass blocking. The receivers dropped balls, the Rams had more than the usual pre-snap penalties, and even when the Rams receivers caught the ball ala Reynolds, he ran the wrong route towards the 1st down and didnt even pick it up. He also had a bobble on an easy pitch and catch that went incomplete. So like everything went wrong for the Rams offense and its hard to overcome. 

The good news is we dont have to worry about going to Chicago again in the playoffs. I dont mind going back to New Orleans because Goff can move the football against the Saints secondary and it being in a dome. Going to Chicago in the playoffs is scary because the weather conditions could be even worst. But again Im not concerned with Goff. He is resilient so I expect him to bounce back next week at home against a poor Eagles secondary. Goff has been scary good at home so the recipe is there for him to carve up the Eagles which I expect him to do and get back on track. Now we just need the Saints to lose another game in which I believe they will. 

You’re being overly optimistic. I get seeing the positive out of everything , but Goff threw 4 picks and was out played by Trubisky who had a 33.3 QB rating. 

It’s up to the QB to step up when everything else goes south. That’s why they are the highest paid. A great QB masks the flaws of a team. 

For as good as Goff has been, two things are now for certain about him:  he doesn’t play well in cold weather and he struggles against top defenses. Got to call a spade a spade. 

Edited by rocky_rams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what has happened to Goff, but he looked almost brutal tonight.  It's hard to believe it was the same QB who lit up the Vikings defense with a bunch of perfect, laser-like throws just a number of weeks ago.  Maybe it was just a bad night.  It was kind of cold, and it almost seemed like that was having an effect on his ability to hold onto the ball when he was throwing.  That was a beastly Bears defense he was facing too, so there was that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't know what has happened to Goff, but he looked almost brutal tonight.  It's hard to believe it was the same QB who lit up the Vikings defense with a bunch of perfect, laser-like throws just a number of weeks ago.  Maybe it was just a bad night.  It was kind of cold, and it almost seemed like that was having an effect on his ability to hold onto the ball when he was throwing.  That was a beastly Bears defense he was facing too, so there was that.

it was a perfect storm so I definitely don't think you can chalk this game up as "this is what you can expect of Jared Goff."  At this point, I'm actually more critical of McVay and how he gameplans offensively against top defenses because his approach against the Bears tonight was too reminiscent for me of the approach he took against you guys (Vikings) last year when your edge rush was firing on all cylinders.  Instead of scheming to make the very talented edge rushers wear down and take punishment through out the game by running at them and popping them with extra blockers that aren't just traditional linemen, he gave up on the run too early when the stretch zone didn't immediately generate big gains but then still tried to sell the threat of play-action despite the running game not only not being utilized but the OL not having established that they could get moving downhill effectively in the run-game, so there was legitimately little reason to bite on PA because the OL weren't making much of any effort to actually push the pocket rather than just dropping into stance to try to form it (and then ending up getting pushed back themselves in part because they were predictable as hell).  Goff ended up with a ton of pressure in his face and at his back, no pocket to actually step up into, and dug himself into old, bad habits (oddly enough, similar ones that Wentz had today as well): Locking in on his primary read and not feeling pressure well.

Today was definitely one of those days where he missed Kupp A TON and not even so much for Cooper's dependability as a safety valve, but also for Kupp's run-blocking as he likely would have been one of those guys specifically intended to use to put in that extra chip on the edge rusher or being more than just a body to be trampled (which unfortunately is kind of what Reynolds is as a run-blocker) in helping to spring Gurley on those runs to the outside or off-tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll see how Goff rebounds. If he doesn't come out firing against Philly, we're in trouble. He's still a young QB, and young QBs have bad games every now and then. Tonight, it was a team effort on offense. It was a total failure, and that includes McVay. I don't know why he refused to pound the inside and outside zone when it was clear that Goff wasn't on his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it just me, or did anyone else think it looked like Goff was having trouble holding onto the ball when he was throwing it?  I don't know if it was the cold that was bothering him, or maybe wearing the wrong kind of gloves for the weather, or what, but it seemed like there were a lot of times where the ball was slipping out of his hand when he was throwing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

You’re being overly optimistic. I get seeing the positive out of everything , but Goff threw 4 picks and was out played by Trubisky who had a 33.3 QB rating. 

It’s up to the QB to step up when everything else goes south. That’s why they are the highest paid. A great QB masks the flaws of a team. 

For as good as Goff has been, two things are now for certain about him:  he doesn’t play well in cold weather and he struggles against top defenses. Got to call a spade a spade. 

