Thoughts on Goff?

FrantikRam

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Was it just me, or did anyone else think it looked like Goff was having trouble holding onto the ball when he was throwing it?  I don't know if it was the cold that was bothering him, or maybe wearing the wrong kind of gloves for the weather, or what, but it seemed like there were a lot of times where the ball was slipping out of his hand when he was throwing it.

I think both QBs were struggling to hold the ball. There was an incredible amount of bad throws in this game.

One thing that does happen sometimes is that you get the moisture from the lake hitting the stadium and adding a layer of iciness.

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree. I think its easy to overact. To me its overacting to the wrong thing. Dont overact to Goff struggling, overact to why McVay decided to forget Gurley ever existed as a running back? The game wasnt a blowout, there is no reason Gurley shouldnt have ran the ball at least 20 times. Goff or any QB wouldnt stand a chance in this situation. 

When our defense is on they will make your QB look really bad.

If you really take garbage time out of the equation they have embarrassed a bunch of QBs. Usually, our offense scores 28 points and then the QB saves their QBR against our prevent defense. The Bears offense was bad and Goff did not get that.

Wilson. Stafford, and Cousins both saved their ratings against prevent defenses.

I think people like to ignore the learning process of playing QB and the incredible amount of things you have to learn,

Goff now has more experience playing in the cold and more experience playing when things are not going well. Next time the offense is totally out of whack perhaps he plays differently, throws less picks, checks to more runs.

McVay as a young HC is the same. The experience he got last night from Fangio is more valuable than the win would have been. How many games has McVay coached where his offense has been hit in the mouth like that? Better now, than in the playoffs in the Super Dome.

30 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think people like to ignore the learning process of playing QB and the incredible amount of things you have to learn,

Goff now has more experience playing in the cold and more experience playing when things are not going well. Next time the offense is totally out of whack perhaps he plays differently, throws less picks, checks to more runs.

McVay as a young HC is the same. The experience he got last night from Fangio is more valuable than the win would have been. How many games has McVay coached where his offense has been hit in the mouth like that? Better now, than in the playoffs in the Super Dome.

Im glad you mentioned the last part in the Super Dome. Goff was great in the 1st half of his first trip to the Super Dome. It was his rookie season making his first career start on the road he threw 3 td passes in the 1st half. No QB through the first 12 weeks went to New Orleans and threw 3 td passes in one half against the Saints. That list included Carr, Wilson, Ryan, and Cam. The 2nd half though, Goff looked shell shocked and the Saints took it to him. In his second trip to New Orleans which was this season, he was the reason the Rams tied the game in the 4th quarter and came all the way back from down 21pts and we know how hard it is to do that in New Orleans. So in his second trip to New Orleans he learned from his first trip to New Orleans and played great. So Goff is the least of my worries. He is resilient, he learns from his experiences. Even his struggles he had against the Vikings defense last season. He played them again this season and had his best game of his career. So Im not worried about Goff. I am worried about McVay having multiple games now in his short resume as the head coach where he just totally forgets about Gurley in the running game. I trust McVay but you would think that if the passing game isnt working or just the offense in general is out of sync, you just run the ball. Its not rocket science. But again, Im in the mindset of Dieon Sanders and Peter Schrager, its one game that means nothing. Forget about this game because this isnt the Rams team. They wont have to play in Chicago in the playoffs. There game will be in LA where Goff and that offense was great or it will be in New Orleans where the offense put up 35pts and Goff looked great especially in the 2nd half. It means more to the Bears because it gives them confidence if they have to go to LA that they beat them once they feel good about duplicating it. Outside of that, this game means nothing this season and long term it can help McVay realize in games like this you have to commit to the run with Gurley.

Last night may have been more of a learning experience for McVay than anyone.

Both QBs were brutal last night, but both coaches reacted differently.

-Nagy coming out of the half put the handcuffs on Trubisky, ran the ball, and started scheming yards.

-I did not think McVay reacted in the same way, now Goff has more of a resume than Mitch, but adjustments were not made to help him.

8 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree. I think its easy to overact. To me its overacting to the wrong thing. Dont overact to Goff struggling, overact to why McVay decided to forget Gurley ever existed as a running back? The game wasnt a blowout, there is no reason Gurley shouldnt have ran the ball at least 20 times. Goff or any QB wouldnt stand a chance in this situation. 

Gurley was not going to get anything last night. 

2 hours ago, ibt734 said:

Gurley was not going to get anything last night. 

Nobody knows that. Thats the one thing I dont like when a back gets a few carries early isnt successful and then the coaches stop running. We will never know if they kept running Gurley that as the game went on he gets his groove and start to get good gains. I remember Gurley rookie season where he didnt always get off to great starts running the football but Fisher kept running him because thats the only thing Fisher knew how to do. In the 2nd half Gurley would get hot and start running over defenses. Thats how he won OROY that year. Most of his games that season came off of strong performances that he had in the 2nd half after slow 1st half starts. Im not saying McVay should go all Fisher approach but sometimes just see that its going to be one of those games where the Rams are going to ride Gurley for better or for worst. Defenders dont want to tackle that big guy for 4 quarters. Its easier to run block than pass block. The Rams made it easy for the Bears because they only ran the ball with Gurley 11 times. 

