Thoughts on Goff?

FrantikRam

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

There was a Bears beat guy who was tweeting out some of the run plays from last night and they did run jet sweep and the Bears did not respect it at all.

I think the fact that the Bears line up the same way most of the time and disguise so much may have effected his ability to get into a rhythm and get some easy pre determined reads and throws to get moving.

It was an odd gameplan. 

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It was an odd gameplan. 

It is a learning game for McVay, which is what he mentioned after the game.

I do not think the Rams have played a team with the front 7 talent and depth the Bears have. It is not surprising that he was probably a little surprised how they shut down the run and generated pressure with 7 guys still in coverage and both safeties deep.

Kid had a rough game, in a rough atmosphere, against a top 5 defense and a top 3 OLB in Mack. Hey, it happens. We got punched in the mouth and I'm glad it happened now then in the playoffs as somebody said. The fact that we played that badly and it was still a 9point game is promising. I would be excited at the chance to play the Bears a second time if it was in LA. Really wish we committed to the run earlier in the game. It may not have led to a better YPR, but it could have cut down on Goff's 4ints and gave our defense more opportunities to make plays. If AD is getting triple teamed, Brockers and Suh need to take advantage of one on one match ups better.

Overall, not worried about Goff. He will bounce back from this and I think it was a good learning experience. He did look really bad though.

Just got done watching Goff’s post game conference and something that bothers me about him is he has some Jeff Fisher in him.  

What I mean by that is that it seems the losses and his mistakes don’t really bother him. 

I remember watching Fishers pressers and he would be so nonchalant after losses and always try to point out positives. 

I know he’s got a calm demeanor. I wish some Belicheck in him. 

Goff is the main perpetrator for our last two losses and he needs to start showing more accountability 

42 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Just got done watching Goff’s post game conference and something that bothers me about him is he has some Jeff Fisher in him.  

What I mean by that is that it seems the losses and his mistakes don’t really bother him. 

I remember watching Fishers pressers and he would be so nonchalant after losses and always try to point out positives. 

I know he’s got a calm demeanor. I wish some Belicheck in him. 

Goff is the main perpetrator for our last two losses and he needs to start showing more accountability 

Good. Having a short memory is very important to playing QB in the NFL. I want a QB whose confidence isn't shaken by struggles. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Good. Having a short memory is very important to playing QB in the NFL. I want a QB whose confidence isn't shaken by struggles. 

Having a short memory is good but not after every game if the loss is on your shoulders. 

I cant see Tom Brady or Drew Brees speak that way after three crappy weeks

15 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Having a short memory is good but not after every game if the loss is on your shoulders. 

I cant see Tom Brady or Drew Brees speak that way after three crappy weeks

The loss last week was on his shoulders. The loss tonight falls on a lot of shoulders. The defense gave up 30 points to Nick Foles. The OL got embarrassed far too often. Natson fumbled away our chance of tying the game. Wade had a terrible strategy. And Goff didn't play particularly well. But the fact of the matter is that when we needed Goff to come through in the 4th quarter, he delivered. And I feel quite confident that had Jojo Natson not coughed up that punt, Goff would have delivered again. 

Say what you will, but that is what gives me confidence for the playoffs. I believe that Goff will deliver if we need a game-winning drive in the 4th quarter. McVay and Goff will get the crap figured out. 

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The loss last week was on his shoulders. The loss tonight falls on a lot of shoulders. The defense gave up 30 points to Nick Foles. The OL got embarrassed far too often. Natson fumbled away our chance of tying the game. Wade had a terrible strategy. And Goff didn't play particularly well. But the fact of the matter is that when we needed Goff to come through in the 4th quarter, he delivered. And I feel quite confident that had Jojo Natson not coughed up that punt, Goff would have delivered again. 

Say what you will, but that is what gives me confidence for the playoffs. I believe that Goff will deliver if we need a game-winning drive in the 4th quarter. McVay and Goff will get the crap figured out. 

Let’s hope so. I know he has that clutch gene. 

37 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Let’s hope so. I know he has that clutch gene. 

There has to be an underlying reason- mental or physical- why Goff is playing so poorly at the moment. 

Since the bye week, he’s barely completed half his pass attempts and has a 1:7 TD:INT ratio. We all know he’s a lot better than that but he’d better get his act together soon or we are going “one and done” again. 

I know we are all fans here but surely people have to be worried by the quarterback’s recent form. One dodgy game- it happens. Two? “The Bears have a great defence”. But three poor games in a row?

5 hours ago, DistantRam said:

There has to be an underlying reason- mental or physical- why Goff is playing so poorly at the moment. 

Since the bye week, he’s barely completed half his pass attempts and has a 1:7 TD:INT ratio. We all know he’s a lot better than that but he’d better get his act together soon or we are going “one and done” again. 

I know we are all fans here but surely people have to be worried by the quarterback’s recent form. One dodgy game- it happens. Two? “The Bears have a great defence”. But three poor games in a row?

One could also say that this was his first bad game at home. Im not worried about Goff still. This season is so long that players go through slumps. The greatness of AB, remember the first month of the season Big Ben and him couldnt get on the same page? Remember how Big Ben compared it to wifi connection? Remember the frustration was so much that AB skipped practice for a day? All is forgotten because AB got out of his slump and has been great since.

Even Brees had his moments this season. He had 3 games this season where he threw for less than 200yds. The only difference is the Saints was still winning. In AB case, the Steelers was losing early. The reason why Goff struggles are such a big deal is because the Rams are 1-2. 

Again its a long season and so Goff is in a struggle after having a MVP caliber season before the BYE. Im not panicking. Yes he struggled against the Lions but the Rams found a way to win. Yes he struggled against the Eagles but the Rams found a way to put themselves in position to tie had Reynolds somehow caught that ball. That tells me that Goff and the Rams have fight no matter what. I want Goff to be at his best in January. Brady even have his struggles in December. He struggled last December and is struggling this December. When January comes and Brady looks good, like he normally does, nobody will remember his December struggles. So if Goff gets back to playing the way we know he can play in January, nobody will remember that he struggled at Detroit, at Chicago, and against the Eagles. 

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I agree. I feel like that Natson fumble hurt big time but even then Goff still got the ball with one throw to the endzone. If Reynolds somehow catches that ball the game is tied. Goff is still great in the 4th quarter. My question is and this is not a reaction to what happened but, why isnt Cooper returning punts? I understand Natson was great in Cooper absences but Cooper was an All-Pro KR/PR last season. You want him on the field doing what he do best. If the game was a blowout then sure put Natson out there. The game is on the line Cooper should be doing what he did last season and that returning punts.

Archived