Jump to content
Desperado82

Beast Of The East - NFC East Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

The Giants will clearly get on track soon and go on a 4-5 game winning streak, but I see them as an 8-8 team. Philly looks better than last year but I'm not convinced they are better than us. And then Washington. Scary offense but they scream "scariest average team in the NFL" to me. I still think we're the best team in this division by a decent margin. 

 

Our defense is awful, but we will be getting Irving, Moore, and Taco back soon (this is a joke, as Taco has been as effective as Kellen Moore). I'm actually excited about our secondary going forward. For one, I think Jourdan Lewis is going to be pretty solid, and Anthony Brown is a stud (though still learning and growing). And then as injury-prone as Scandrick is, I see him having an Elvis Andrus type year, where he plays like the player we know he absolutely can be. When do we get him back?

 

But Byron Jones is a problem, and not in the good way. Aside from playing some decent man defense on Gronk, has he done a single thing in a Cowboys uniform? Even a pass breakup? I don't claim to know Byron's game, but every time a game kick's off, he's one of the few Cowboys I think about because we know what his "potential" is. But he's like an elite offensive lineman - you never hear his name called. EVER. (Well unless you're Cris Collinsworth)

And then this may just be complaining to complain, but Awuzie just has the feel of that talented DB who will always stay injured. I'm admittedly really excited to see him, but can he please stay healthy???

Jeff Heath is just not an NFL starting caliber player. He couldn't cover Vince Wilfork and it seems he tackles and injures his own teammates more than he tackles the opposition. Safety is the team's biggest concern, even with Scandrick, Carroll (bleh), and Awuzie out at the CB spot. At the moment, we have two reserves manning our safety spots. This is truthfully the make it or break it year for Byron Imo.

I'm actually optimistic about our defensive line going forward. Lawrence so far has played like a MEGA STAR. Obviously he won't keep up this Von Miller-like play but he's shown that he clearly has evolved his game and has worked hard to become a stud end. I don't think I'm overreacting, but his play so far has been Von-esque. Maliek Collins was the DL I was most excited for, and I actually haven't paid too much attention, but via Twitter, seems like he's always in the backfield or ahead of the snap to the QB. David Irving flashed star potential when he played, and obviously you can't bank on him being a star just due to a few games, but he's an athletic monster and he should definitely be a 6-7 sack a year guy. Crawford and Mayowa are nothing more than rotation guys imo. And then DaMontre Moore is a boom or bust type guy to me. Certainly happy to see him return. Tapper is a solid rotation guy for the future who should take all of Mayowa's snaps soon. Then that leaves Taco, who has been a major disappointment in his very, very short career so far. Only 2 games into his career so no reason to scream bust or panic, but aside from a near safety in preseason, he's been a ghost. I actually was wanting TJ Watt before the draft but was happy to get Taco instead. But man he has got to do something.

 

To linebackers. Lee is a top 3 LB in the league. Maybe even the 2nd best LB. Now he had a horrific game on Sunday but he's a superstar and we are so fortunate to have him. Jaylon Smith will be fun to watch but I'm still in the middle on him. On one hand he's clearly as "talented" as any guy we have. But when you watch him play I think you can tell he lacks the explosiveness that would make him an unquestioned star (not his fault of course). I don't think he should be starting at the moment. Ease him in. Don't think too much of Damien Wilson and Anthony Hitchens is out a while as we all know.

 

 

OFFENSE

 

Dak has not been good so far. No other way to put it. Some of it is on his accuracy, but a lot is on this underwhelming offensive line play. Someone correct me if I'm completely wrong, but I feel like Travis Frederick has constantly gotten blown up this year. To be fair he played maybe the best run stopper (Snacks) in the league, but Fredbeard is the best C in the game. And then Tyron has the case of the penalties so far. La'el is clearly a work in progress and he actually did decent against Von - until Von was rushing the QB every single snap in the 2nd half, where La'el got manhandled. We have three of the top 10 overall offensive lineman in the league, and possibly the very best (Tyron) and another top 3-5 guy in the league (Martin), but they need to get it together.

