NFL General Random Thoughts Thread

11sanchez11

9 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

How do you rebuild a bad football team?  Asking for a friend...

1. Build the trenches
  2. Get a HC/OC that is aggressive and understands the importance of an efficient passing game, and doesn't feel the need to constantly run into 8/9 man boxes.
  3. Make sure your QB can throw the football and is not named Mitchell Turbisky...
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FinSting said:

So...what Gruden is doing right now in Oakland, right?

Nope. He traded his best player on a team that 2 years ago was 12-4. The Rams in 2011 that wasnt the case and the Rams best player was Chris Long and he was the same age that season as Mack is. Long wasnt the caliber of player Mack is. 

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Explosive deep threat WRs are the way to go.  Regardless of their actual production.  When I look at DJax, Will Fuller, Ty Hill, and even John Ross, they create space on the field and make windows easier for QBs.  Offenses look much better with those guys on the field...

TyFreak Hill, Sammy Watkins...

The running back thing was a perfect storm - I forget some of the guys names now, but Denver had a crazy streak of running backs producing - which indicated it was the system and blocking. Expanding on that, and this is really oversimplifying the running back position, but if the 9 guys blocking were able to completely block all 11 defenders, you and I would be able to run the ball well in the NFL. Playing RB is obviously not that simple, but between those two examples and then factor in that for whatever reason college football didn't produce good running backs to the NFL for a few years, and you have that perfect storm.

What I find interesting is the thoughts on QBs. For a while there it seemed like the great QB play was a product of the rule changes - and certainly some of the numbers are from that. But through the past 20 years or so, it's really been three guys taking turns propping QB play up to insane levels: Manning, Brees, and Brady. Remove those three from the equation and you're left with:

The only guy close to them - Rodgers

"Are they elite?" - guys that we argued about for years - Eli, Flacco, Ben, Rivers

The "future" - Wilson, Luck, RG3, Winston, Mariota

The actual future - Goff, Wentz

IMO Manning, Brees and Brady are the three best QBs to ever play the game. When Rodgers is done he might end up being up there. I think that because these guys were still blowing up when Wilson, Luck and RG3 took the league by storm that it created this perception - that the NFL in its current state is flooded with great QB play. But we've seen all of those guys spectacularly fail to come close to Manning/Brees/Brady. Logic dictates that the three best QBs in NFL history would not be playing at the same time - but even accounting for era, that's exactly what I think happened. Remove them and you're left with a group of QBs that looks mostly about how good QBs were (for their era) throughout history.

5 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Explosive deep threat WRs are the way to go.  Regardless of their actual production.  When I look at DJax, Will Fuller, Ty Hill, and even John Ross, they create space on the field and make windows easier for QBs.  Offenses look much better with those guys on the field...

Niners are feeling this right now with Goodwin hurt. Our receivers struggled to create separation against Detroit even after Slay got knocked out of the game. 

• Like 1