But if we are going to talk about Gurley not doing anything regardless there were games, like the Falcons where Gurley was averaging 7ypc and McVay still only ran him 14 times. He legit had over 100yds rushing but only had 14 rushing attempts. That just cant happen. So the end result is the Rams need to run Gurley more than 11 times no matter what. If the ship is going to sink go down with the best player on offense. I would be more happy today if Gurley ran the ball at least 20 times. Even if he had 20 carries for 57yds. At least I know the Rams offense went down with its best player touching the ball alot. I have no problem with the Rams losing to the Bears last night. The Bears are a good football team especially at home in those conditions. I had no problem with the Rams losing to the Falcons in the playoffs because the Falcons shouldve won the Superbowl in 2016 so they came into the playoffs with talent and something to prove. What I did have a problem with is Gurley seeing fewer than 15 rushing attempts. I can understand if he was hurt like he was against the Chiefs. I can understand if the Rams was trailing big like they were against the Saints. That was neither the case in the Falcons game or the Bears game. No excuse to run a few times, see its not working, and abandon it altogether without giving the best offensive player on the field the ball more. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Last night may have been more of a learning experience for McVay than anyone.

Both QBs were brutal last night, but both coaches reacted differently.

-Nagy coming out of the half put the handcuffs on Trubisky, ran the ball, and started scheming yards.

-I did not think McVay reacted in the same way, now Goff has more of a resume than Mitch, but adjustments were not made to help him.

I have no idea what McVay was doing. The offense was more vanilla and predictable than I've ever seen. I can't recall us using any misdirection. We ran the jet sweep fake a handful of times, but that was the closest thing to misdirection we did all night. That's just not like McVay.

9 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Nobody knows that.

Well, 11 carries in and only 28 yards is a nice sample size. Had he gotten 9 more carries, do you really think it would have changed? Everything for the Rams offense is predicated on Gurley's success. How many minutes did the Rams have the ball? 24? McVay knew the run wasn't gonna happen IMO. 

4 hours ago, ibt734 said:

Well, 11 carries in and only 28 yards is a nice sample size. Had he gotten 9 more carries, do you really think it would have changed? Everything for the Rams offense is predicated on Gurley's success. How many minutes did the Rams have the ball? 24? McVay knew the run wasn't gonna happen IMO. 

Those 11 carries were scattered. Gurley is arguably the best back in the NFL if not the best back period in the NFL. You have to give him the ball at least 20 times in a close game to see if he can eventually get things going if he starts off slowly. Again he has a resume of starting the 1st half slowly then turning things up in the 3rd and 4th quarter and dominate. He doesnt always have to start the game off great to think he is going to stay great. Sure thats what you would like for him to start off great but thats not going to be the case every game. You know he is good enough though if you just be patient and stick with him that he will eventually get going. Plus at the very least if the Rams kept handing it to Gurley regardless of the result, the playaction pass with be more of a threat. Why? Because the Bears understand the Rams are still trying to run the football. You cant playaction pass when you only have 11 rushing attempts from Gurley. Its crazy to think Gurley had more rushing attempts against the Chiefs than he had against the Bears and he got banged up in the 1st quarter and was used as a decoy the rest of the against the Chiefs. Im still shaking my head. Nothing nobody can say that will convince me Gurley shouldnt have gotten at least 20 rushing attempts against the Bears. 

5 hours ago, ibt734 said:

It certainly could have changed. None of us will ever know. What we do know is that it was idiotic to conclude that the run game wasn't going to happen and keep throwing the ball with a passing attack that was even less effective.

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I have no idea what McVay was doing. The offense was more vanilla and predictable than I've ever seen. I can't recall us using any misdirection. We ran the jet sweep fake a handful of times, but that was the closest thing to misdirection we did all night. That's just not like McVay.

There was a Bears beat guy who was tweeting out some of the run plays from last night and they did run jet sweep and the Bears did not respect it at all.

I think the fact that the Bears line up the same way most of the time and disguise so much may have effected his ability to get into a rhythm and get some easy pre determined reads and throws to get moving.

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Those 11 carries were scattered. Gurley is arguably the best back in the NFL if not the best back period in the NFL. You have to give him the ball at least 20 times in a close game to see if he can eventually get things going 

Oh I understand the philosophy behind getting him work. I think McVay figured it was not going to be productive. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It certainly could have changed. None of us will ever know. What we do know is that it was idiotic to conclude that the run game wasn't going to happen and keep throwing the ball with a passing attack that was even less effective.

Since Gurley's running sets up the passing game, McVay didn't seem to have an answer for Gurley being stopped. It was foreign territory to him. I really think that, which made the Rams one dimensional,  and the cold temps were problems. 

1 hour ago, ibt734 said:

Since Gurley's running sets up the passing game, McVay didn't seem to have an answer for Gurley being stopped. It was foreign territory to him. I really think that, which made the Rams one dimensional,  and the cold temps were problems. 

It's not foreign territory. It has happened before.

Archived