Beast Of The East - NFC East Discussion Thread

D82

4 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Two games were lost directly to the crap defense we continually put out there. Ws vs the Rams and GB the Cowboys are 7-2 instead of 5-4 right now. But other than Lawrence, Collins and Jourdan Lewis, who can the Cowboys depend on to make plays? Lee is great but undependable and so is Awuzie. Byron Jones is not an impactful player and Jaylon looks lost out there. The top end talent is simply not there. 

As for losing interest in the NFL, I agree 100%. I use to be glued to the TV waiting to watch some football... now it doesn't bother me if I miss the games. I blame the referees who decide games with blown calls (w/o a known punishment), the owner's responses to player protests and Goodell as the reason why  I don't care about the NFL that much anymore.  

I only watch Cowboys games and Monday Night/Sunday Night games (and I usually tune out around halftime unless it's the Patriots or Seahawks.)

5 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Two games were lost directly to the crap defense we continually put out there. Ws vs the Rams and GB the Cowboys are 7-2 instead of 5-4 right now. But other than Lawrence, Collins and Jourdan Lewis, who can the Cowboys depend on to make plays? Lee is great but undependable and so is Awuzie. Byron Jones is not an impactful player and Jaylon looks lost out there. The top end talent is simply not there. 

As for losing interest in the NFL, I agree 100%. I use to be glued to the TV waiting to watch some football... now it doesn't bother me if I miss the games. I blame the referees who decide games with blown calls (w/o a known punishment), the owner's responses to player protests and Goodell as the reason why  I don't care about the NFL that much anymore.  

On defense, right now I'd say our dependable guys are: 

Lawrence, Collins, Lewis and Irving. Hitchens is fairly decent as well. 

As you mentioned, Lee is our best player. No question. Just not dependable. I wouldn't list Awuzie in the same category as of yet, he's dealing with a hammy and the staff is being cautious about it - have no issues with that. Jones isn't an impact player, but I really believe he isn't being utilized correctly. Church seems to be doing just fine in a new scheme as is Carr.

Jaylon has made some plays, but I think it's important to look at what he came back from and realize he is essentially still a rookie. The fact he's even playing football at all is amazing. He'll get better, the talent is there he just needs to grow and mature as a player, that'll happen. 

I agree we need to start bringing in some more impact players on defense and shoring up our depth on that side of the ball. I would dedicate our free agent signings and most of our draft resources to upgrading the defense and finding a quality backup OT. I'd also look at trying to find a deep threat at receiver or heck, even TE. 

Its easy to say we need to bring in more impact players. But its not easy to do.

The majority of our top picks have been spent on defense. But most dont pan out as hoped, which is the risk you run when you grab at particular positions (DL alone has seen how many top half round picks?) of need. On paper these players look good and fit the bill, but if you just draft quality footballers instead at any position you build a winner. 

Houston had Watt and Mercilus. They draft Clowney. Need? No. But a great footballer. Green Bay picked Rodgers. Need? Not at that point. But a great footballer. These are just small examples.

This team has drafted pretty well - but Id like to see who they wouod have picked over Jones if they didnt feel the absolute need for a DB on a struggling secondary at that point. Goldman? Funchess? Kikaha? All somewhat needs at that point as well. And maybe not stud players. But who knows what would change if they had come here?

If we werent so hungry for a pass rusher, maybe we would have had Watt over Charlton, the better footballer over the better pure rush prospect? If we werent so desperate for a rusher, maybe AJ Cann or Tyler Lockett instead of Randy Gregory? 

At some point we have to worry about simply building the best flotball roster possible. If the player plays someplace we have good players, too bad - figure.out a way to get them on the field together. Stop being so rigid in the gameplanning snd get good players. If you stack your D then cool. If not, cool too. Just stack your ROSTER.

31 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I'm not ready to give up on Jones yet...but I really wanted Landon Collins that year.

Im not giving up on him either entirely. But at this point I think its a little apparent he is what he is - a do it all versatile DB who can cover decently, tackle consistently, and just be a good all around player. Which isnt bad. But when this team needed an impact, especially with 3/4 of the secondary having left, he is not the guy who will step up and make that play.