If Im being overly optimistic, I can see how someone can be overly dramatic. Lets go to the great Drew Brees. He has a 1-4 road playoff record. He lost to the likes of Rex Grossman, Alex Smith when he was trying to figure out how to succeed in San Fran, Keenum, and a 7-9 Seahawks team which plenty of people said didnt even deserve to get into the playoffs based on their record. Is anyone bashing Brees for that? No. I bring it up to my friend who is a Saints fan to let him know that the Saints need HFA because I dont trust the Saints on the road, but again nobody talks about Brees track record on the road. Brady track record when he has to go to Miami isnt great. He leaves the cold weather in New England and goes to the heat that is Miami. Last season the Patriots lost to a Jay Cutler led Dolphins team in which the Patriots went 0-10 on 3rd downs. They lost again today which now makes Tannehill 4-1 against Brady in Miami. How many people are talking about that?

At the end of the day, if I can just sum it up to what Dieon Sanders said, he take nothing away from the Rams performance tonight. It was cold, they arent used to that weather and wanted to just get out of there. The team, besides the defense was out of sorts. The coaching was poor, special teams outside of Hekker was poor, offense was poor. I dont chalk it up to just Goff. Can I add another? This same Bears team went to Miami to play the Brock Oswieller led Dolphins. I forget who said this but he was on the Cowherd show. Colin said the Bears are going to blow out the Dolphins. The guy said, pump the breaks. He said the Dolphins is going to win because the Bears arent used to that 95+ degree heat. He said the Bears are going to melt and come the 4th quarter they are going to be done. Guess what happened? The Bears looked great early, had the game under control, when the 4th quarter came that lead quickly went away and the Dolphins came all the way back and won in OT. 

So again, I dont pin this all on Goff. Outside of the defense and Hekker, the team was out of whack. I mostly think because of the cold and the Bears defense being that good. Now if this game is played in LA and Goff and the team in general played like crap then lets have this discussion. I saw a QB who the Vikings defense dominated last season in Minnesota. They played them again in LA this season. Pretty much the same defensive players and Goff carved them up. Im not going to be overly dramatic for a QB who still has the most wins in the NFL among QBs since the start of last season. He has only 3 road losses since the start of last season. Last season he had his struggles at home but this season he is scary good at home. He isnt as great on the road this season like he was last season but guess what, he wont have to play but one road game at best in the playoffs. That road game is in New Orleans in which he just put up 35pts against them. I still think the Saints lose another game and the Rams will win out. That will mean Goff gets to play all his games in LA in the NFC playoffs. Again Goff has been scary good at home against any defense. So we wont have to worry about road games against Chicago or Dallas. They will be coming to us and I love our chances because Chicago isnt going on the road and score 15pts and expect to win just like Dallas isnt going on the road and score 13pts and expect to win.

Edited by stl4life07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RamRod said:

Goff doesn’t like cold

 

The team outside of Gurley when he gets the ball dont like the cold. Gurley in the two cold games under McVay had 501yds total from scrimmage and 4 tds. For the life of me I dont know why they werent feeding him more in this game. The playaction pass doesnt work if you dont establish a threat to run. You cant pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, and pass in consecutive fashion and think a run fake is going to work. McVay knows that. This game remind me of Week 5 Seattle game where they didnt run Gurley. When they played Seattle again in Seattle McVay ran Gurley alot. Gurley had that monster game and then McVay came into the press conference and basically said he was stupid not to run Gurley in the first meeting. You run Gurley especially knowing Goff was bad today. The entire passing game was bad including Gurley. Inaccurate passes, confusion on routes, dropped balls, taking bad routes trying to get a 1st down which ended up costing 1st downs. The oline got confused on many of times and left defenders to run free untouched to Goff. Like the passing game was brutal so handing it to Gurley 20+ times only made sense. Goff and company will bounce back next week at home against a poor Eagles secondary. The good news is the Rams wont have to travel to Chicago for the playoffs. Now its me rooting for the Panthers or Steelers to beat the Saints so the Rams can regain the 1 seed advantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

If Im being overly optimistic, I can see how someone can be overly dramatic. Lets go to the great Drew Brees. He has a 1-4 road playoff record. He lost to the likes of Rex Grossman, Alex Smith when he was trying to figure out how to succeed in San Fran, Keenum, and a 7-9 Seahawks team which plenty of people said didnt even deserve to get into the playoffs based on their record. Is anyone bashing Brees for that? No. I bring it up to my friend who is a Saints fan to let him know that the Saints need HFA because I dont trust the Saints on the road, but again nobody talks about Brees track record on the road. Brady track record when he has to go to Miami isnt great. He leaves the cold weather in New England and goes to the heat that is Miami. Last season the Patriots lost to a Jay Cutler led Dolphins team in which the Patriots went 0-10 on 3rd downs. They lost again today which now makes Tannehill 4-1 against Brady in Miami. How many people are talking about that?

