Developmental QB slot - a way to groom QBs.

Thaiphoon

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Was just about to post that over into "Things Other ..."

His plan is to always draft a 1st round QB but I wonder if you could carry 3 Qb's take Qb's that drop to the 3rd/4th such as Mason Rudolph this year.

Just now, rizzy said:

His plan is to always draft a 1st round QB but I wonder if you could carry 3 Qb's take Qb's that drop to the 3rd/4th such as Mason Rudolph this year.

Problem with that strategy is if it were to catch on, then Rudolph would not be available in the 3rd.

I’ve been saying this for years. When Russell Wilson’s contract was up I said they should trade him away and draft another one. It’s totally different if you have a Tom Brady-Peyton Manning type but outside of that teams should be dealing these guys away after year 4. You have a much better chance of building a great defense and run-game than you do of finding an elite level QB. 

The Vikings could’ve drafted a QB this year and probably would be in the exact same position they are now. Instead they are now tied to the largest guaranteed contract ever (or was). The Redskins made a brave move shockingly by allowing Kirk to walk but in normal Redskins fashion they screwed it all up. Had they dealt Kirk away for a first round pick (from the 49ers) we would’ve had Derwin James and Daron Payne right now. Instead we end up letting Kirk walk and doubling down the stupidity by trading for another expensive QB. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’ve been saying this for years. When Russell Wilson’s contract was up I said they should trade him away and draft another one. It’s totally different if you have a Tom Brady-Peyton Manning type but outside of that teams should be dealing these guys away after year 4. You have a much better chance of building a great defense and run-game than you do of finding an elite level QB. 

The Vikings could’ve drafted a QB this year and probably would be in the exact same position they are now. Instead they are now tied to the largest guaranteed contract ever (or was). The Redskins made a brave move shockingly by allowing Kirk to walk but in normal Redskins fashion they screwed it all up. Had they dealt Kirk away for a first round pick (from the 49ers) we would’ve had Derwin James and Daron Payne right now. Instead we end up letting Kirk walk and doubling down the stupidity by trading for another expensive QB. 

I agree with most of this, but it’s TBD whether the move to trade for Alex works out over the next 5 years.

Also, while Derwin James is great, I’m not sure he’s that much better than Montae Nicholson. Nicholson can also be special safety. He’s shown flashes the last two years. Let’s not forget he was one of the guys who got knocked out of the saints game last year and when he was in, our D was playing a lot better with him on the back end and we had the lead.

• 2 months later...
Just now, Thaiphoon said:

So, its only a little old, but I thought I'd bring this back up. Sure could've used something like this right about now, huh?

I still need to wrap up that QB analysis I've got lying around.

The short answer is: no, not really.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:39 PM, turtle28 said:

I agree with most of this, but it’s TBD whether the move to trade for Alex works out over the next 5 years.

Also, while Derwin James is great, I’m not sure he’s that much better than Montae Nicholson. Nicholson can also be special safety. He’s shown flashes the last two years. Let’s not forget he was one of the guys who got knocked out of the saints game last year and when he was in, our D was playing a lot better with him on the back end and we had the lead.

You must haven't seen Derwin James play. Derwin>>>>>>Nicholson. The guy I wanted the Skins to draft last year was Desmond King who lasted to the 5th round! King is also better than Nicholson, but they took Nicholson with King still on the board. I know King is listed as a CB but he can also play FS.

Kings profile

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/pyrnotes.php?pyid=127502&draftyear=2017&genpos=FS

On 9/27/2018 at 11:21 AM, rizzy said:

What I could give to have Mason Rudolph or Kyle Lauletta on the roster right now....

On 9/30/2018 at 12:39 PM, turtle28 said:

Um, Derwin James is light years ahead of Nicholson. Nicholson has some injury concerns, but some of this is the front office and their inability to scout good talent unless they are an absolute given, i.e., Da'Ron Payne. 

I also think that the move for Alex has been a disaster and will continue to be a disaster the older he gets. 

We need youth at the position and someone that is going to make mistakes and learn from them. 

Simply put: Fire Bruce Allen. Promote Eric Shafer. 

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I dont think the rosters should be expanded. I think whats best money wise for the teams to invest in would be a minor league program stuck somewhere. Each team with a minor league team to pull whats needed from and develop young talent along.

I like the idea, but there is a lot of risk involved with that. Injuries, insurance, liability, coaches, full staffing, etc...

Essentially, the NFL has used the college game as this kind of platform conisdering they don't have to pay them anything. 

21 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I like the idea, but there is a lot of risk involved with that. Injuries, insurance, liability, coaches, full staffing, etc...

Essentially, the NFL has used the college game as this kind of platform conisdering they don't have to pay them anything. 

NFL has their own network station. Majority of what they show doesnt gather a blip on the ratings scales. Half million sports bars in America alone could help give the network ratings and put games in the top 100 viewed to garner commercial money enough to profit off the idea. Local networks could pick up some. I could see CSNWashington loving the ability, and following developing later round picks.

When WWE launched their network. Of course it would be a hit because sports bars were paying by their square footage and seating ability. Rather than a standard general public fee. So when the network launched, 600K sports bars across America and into Canada jumped at the 10 dollar a month deal. NFLNET can basically do the same thing, just running off commercial income. Because all these bars alone have extra live events to show on a specific night nothing else is slated for. And thats all without touching the general public thats watching at home.

3 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

NFL has their own network station. Majority of what they show doesnt gather a blip on the ratings scales. Half million sports bars in America alone could help give the network ratings and put games in the top 100 viewed to garner commercial money enough to profit off the idea. Local networks could pick up some. I could see CSNWashington loving the ability, and following developing later round picks.

When WWE launched their network. Of course it would be a hit because sports bars were paying by their square footage and seating ability. Rather than a standard general public fee. So when the network launched, 600K sports bars across America and into Canada jumped at the 10 dollar a month deal. NFLNET can basically do the same thing, just running off commercial income. Because all these bars alone have extra live events to show on a specific night nothing else is slated for. And thats all without touching the general public thats watching at home.

That takes time, money, and effort for the entire league.

Just grabbing some random ex-player who had made the show previously (even if a bum, like say, oh I dunno, Mark Sanchez) is only a temporary cost for a single team.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:04 PM, Skins212689 said:

You must haven't seen Derwin James play. Derwin>>>>>>Nicholson. The guy I wanted the Skins to draft last year was Desmond King who lasted to the 5th round! King is also better than Nicholson, but they took Nicholson with King still on the board. I know King is listed as a CB but he can also play FS.

Kings profile

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/pyrnotes.php?pyid=127502&draftyear=2017&genpos=FS

I wanted Desmond King too, and don’t get me wrong, I like Derwin James, it’s just we already had two decent to good safeties and had zero NTs. Payne has been awesome and most of what he does goes unnoticed - especially in the run game - we’ve needed to upgrade our interior DL since 2012 when Bowen & Carriker got hurt, and I for one am elated we’ve done it in the last 3 drafts by drafting Ioannidis in 2016, Allen in 2017 and Payne/Settle in 18.

Archived