Developmental QB slot - a way to groom QBs.

Thaiphoon

On 12/5/2018 at 10:42 AM, mike23md said:

Um, Derwin James is light years ahead of Nicholson. Nicholson has some injury concerns, but some of this is the front office and their inability to scout good talent unless they are an absolute given, i.e., Da'Ron Payne. 

I also think that the move for Alex has been a disaster and will continue to be a disaster the older he gets. 

We need youth at the position and someone that is going to make mistakes and learn from them. 

Simply put: Fire Bruce Allen. Promote Eric Shafer. 

I’m not sure Shaffer should be our GM - unless he’s going to allow Doug Williams/Kyle Smith/Tim Grimble continue to make personnel decisions and he just does contracts - maybe Eric should be made the team President and then Kyle Smith the GM, Doug Williams keeps his title and Tim Grimble can be assistant GM. Or Doug is promoted to team president, etc.

Its just Shafer is a #s guy/contract/capoligist, he’s not a football personnel guy. The way I see him is he’s a smarter and better version of Bruce Allen.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I wanted Desmond King too, and don’t get me wrong, I like Derwin James, it’s just we already had two decent to good safeties and had zero NTs. Payne has been awesome and most of what he does goes unnoticed - especially in the run game - we’ve needed to upgrade our interior DL since 2012 when Bowen & Carriker got hurt, and I for one am elated we’ve done it in the last 3 drafts by drafting Ioannidis in 2016, Allen in 2017 and Payne/Settle in 18.

Taking Payne over James wasn't the reason I was pointing out those facts. The fact you have so much love for Nicholson is why. As said Nicholson is not better than either guy James or King. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Developmental QB spot would definitely come in handy now boys!!!....

Yup. This is what I was thinking. Can you imagine what we could've done if we had a QB to promote from that slot who had been practicing with us for the last 2 years? 

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Taking Payne over James wasn't the reason I was pointing out those facts. The fact you have so much love for Nicholson is why. As said Nicholson is not better than either guy James or King. 

Well of course they’re better but we needed a NT and have needed one since 2010. We got one - actually two including Settle - be happy and move on!

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. This is what I was thinking. Can you imagine what we could've done if we had a QB to promote from that slot who had been practicing with us for the last 2 years? 

Well we did try with Sudfeld by putting him on the PS, but the Eagles snatched him up.

sadly, we didn’t have the developmental QB safeguard, if we did, we’d have Sufeld as our back up to Sanchize or maybe he’d even be starting now.

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well of course they’re better but we needed a NT and have needed one since 2010. We got one - actually two including Settle - be happy and move on!

You be happy and praise every stupid move this team makes. Dont come at my post like that or please just dont respond. They could've had King over Nicholson eliminating the need for James or Ha Ha coming into this year. Your original post in witch you say James and Nicholson are the same guy is incorrect. Both he and King (the guy I would've taken instead of Nicholson are better than him) Stick to that statement. Don't switch it to we needed a DT more than James, I agreed with that. 

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well we did try with Sudfeld by putting him on the PS, but the Eagles snatched him up.

sadly, we didn’t have the developmental QB safeguard, if we did, we’d have Sufeld as our back up to Sanchize or maybe he’d even be starting now.

Yup. Which is the point. I really think they can work out something where in exchange for the slot they up the roster spots by 4 or 5 players. That would be something the union should agree to pretty easily (more members)

8 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

You be happy and praise every stupid move this team makes. Dont come at my post like that or please just dont respond. They could've had King over Nicholson eliminating the need for James or Ha Ha coming into this year. Your original post in witch you say James and Nicholson are the same guy is incorrect. Both he and King (the guy I would've taken instead of Nicholson are better than him) Stick to that statement. Don't switch it to we needed a DT more than James, I agreed with that. 

I don’t praise every move the team makes, you don’t know me very well. I’ve been on this board since right around when it was formed 15-16 years ago.

I guess maybe I got confused on what your point was and if that’s the case then I’m sorry. 

I thought you were talking about Payne vs James.

I don’t think I said James & Nicholson are the “same guy.” Maybe you incorrectly interpreted my statement that way, but I didn’t say that. I said we had DJ and a developing Nicholson who had flashed well as a rookie and we needed a NT as bad as any positon on the team so, taking Payne over James made sense, and it still does to me.

On top of that, you build from the trenches out, which, I had said before also. We’ve done that since 2016 with drafting Ioannidis, Allen and this year Payne and Settle.

Archived