RB Frank Gore: 4th all-time rusher

FinSting

1 hour ago, LaserFocus said:

Compilers don't rip off 1,200 seasons in their mid 30s, for a playoff team in their next to last season. In 1984, Riggins also produced five 100 yard plus games.

You have a really weird fascination with an arbitrary cut off of 1200 yards lol

That being said, we largely agree about what will happen with Gore - he will get in eventually, and it's fine. Would he be in my own hall of fame? I don't know, but I have no problem with him getting in. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of what you have said in these posts, but we are on the same page results wise, I believe.  

On 9/21/2018 at 10:07 AM, LaserFocus said:

Yards per carry is irrelevant in this conversation. Curtis Martin was often the focal point of his offenses, and delivered many outstanding seasons over 1,200 yards. Few HOF backs enjoyed the kind of big age 30 and 31 years Martin had, only injuries stopped him at age 32. That's definitely not compiling.

John Riggins was a different, yet truly great RB, who also wasn't a compiler. His next to last season was very productive, and Riggins could beat defenses in short yardage situations, and had surprising speed. Neither Martin or Riggins spent the last few seasons of their careers in mediocrity.  

I don' t think you understand what a compiler is. 

A compiler is a player how needs a ton of volume to be productive. Both Martin and Riggins were textbook examples of this. Gore never had the volume Maritn had, yet he was nearly just as productive and more efficient. 

6 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Compilers don't rip off 1,200 seasons in their mid 30s, for a playoff team in their next to last season. In 1984, Riggins also produced five 100 yard plus games.

Yeah, and both of those seasons were under 4 yards a clip. Anyone can get to 1200 yards if you're given the ball enough. The majority of his career, including his days with the Jets, weren't that impressive. Riggins legacy essentially lives off of two star shooting seasons where he scored a ton of touchdowns, and his run in Super Bowl 17. He was never the best runner in the league or close to it. He played 14 seasons, and most of them aren't very remarkable for a HOF player. All those years he made one Pro Bowl, and one first team AP. 

9 hours ago, game3525 said:

I don' t think you understand what compiler is. 

A compiler is a player how needs a ton of volume to be productive. Both Martin and Riggins were textbook examples of this. Gore never had the volume Maritn had, yet he was nearly just as productive and more efficient. 

Martin and Riggins would not have been easy HOF picks if it was all about volume. Ditto for Jerome Bettis. Gore did have an impressive peak, but the issue now is about quality. He's now inching forward with 60 yard rushing days, and that's been going on for years. He rarely touches 100 yards anymore, and that's revealing.

On 9/20/2018 at 1:40 PM, MWil23 said:

You could make the argument that in his prime he was the best/one of the best (He led the NFL in All Purpose yards in 2006)

Perhaps but he was 4th in yards from scrimmage and tied for 11th in TDs.

I'd say that is his biggest knock: he was never the guy in any given year. Top 3-5 for a few years? You could make that argument.

All in all, I think he'll end up waiting for a while, but will get in.

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Yeah, and both of those seasons were under 4 yards a clip. Anyone can get to 1200 yards if you're given the ball enough. The majority of his career, including his days with the Jets, weren't that impressive. Riggins legacy essentially lives off of two star shooting seasons where he scored a ton of touchdowns, and his run in Super Bowl 17. He was never the best runner in the league or close to it. He played 14 seasons, and most of them aren't very remarkable for a HOF player. All those years he made one Pro Bowl, and one first team AP. 

Like baseball's OPS, yards per carry for a RB can easily be overvalued. Greatness for a RB is about carrying the attack, if anyone thinks Alvin Kamera will be in the HOF, they are mistaken. Riggins was in the grouping of the top backs in the NFL, and his legacy is secure as a late bloomer who proved his case on the biggest stage. The lifetime stats are extremely impressive, and unlike Gore, Riggins was a force in his next to last season. No compiling here. Like Bettis, Riggins yards per carry was simply limited by all those valuable short yardage situations he had to convert for his teams.   

2 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Like baseball's OPS, yards per carry for a RB can easily be overvalued. Greatness for a RB is about carrying the attack, if anyone thinks Alvin Kamera will be in the HOF, they are mistaken. Riggins was in the grouping of the top backs in the NFL, and his legacy is secure as a late bloomer who proved his case on the biggest stage. The lifetime stats are extremely impressive, and unlike Gore, Riggins was a force in his next to last season. No compiling here. Like Bettis, Riggins yards per carry was simply limited by all those valuable short yardage situations he had to convert for his teams.   

Are you saying that you can only be a compiler at the end of your career?  Because Riggins has a bunch of seasons that would qualify for your "compiler" mark for Gore at 60 yards per game.  Riggins didn't even average 60 yards a game for the first 8 years of his career, which should have been his prime.  Heck extend that to 11 seasons and it barely nudges past 60. 

So basically he was a career compiler until the Washington offense exploded and he got a bunch of carries and goal line touches to get a few bigger yardage/ touchdown seasons at the end before finally breaking down.

Make no mistake:  he's in the HOF because of the 1982 postseason, not because he was some all time rushing talent. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

My favorite part is how of course bettis wasn't a compiler either....

Do the research, Bettis was a key part of the offense in 2004, ripping off six 100 yard games in his last eight. And in a reserve role in 2005, he delivered a crucial performance in a key regular season win over Chicago. Obviously, not a back hanging around just to add to his numbers. In 2002-2003, injuries slowed Bettis down. 

6 hours ago, Jetzger said:

Are you saying that you can only be a compiler at the end of your career?  Because Riggins has a bunch of seasons that would qualify for your "compiler" mark for Gore at 60 yards per game.  Riggins didn't even average 60 yards a game for the first 8 years of his career, which should have been his prime.  Heck extend that to 11 seasons and it barely nudges past 60. 

So basically he was a career compiler until the Washington offense exploded and he got a bunch of carries and goal line touches to get a few bigger yardage/ touchdown seasons at the end before finally breaking down.

Make no mistake:  he's in the HOF because of the 1982 postseason, not because he was some all time rushing talent. 

Riggins was just a late bloomer who went to the right team, and his career took off. I don't know how a younger back can be called a compiler, if they're not featured like others. Riggins also missed an entire season because of a knee injury. He's not elite in the same way Barry Sanders and Walter Payton are, but still an easy HOF choice. Along with Bettis, among the greatest big RBs to ever play this game. 

On 9/20/2018 at 2:14 PM, Forge said:

I mean, Martin was less efficient both running the football and catching passes. Not sure how you can say that. Martin played fewer years but still has 300 more rushing attempts than Gore.. I'm not sure why playing more years and having fewer rushing carries is considered a compiler while having more rushing attempts in fewer years and being less efficient isn't. 

Curtis played in a run first offense nearly his entire career. Even the year Vinny threw the ball nearly 600 times Curtis still ran it 316 times which was still 4 more runs than Gore's career high.  Curtis spent his entire career as the sole runningback and usually #1 offensive weapon on all his teams outside of the last year where he got injured. He never had change of pace backs like Kendall Hunter (and Colin Kaepernick). I'm not saying that makes one better or worse. Just adding context. 

Archived