Collins fills a different role. Less range, more boomstick, good deep half guy. Byron and Collins would make a great tandem with Collins at robber and Byron at centerfield. We could have used either role honestly - but Collins looks far more the impact player to this point. But, he also wasnt the "ready now" prospect like we shot for when picking Byron.

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Its easy to say we need to bring in more impact players. But its not easy to do.

The majority of our top picks have been spent on defense. But most dont pan out as hoped, which is the risk you run when you grab at particular positions (DL alone has seen how many top half round picks?) of need. On paper these players look good and fit the bill, but if you just draft quality footballers instead at any position you build a winner. 

Houston had Watt and Mercilus. They draft Clowney. Need? No. But a great footballer. Green Bay picked Rodgers. Need? Not at that point. But a great footballer. These are just small examples.

This team has drafted pretty well - but Id like to see who they wouod have picked over Jones if they didnt feel the absolute need for a DB on a struggling secondary at that point. Goldman? Funchess? Kikaha? All somewhat needs at that point as well. And maybe not stud players. But who knows what would change if they had come here?

If we werent so hungry for a pass rusher, maybe we would have had Watt over Charlton, the better footballer over the better pure rush prospect? If we werent so desperate for a rusher, maybe AJ Cann or Tyler Lockett instead of Randy Gregory? 

At some point we have to worry about simply building the best flotball roster possible. If the player plays someplace we have good players, too bad - figure.out a way to get them on the field together. Stop being so rigid in the gameplanning snd get good players. If you stack your D then cool. If not, cool too. Just stack your ROSTER.

Part of the problem is JJ thinks that he can get 1st round talent at bargain prices. Like Gregory for instance. We all KNEW he could rush the passer and looks loaded with potential. But there was a reason he dropped from a top 10 talent to the 2nd round. He cant stay clean. That is one 2nd round pick pissed away. 

J. Smith is another example. A top 5 pick severely injured, fell to the 2nd and we nabbed him. That's two 2nd round picks that never happened for us. 

He does this often, if it wasn't for this injury or that drug problem or his dubious reputation or whatever, he would have been a 1st rounder. And who rolls the dice???

So, here we are.

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

Part of the problem is JJ thinks that he can get 1st round talent at bargain prices. Like Gregory for instance. We all KNEW he could rush the passer and looks loaded with potential. But there was a reason he dropped from a top 10 talent to the 2nd round. He cant stay clean. That is one 2nd round pick pissed away. 

J. Smith is another example. A top 5 pick severely injured, fell to the 2nd and we nabbed him. That's two 2nd round picks that never happened for us. 

He does this often, if it wasn't for this injury or that drug problem or his dubious reputation or whatever, he would have been a 1st rounder. And who rolls the dice???

So, here we are.

I'd say it's a little early to dismiss Smith.

While unlikely, it is possible Gregory comes back this year or at the latest next season. It remains to be seen what path his career will take. We've seen other players come back before.

6 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I'd say it's a little early to dismiss Smith.

While unlikely, it is possible Gregory comes back this year or at the latest next season. It remains to be seen what path his career will take. We've seen other players come back before.

Gotta hand it to ya Des, if anything you're an optimistic guy.

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

So, here we are.

I believe the Randy Gregory pick was a good chance to take. He was far away the best player left on the board and the team thought they could help him.

The J. Smith pick over Jack though was terrible. If we took Zeke over Ramsey because we were in "win now" mode with Romo, then they should've never taken a LB who would sit out a year in the 2nd round of the draft. 

Let's not forget all the 2nd round picks on TEs the team wasted: Martellus Bennett and Gavin Escobar come to mind...

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Clearly we aren't going to make the playoffs. Even tho this never happens I'd like to see what the bench scrubs can do. Evaluate the whole roster. I say put Rush in as well just to see what we have. Dak would still be the #1, but I would like to see Rush and what he can do.

That's not good for relations between you and your QB if you give any sort of indication of him not being the guy. It would quite possibly lead to him going the road of RG3

1 minute ago, Danger said:

That's not good for relations between you and your QB if you give any sort of indication of him not being the guy. It would quite possibly lead to him going the road of RG3

That's why I prefaced it with "this never happens". I get it and don't disagree. Just thinking out loud.