Patriots trade for Josh Gordon from Browns

49erurtaza

10 minutes ago, jjab360 said:

Addiction is sad but a guy like Gordon would've been shown the door ages ago in any other professional industry.

He missed 2 full seasons. If that's not the equivalent of being "shown the door", I don't know what is.

8 minutes ago, Starless said:

He missed 2 full seasons. If that's not the equivalent of being "shown the door", I don't know what is.

Enforced by the league, not the Browns. Holding a guy under contract who has been involved in at least seven seperate drug/alcohol related incidents in his career is the very definition of insanity.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/alex-reimer/josh-gordon-substance-abuse-timeline-failed-drug-tests-year-long-suspensions-and

And sadly, it's pretty obvious that publicly claiming a player with Gordon's history was "not himself" after showing up late to a meeting has very heavy, very clear implications.

22 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I thought it at the time of the trade as well, but what a silly trade by the Browns. They get next to nothing for a guy that could really be helping their young rookie QB right now.

As mentioned in another thread, culture change is huge in a rebuild. Pats locker room can afford to have a guy show up late and take some days off mentally. Browns cannot. I’m assuming they shopped him all year and we’re on the verge of cutting him because you would think a contender would have offered more.

37 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

As mentioned in another thread, culture change is huge in a rebuild. Pats locker room can afford to have a guy show up late and take some days off mentally. Browns cannot. I’m assuming they shopped him all year and we’re on the verge of cutting him because you would think a contender would have offered more.

This is the thing... because of the culture that doesn’t happen with the Pats

24 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

Seems uncharacteristic of the Pats unless he wasn’t actually late when reported.

So there was a report by Rapaport that he was going to miss a quarter or significant time because he broke some sort of team rule. Then there was a separate report that he was late to a meeting and then late to the plane. But then...nothing happened. Gordon started and played a large majority of the snaps. Bill and Josh both said to ask the reporter after the game.

So either Gordon wasn’t late or Bill decided not to discipline a player that we assume is on a short leash. Shrug. 

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

So there was a report by Rapaport that he was going to miss a quarter or significant time because he broke some sort of team rule. Then there was a separate report that he was late to a meeting and then late to the plane. But then...nothing happened. Gordon started and played a large majority of the snaps. Bill and Josh both said to ask the reporter after the game.

So either Gordon wasn’t late or Bill decided not to discipline a player that we assume is on a short leash. Shrug. 

Even if he was late or broke a rule, this shows Bill can bury the story and make reporters question themselves.   

I think the Chiefs would have been a good organizational fit for Gordon as well.

Archived