Zeke does look a little "fatter" and you can tell he definitely is less conditioned than last. Even with last game, Zeke is still the most talented runner in the league (Bell is the best overall player as a RB with his pass catching ability) and for him to ever get any less than 50 yards and under 4.0 ypc in a game with this OL is a travesty.

 

WR: I've never been the biggest fan of Dez. Fact: He does have the most TD over the last 7 years or whatever and he is POSSIBLY the best one-on-one threat inside the 10 in the NFL, but he's also not played like a #1 WR for a while now. A lot of that is on his lack of route running and him not able to get separation. He also gets completely locked down by opposing elite threats, namely Jenkins and Norman as of late. When you look at the other elite receivers TODAY, you really can't even compare Dez to them. Julio, Brown, Odell, Green, and now even Mike Evans. I'm also taking Jordy Nelson over him, but I'll leave him out of this conversation. But while Dez himself lacks in those areas, an infuriating aspect of this offense is our lack of creativity. MOVE DEZ AROUND. Line up him outside, line him up inside. And Dez's best trait is his size and strength, and the difficulty it is to take him down. Why do we not run screen plays for him? You have one of the best blocking WR in the league in Williams. Just get Dez the ball. I'm not excusing his weak play, but far too many times do I see Dez with 8 or 9 targets and 2 catches. At the very least get him the ball on a screen so he can get in a rhythm.

 

Our other receivers: Terrance Williams is a highly under appreciated player here. Is he a legit #2 WR numbers-wise? No. But in a run heavy offense that also has highly targeted Dez and Jason Witten, he doesn't need to be. He is a deep threat. Give him one or two deep shots a game. But he does move the chains. Cole Beasley is a terror to guard but I get the sense that teams have figured out how to at least limit him from tearing up defense on a daily basis. After that our WR core isn't much. Butler is nothing more than a guy who gets a deep target every now and then, and Switzer and Brown have yet to get any true playing time. I do like those two though, so I'm excited to see when we start using them. My hope is that in the future, Noah Brown turns into a Mohammed Sanu-type WR who will have the potential for multiple #1 receiver type games.

Tight end: Jason Witten is the best, enough said. But I'm excited for when we get Rico. He's raw and it's a near guarantee he'll make a number of mistakes when he plays, but when he gets it all together, I really think we have a Jimmy Graham type nightmare.

 

Really bored this morning so I decided to write this up. All in all there really isn't a reason to panic imo. Dak is so much better than what he's shown and same goes for the offensive line. Defense is getting more guys on the line back. The real concern is health is our secondary. I'm really excited for Lewis and Brown, and I'm thinking Scandrick returns soon and has a huge year, but our safeties are a mess and I'm not sure Chidobe Awuzie will be healthy or not.

 

10-6 season and playoffs is what we have I think.

Edited by Tyronnosaurus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

The Giants will clearly get on track soon and go on a 4-5 game winning streak, but I see them as an 8-8 team. Philly looks better than last year but I'm not convinced they are better than us. And then Washington. Scary offense but they scream "scariest average team in the NFL" to me. I still think we're the best team in this division by a decent margin. 

 

Our defense is awful, but we will be getting Irving, Moore, and Taco back soon (this is a joke, as Taco has been as effective as Kellen Moore). I'm actually excited about our secondary going forward. For one, I think Jourdan Lewis is going to be pretty solid, and Anthony Brown is a stud (though still learning and growing). And then as injury-prone as Scandrick is, I see him having an Elvis Andrus type year, where he plays like the player we know he absolutely can be. When do we get him back?

 

But Byron Jones is a problem, and not in the good way. Aside from playing some decent man defense on Gronk, has he done a single thing in a Cowboys uniform? Even a pass breakup? I don't claim to know Byron's game, but every time a game kick's off, he's one of the few Cowboys I think about because we know what his "potential" is. But he's like an elite offensive lineman - you never hear his name called. EVER. (Well unless you're Cris Collinsworth)

And then this may just be complaining to complain, but Awuzie just has the feel of that talented DB who will always stay injured. I'm admittedly really excited to see him, but can he please stay healthy???

