RB Frank Gore: 4th all-time rusher

FinSting

6 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

They weren't compilers like Frank Gore

I mean, Martin was less efficient both running the football and catching passes. Not sure how you can say that. Martin played fewer years but still has 300 more rushing attempts than Gore.. I'm not sure why playing more years and having fewer rushing carries is considered a compiler while having more rushing attempts in fewer years and being less efficient isn't. 

13 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Do people in this thread really not understand that you can't just blindly look at a running back's numbers and ignore the blocking they were running behind?

Always forget the name of that FB who blocked for Barry Sanders...

22 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

What an embarrassing bunch of football amateurs on this forum. Truly horrific. 

Neither of you have ever even seen Franco Harris play. If you did, you wouldn't be spewing such unfathomable stupidity.

I implore all of you: Watch any game the Steelers played when Franco Harris was there (there are a bunch on Youtube), and actually watch him. The guy could not break a tackle to save his life. 

Harris was the softest running back to ever play professional football. Bar none. The moment somebody so much as touched him, he went down. If a 165-pound dime back so much as clipped his legs, he went down. Every. Single. Time.

Watch. Him. Play. I promise you, you will change your mind. 

When a running back can't break tackles, he is not a good running back.

Literally every single running back to ever play professional football can gain yards when he's untouched. And virtually every yard Harris ever gained was from doing exactly that. He entered the hole, and as soon as somebody touched him, that was the end of his run. 

Harris was not a Top 500 running back in NFL history. He just wasn't. It's just ludicrous to even try to argue he was when you can watch just about any other running back in NFL history and see him breaking more tackles in one game than Harris broke in his entire career. 

Just pick any random running back. BenJarvus Green-Ellis? Infinitely better running back than Franco Harris.

Harris was the worst running back on his own team every year he was there. The best running back the Steelers had in the 70s was Sidney Thornton. Rocky Bleier was a 16th round pick and a borderline NFL talent himself, but even he was still clearly better than Harris. He could break a tackle every now and then. Harris did not.

There's a reason you can't find any real highlights videos of Harris, and of the ones you do find, about 50% of it will be playing the "Immaculate Reception" over and over again from different angles.

It's because there's just nothing there. He never broke tackles, he wasn't really a make-you-miss guy, and while he had good straight line speed for his size, he only had 5 TDs of 40+ yards in his career (and only 11 of 20+). 

So who wants to watch a "highlight" video of a guy going into a gaping hole and getting tackled by the first guy who touches him? 

Travis Jervey was a better running back than Franco Harris. 

Hold on let me check my birth certificate. Born in 1973. So yeah I did watch him play when I was young. Your entire pathetic post is filled with stupidity. The only thing you are an "expert" at is moronic posts. What's the point in trying to argue with someone so disturbingly delusional that he says that BenJarvus Green-Eillis  and Travis Jervey are better RBs? You have shown everyone on here how comical you are with your drivel. Anyone who just read your comment is now dumber for doing so. Now you are making up your own "breaking tackles" criteria when the video shows him breaking tackles at various points. Please don't reply back, you've already killed off many of my brain cells for reading your humiliating comment. Do us all a favor and stop embarrassing yourself. It's pathetic.

16 minutes ago, Livewire said:

Hold on let me check my birth certificate. Born in 1973. So yeah I did watch him play when I was young. Your entire pathetic post is filled with stupidity. The only thing you are an "expert" at is moronic posts. What's the point in trying to argue with someone so disturbingly delusional that he says that BenJarvus Green-Eillis  and Travis Jervey are better RBs? You have shown everyone on here how comical you are with your drivel. Anyone who just read your comment is now dumber for doing so. Now you are making up your own "breaking tackles" criteria when the video shows him breaking tackles at various points. Please don't reply back, you've already killed off many of my brain cells for reading your humiliating comment. Do us all a favor and stop embarrassing yourself. It's pathetic.

Yeah, you were born during his 2nd season and 11 when he retired. So in other words, you had no idea what you were watching.

