Do we need a $25,000,000 a yr Qb?

deuces22wild

With how our roster is built do we need to spend $25,000,000 a year on QB?

I have thought about this plenty over the years. The Hawks were winning ball games when they had a cheap QB and and stacked def. Jags are rocked up and can win it all the year. Bortles has to be in the bottom 1/3 in Qb rankings. 

The weapons we have on O. With the way the line has been protecting the QB. The talent along the def line. The backers we have. Should we be using that $25,000,000 to help sign Marpet, Kwon, and Smith? Maybe a bigtime CB and S as well. 

There s a good chance that in 2 yrs the cap will be near 200 million. In the Bucs case, the likely outcome will be to pay Winston the 5th yr option, then franchise him the next season if needed.

The Steelers are a good example of paying a Qb a lot of money and still being very good.  Why?  They continue to draft well and player development.  I m not worried about the Bucs cap situation.  Finally, they are seeing benefits from drafting and player development, which was not good enough under Allen and Dom.

The top ten QBs 

1) Rodgers $33.5

2) Ryan $30

3) Cousins $28

4) Goroppollo $27.5

5) Stafford $27

6) Carr $25

7) Brees $25

8) Luck $24.6

9) Smith $23.5

10) Flacco $22.1

Of that group which guy is carrying their team... Rodgers, Brees, and.... 

If a team is built right does a Qb really need to be paid $10+ per more than the next best player on the team? I understand Qb league etc etc but that top ten list is garbage as far as I am concerned. 

2 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

If there's a QB available that's worth that much? Or if we have one on our roster at some point that would deserve that much? Yeah, sign him. 

But I'm not sure who you have in mind that would come across with a chance to sign for that?

Just in general. I'm guessing when Winston is up he isn't signing for $12 per season either.

I see what your saying and I don’t always agree with deuces22wild but I agree here.  

Too many guys like cousins, Garoppolo, matt Ryan, Stafford- good QBs who are being paid as elite franchise carriers. 

Rodgers Brady and when Andrew luck is healthy, are guys in that category who have basically elevated the talent around them to sustain success year after year. 

Atleast the jags were able to pay Bortles who has been solid, at a reasonable rate for a starting qb of a division winner and afc title appearance. He seems to be improving. 

Thats why it sickens me when people talk about paying winston 25 million or so. He’s not even remotely worth it Bc his success has been below average. 

Finding a qb is all on scouting. But the consistency around a strong built team is to find a guy who can make all the throws , is accurate, consistent and doesn’t make dumb throws to put his team behind. Fitzpatrick doesn’t have elite arm talent but his iq and ability to process reads and get it out quickly has kept him Here this long. Giving him remarkable weapons has made him better because he’s smart enough and knows how to execute and hit them when they’re open. 

Winson just doesn’t see the field well enough to utilize our what 6 weapon arsenal. It’s so deep brate and Humph have been quiet. 

Archived