Jeff Heath is just not an NFL starting caliber player. He couldn't cover Vince Wilfork and it seems he tackles and injures his own teammates more than he tackles the opposition. Safety is the team's biggest concern, even with Scandrick, Carroll (bleh), and Awuzie out at the CB spot. At the moment, we have two reserves manning our safety spots. This is truthfully the make it or break it year for Byron Imo.

I'm actually optimistic about our defensive line going forward. Lawrence so far has played like a MEGA STAR. Obviously he won't keep up this Von Miller-like play but he's shown that he clearly has evolved his game and has worked hard to become a stud end. I don't think I'm overreacting, but his play so far has been Von-esque. Maliek Collins was the DL I was most excited for, and I actually haven't paid too much attention, but via Twitter, seems like he's always in the backfield or ahead of the snap to the QB. David Irving flashed star potential when he played, and obviously you can't bank on him being a star just due to a few games, but he's an athletic monster and he should definitely be a 6-7 sack a year guy. Crawford and Mayowa are nothing more than rotation guys imo. And then DaMontre Moore is a boom or bust type guy to me. Certainly happy to see him return. Tapper is a solid rotation guy for the future who should take all of Mayowa's snaps soon. Then that leaves Taco, who has been a major disappointment in his very, very short career so far. Only 2 games into his career so no reason to scream bust or panic, but aside from a near safety in preseason, he's been a ghost. I actually was wanting TJ Watt before the draft but was happy to get Taco instead. But man he has got to do something.

 

To linebackers. Lee is a top 3 LB in the league. Maybe even the 2nd best LB. Now he had a horrific game on Sunday but he's a superstar and we are so fortunate to have him. Jaylon Smith will be fun to watch but I'm still in the middle on him. On one hand he's clearly as "talented" as any guy we have. But when you watch him play I think you can tell he lacks the explosiveness that would make him an unquestioned star (not his fault of course). I don't think he should be starting at the moment. Ease him in. Don't think too much of Damien Wilson and Anthony Hitchens is out a while as we all know.

 

 

OFFENSE

 

Dak has not been good so far. No other way to put it. Some of it is on his accuracy, but a lot is on this underwhelming offensive line play. Someone correct me if I'm completely wrong, but I feel like Travis Frederick has constantly gotten blown up this year. To be fair he played maybe the best run stopper (Snacks) in the league, but Fredbeard is the best C in the game. And then Tyron has the case of the penalties so far. La'el is clearly a work in progress and he actually did decent against Von - until Von was rushing the QB every single snap in the 2nd half, where La'el got manhandled. We have three of the top 10 overall offensive lineman in the league, and possibly the very best (Tyron) and another top 3-5 guy in the league (Martin), but they need to get it together.

Zeke does look a little "fatter" and you can tell he definitely is less conditioned than last. Even with last game, Zeke is still the most talented runner in the league (Bell is the best overall player as a RB with his pass catching ability) and for him to ever get any less than 50 yards and under 4.0 ypc in a game with this OL is a travesty.

 

WR: I've never been the biggest fan of Dez. Fact: He does have the most TD over the last 7 years or whatever and he is POSSIBLY the best one-on-one threat inside the 10 in the NFL, but he's also not played like a #1 WR for a while now. A lot of that is on his lack of route running and him not able to get separation. He also gets completely locked down by opposing elite threats, namely Jenkins and Norman as of late. When you look at the other elite receivers TODAY, you really can't even compare Dez to them. Julio, Brown, Odell, Green, and now even Mike Evans. I'm also taking Jordy Nelson over him, but I'll leave him out of this conversation. But while Dez himself lacks in those areas, an infuriating aspect of this offense is our lack of creativity. MOVE DEZ AROUND. Line up him outside, line him up inside. And Dez's best trait is his size and strength, and the difficulty it is to take him down. Why do we not run screen plays for him? You have one of the best blocking WR in the league in Williams. Just get Dez the ball. I'm not excusing his weak play, but far too many times do I see Dez with 8 or 9 targets and 2 catches. At the very least get him the ball on a screen so he can get in a rhythm.