That video proves my point. This person attempted to make a Franco Harris "highlights" video. This is a guy who had 3256 regular season touches in his career, and plenty more in the playoffs. 

And the video is 4:28, with 2 whole minutes just replays of the "Immaculate Reception" from different angles (just as I told you was the case).

Oh, and you want to know something else that's hilarious? That very first run in that video was from a preseason game (vs. Falcons). 

That's how difficult it was for the person who made it to find "highlights" of Franco Harris. He had to desperately resort to using a preseason clip. 

"He was soft like a sponge." - The late Dave Duerson on Franco Harris.

Here are clips of BenJarvus Green-Ellis from just one game. Do you honestly think Harris looks more impressive than this: 

You can immediately tell that he's way more powerful. 

If a running back doesn't break tackles, there is absolutely no reason to rate him highly. Every running back who makes it to the NFL can hit a designed hole and go down to the first guy who touches him. 

Just ask Hue Jackson:

"No, me and you, all five of us could have run through that hole,'' Jackson said as the Browns prepare to face the 4-10 Bears on Christmas Eve.

"Inspiring runs, just so we're all on the same page, are when you break tackles. It's the tough runs. It's when everybody is knocking the crap out of you and you find a way to still make 4 or 5 yards. That's running in the National Football League.''

23 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

What an embarrassing bunch of football amateurs on this forum. Truly horrific. 

Neither of you have ever even seen Franco Harris play. If you did, you wouldn't be spewing such unfathomable stupidity.

We don't talk about other posters. Period. 

17 minutes ago, Livewire said:

Your entire pathetic post is filled with stupidity. The only thing you are an "expert" at is moronic posts.

Uncalled for. 

Both of you knock this off.

Gore is a weird guy to evaluate. I feel aside from 1 year (his second) that he wasn't really elite in terms of being a tier 1 RB but the guy is just so incredibly consistent and that does count for something. I'd be more than ok with him making the hall. Having the longevity he has had (and actually producing) is extremely rare and shouldn't be understated. 

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, Martin was less efficient both running the football and catching passes. Not sure how you can say that. Martin played fewer years but still has 300 more rushing attempts than Gore.. I'm not sure why playing more years and having fewer rushing carries is considered a compiler while having more rushing attempts in fewer years and being less efficient isn't. 

Martin's best seasons were more productive than what Gore achieved. I believe he had an outstanding seven years over 1,200 yards, which is decisively better, and was truly great in his age 30 and 31 seasons, which is rare for a HOF back. Injuries caught up to Martin in his final season, but at least we saw an easy HOF selection display those talents on a sustained basis near the end. With Frank Gore, he's been durable, but also mediocre for years. Gore's career 4.4 yards per carry isn't relevant to the back we're seeing today.        

23 hours ago, FinSting said:

Fins brought Gore in to produce in 2018, not for past accomplishments. Did you miss the first post mentioning how Gore converted a 3rd and 19 last Sunday, allowing Miami to keep the ball and run out the clock? Jets had momentum after scoring two unanswered TD's, and with enough time on the clock for them to score again, Gore's play was crucial.

4th quarter, game on the line, Gore made a play. Nothing 'meaningless' about it. 

The Dolphins won't be sniffing the playoffs this season. That's what I'm talking about.

20 hours ago, game3525 said:

Disagree

Martin and Riggins were compilers. Martin only averaged 4.0 ypc for his career and never had a ypc over 4.6. He is also third all time in carries and averaged a whopping 21 carries per a game in 11 years. Riggins was never efficient and made his money as a goal line RB. 

If both of those guys are in, it hard to keep Gore out. 

Yards per carry is irrelevant in this conversation. Curtis Martin was often the focal point of his offenses, and delivered many outstanding seasons over 1,200 yards. Few HOF backs enjoyed the kind of big age 30 and 31 years Martin had, only injuries stopped him at age 32. That's definitely not compiling.

John Riggins was a different, yet truly great RB, who also wasn't a compiler. His next to last season was very productive, and Riggins could beat defenses in short yardage situations, and had surprising speed. Neither Martin or Riggins spent the last few seasons of their careers in mediocrity.  

Archived