At the end of the day, if I can just sum it up to what Dieon Sanders said, he take nothing away from the Rams performance tonight. It was cold, they arent used to that weather and wanted to just get out of there. The team, besides the defense was out of sorts. The coaching was poor, special teams outside of Hekker was poor, offense was poor. I dont chalk it up to just Goff. Can I add another? This same Bears team went to Miami to play the Brock Oswieller led Dolphins. I forget who said this but he was on the Cowherd show. Colin said the Bears are going to blow out the Dolphins. The guy said, pump the breaks. He said the Dolphins is going to win because the Bears arent used to that 95+ degree heat. He said the Bears are going to melt and come the 4th quarter they are going to be done. Guess what happened? The Bears looked great early, had the game under control, when the 4th quarter came that lead quickly went away and the Dolphins came all the way back and won in OT. 

So again, I dont pin this all on Goff. Outside of the defense and Hekker, the team was out of whack. I mostly think because of the cold and the Bears defense being that good. Now if this game is played in LA and Goff and the team in general played like crap then lets have this discussion. I saw a QB who the Vikings defense dominated last season in Minnesota. They played them again in LA this season. Pretty much the same defensive players and Goff carved them up. Im not going to be overly dramatic for a QB who still has the most wins in the NFL among QBs since the start of last season. He has only 3 road losses since the start of last season. Last season he had his struggles at home but this season he is scary good at home. He isnt as great on the road this season like he was last season but guess what, he wont have to play but one road game at best in the playoffs. That road game is in New Orleans in which he just put up 35pts against them. I still think the Saints lose another game and the Rams will win out. That will mean Goff gets to play all his games in LA in the NFC playoffs. Again Goff has been scary good at home against any defense. So we wont have to worry about road games against Chicago or Dallas. They will be coming to us and I love our chances because Chicago isnt going on the road and score 15pts and expect to win just like Dallas isnt going on the road and score 13pts and expect to win.

It doesn’t matter what Brees did. Goff threw 4 picks and relies too much on Robert Woods and is not the same qb when the play action is not there.  

Im not worried about today’s game. Im worried about him in the long run if he doesn’t develop. 

There will be times where he needs to win on the road in Chicago or New York in the playoffs and carry his team.  

Thats what we need to be worried about until he consistently proves otherwise. If he had a 1td 2 interceptions game I wouldn’t mind. But a 4 interception game and be outplayed by Mitch Trubisky is concerning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all of you Rams fans.There is nothing wrong with your team or your QB. The Bears D simply dominated them. It happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

It doesn’t matter what Brees did. Goff threw 4 picks and relies too much on Robert Woods and is not the same qb when the play action is not there.  

Im not worried about today’s game. Im worried about him in the long run if he doesn’t develop. 

There will be times where he needs to win on the road in Chicago or New York in the playoffs and carry his team.  

Thats what we need to be worried about until he consistently proves otherwise. If he had a 1td 2 interceptions game I wouldn’t mind. But a 4 interception game and be outplayed by Mitch Trubisky is concerning. 

Im not worried about Goff long term. Again what did people say last season at Minnesota? The Rams scored a td on the opening possession and got beat 25-7. Goff looked bad in a dome. Not outside in the freezing cold. That Vikings defense last season was dominant. What happened this season with that same Vikings defense when they traveled to LA? Again Goff carved them up. Goff is a mentally tough dude. He isnt going to let this game define him. Its just a bad game on his resume. The playcalling couldve been alot better.Just like that Vikings game last season where Goff only ran the ball 15 times, I dont understand why Gurley only ran 11 times? How many QBs you know can go on the road in cold hostile environment against a great defense without the threat of a running game and succeed? If you are questioning if he will develop, he has developed every season he has been in the NFL. He still has room to grow and he will get there with games like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ibt734 said:

For all of you Rams fans.There is nothing wrong with your team or your QB. The Bears D simply dominated them. It happens. 

I agree. I think its easy to overact. To me its overacting to the wrong thing. Dont overact to Goff struggling, overact to why McVay decided to forget Gurley ever existed as a running back? The game wasnt a blowout, there is no reason Gurley shouldnt have ran the ball at least 20 times. Goff or any QB wouldnt stand a chance in this situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Was it just me, or did anyone else think it looked like Goff was having trouble holding onto the ball when he was throwing it?  I don't know if it was the cold that was bothering him, or maybe wearing the wrong kind of gloves for the weather, or what, but it seemed like there were a lot of times where the ball was slipping out of his hand when he was throwing it.

It’s those tiny hands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×