 

Our other receivers: Terrance Williams is a highly under appreciated player here. Is he a legit #2 WR numbers-wise? No. But in a run heavy offense that also has highly targeted Dez and Jason Witten, he doesn't need to be. He is a deep threat. Give him one or two deep shots a game. But he does move the chains. Cole Beasley is a terror to guard but I get the sense that teams have figured out how to at least limit him from tearing up defense on a daily basis. After that our WR core isn't much. Butler is nothing more than a guy who gets a deep target every now and then, and Switzer and Brown have yet to get any true playing time. I do like those two though, so I'm excited to see when we start using them. My hope is that in the future, Noah Brown turns into a Mohammed Sanu-type WR who will have the potential for multiple #1 receiver type games.

Tight end: Jason Witten is the best, enough said. But I'm excited for when we get Rico. He's raw and it's a near guarantee he'll make a number of mistakes when he plays, but when he gets it all together, I really think we have a Jimmy Graham type nightmare.

 

Really bored this morning so I decided to write this up. All in all there really isn't a reason to panic imo. Dak is so much better than what he's shown and same goes for the offensive line. Defense is getting more guys on the line back. The real concern is health is our secondary. I'm really excited for Lewis and Brown, and I'm thinking Scandrick returns soon and has a huge year, but our safeties are a mess and I'm not sure Chidobe Awuzie will be healthy or not.

 

10-6 season and playoffs is what we have I think.

I am just too lazy/depressed right now to break down your comments, but I will add it was a very good post overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn....2-2.

Wins against Giants and cards....both with losing records. Loses against to winning record teams. Obviously not an exact science but hard to figure out who or what this team is this year.

Giants losing and being 0-4 takes a bit of the sting out of todays loss but the eagles pulled one out of there backside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

Damn....2-2.

Wins against Giants and cards....both with losing records. Loses against to winning record teams. Obviously not an exact science but hard to figure out who or what this team is this year.

Giants losing and being 0-4 takes a bit of the sting out of todays loss but the eagles pulled one out of there backside.

Our team just can not consistently protect at the LOS. Which is our identity We need to fix it quick or we might be in for a disappointing season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 5 and Giants have lost all of their WR’s in a single game.

 

OBJ - carted off

Marshal - carted off

Shepard - helped off ruled out rest

Harris - helped off rulednout rest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Week 5 and Giants have lost all of their WR’s in a single game.

 

OBJ - carted off

Marshal - carted off

Shepard - helped off ruled out rest

Harris - helped off rulednout rest 

Yeah, that's a heck of a thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We damn well better beat Philly when we face them in a few weeks. Yea yea, don't look ahead, I get it. But we are already 2 games back to them. And the skins D looks very strong. Winning division games will be the only thing to save our bacon.

I'm hoping now that all of our defense will be in full strength from suspensions and injury after the by we had better get on a run or we'll be picking in the top 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:

We damn well better beat Philly when we face them in a few weeks. Yea yea, don't look ahead, I get it. But we are already 2 games back to them. And the skins D looks very strong. Winning division games will be the only thing to save our bacon.

I'm hoping now that all of our defense will be in full strength from suspensions and injury after the by we had better get on a run or we'll be picking in the top 10.

I think we'll split. If the Eagles win the one at home to finish the season, that's ok with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Cam Newton went and pulled a Full Eli last night. Giving up 3 Int’s and 2 of them he was back up in their own end zone making for easy points for stupid iggles. Smfh 

 

my FB timeline is full of eagle puke stains! Thanks Carolina now I have to deal with all the inflated heads of iggle phanatics!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×